Author Topic: Your best and your worst ice fishing investment  (Read 11358 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
Re: Your best and your worst ice fishing investment
« Reply #90 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:55 PM »
FL-18 ...  then clam shelter....then shark power ice auger...then warm pack boots....Pack boots should be your first purchase....at least 1200g of thinsulate.
Worst was the  used underwater camera...took it out 3-4 times, waste of time imo if you like to move a lot, takes two holes to set up on a spot.

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Best investment is my Honda Lite auger and Marcum flasher.

Worst investment was my Eagle Claw inline reel-nothing but a constant tangled up mess. Donated to landfill.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Best = flasher, this will save you tons of time finding fish! (I like my vexilar fl-12)
Worst = paid $50/each for (2) square frabill minnow keepers, and both leaked and could not hold up to ice fishing.  Pretty sure they were designed for summer. 

Offline mdeutsch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 30, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Best:
Quality clothing and boots (you usually get what you pay for)
6" Nils hand auger (Can't believe I ever used that other brand unit with 8" Chinese blades)

Worst:
Underwater camera (It looked like such a good idea in the store)

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Buy cheap, buy twice!  Buy quality the first time.  And as others have said, you'll figure out what you need.  You learn more than you realize ice fishing.  We've all bought stuff we thought for sure we would need or use but never do.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:57 AM »
I generally fish with what most on here would refer to, as "cheap" rods.  I use HT rods and reels and have never had an issue with them.  Prior to that, I had homemade rods that were from the tips of old soft water rods and a broom handle grip, the reel was either two pegs that ya wrap the line on, or, a simple spool reel clamped in place with a couple of Zip ties and then wrapped with electrical tape to keep the plastic Zip ties from catching on the line.  I have been ice fishing for the better part of 45 years, and though I will admit, I don't usually go for a lot of larger species, like pike, I do fish a lot for walleyes.  Most of my fishing is for crappie and bluegill (due to that is what is most abundant in my area) and have caught perch, eel pout, and catfish.  The most expensive rod and reel combo I own, was $29.00, and I have and use, all of the rods I have ever owned.  Oh, I suppose it's great to have the extra cash to spend on expensive rods and reels, but I haven't ever seen any need, as mine have always done the job.  My portable hut is a Shappell 2 person suitcase style, which I didn't buy, but rather got as a gift from the better half. It is light weight, fits in the trunk of a car, and was less than $200.00 new.  It serves the purpose of keeping the wind off, but then, I'm not out there to kick back and have a camping trip, just catch fish.  I also have what most would consider a "cheap" sonar, a Showdown Troller, just use the AA batteries, made my own case, and spent a total of $149.00 on it.  I see everything the guys I fish with see on the more expensive Vex flasher units, at a fraction of the cost, and again, have never had any more problems than they have had with the Vex units.  I enjoy my outings, when I get the time to do it, just as much as everyone else that spent 3-4 time the cash out for the same "gear".  IMO, what ever you are willing to spend, be happy with it. When I first started ice fishing, it was usually hand lines with a small bobber, and you hand over hand pulled the fish in!  I had fun then, just as well as I do now.  I will admit, as I have grown older, that the purchase of a used electric auger has been a blessing to my shoulders and elbows, but again, I purchased used, and spent less than $100 on it.  It works well, and I can get 20-30 holes on a lawn tractor battery per outing, depending on the thickness of the ice.  Got to admit, I like looking at some of the expensive stuff, but its a lot of glitter for nothing.  Again, it is just my opinion, not to start any arguments. 

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:00 AM »
My Brantner jig/Jrs jig tail collection! I have blown some money on it, but when you light em up and they glow for 30+minutes! It's worth the money! Clam along with a couple other brands have some neat jigs, but their glow is weaker than a limp wristed bull fighter!!! Tight lines!!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Best investments:  LX-7 and Fuel drill with clam plate for my 6" lazer.

Worst investment:  When I started fishing in the late 60's, I started with spoon type ice augers.  I had one with a smooth curve around the spoon (it was blue) and one which had short straight segments (it was green).  Neither one cut worth a damn.  I pretty quickly bought a one-armed Jiffy, which was great for a few years when I used to fish Lake Champlain and put 15 tip ups in each time. 

Nowdays I fish mostly for pannies and whatever else happens to bite on small jigs.  Hardly ever use tipups, because they restrict my mobility.

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #98 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Best: nils and drill, x67c finder. Warm cloths or you won,t enjoy it and stay. Worst. Tip ups. Since I always move and jig. So much depends on the type of fishing you like to do. Takes years sometimes to accumulate all the stuff. I want a wheeler but just cant afford one yet.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:01 AM »
It’s interesting to see a lot of common answers pop up for both best and worst.   Honestly I don’t see any of it as an investment I think that is the wrong terminology.  Nothing I’ve ever bought for fishing has ever went up value.    With that said

Best:  A nice 2up snowmobile with all the goodies (eff that walking and pulling business)  Striker Suit, Abu 100u reels (those things never die) Navionics Phone App, LED lighting, Cabelas Inferno Boots, and any Sonar.

Worst: Real Weeds, Clam Light/Fan Combo, JM Meatstick,  Sufix Ice Mono, Clam Rod Case

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Best:

Strikemaster Lazer power auger.  Still going strong after nearly 20 years.
Eskimo QuickFish 6.  Love the pop-up.  Looking at the FatFish series...
Cabela's Ice Angler (Now Guidewear Extreme) suit.  Striker is tops but I'm 6'5" and the tall sizes in this suit are the bomb.
Aqua-Vu AV Micro Plus DVR and Mo-Pod.  A game changer for us.  Surprised to see cameras on so many worst lists.
Nice 2-up snowmobile that runs.
Buddy heater.
Checklist to speed up and aid trip prep.

Worst:

Project snowmobile that has been parked for two seasons.
This is a problem that the worst list is small.  I guess that means I have accumulated and take with me way to much stuff.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Power auger
Catching Any?

Offline rayc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Every thing is relative, im older 62, and for me to ice fish in very cold weather i need. 1) a shelter for the cold and a sled to pull it ...2) i need heat,,   3) in need a power auger, gas . electric, or battery, mine is battery ion 8 ". After that it is what ever makes you happy,, love my lowrance elite 5, which serves as my gps when im trail riding my sled. Life is short ,,ENJOY IT WHILE WE CAN??

Offline coldOne22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Not sure about worst, I went through a couple rods I didn't pay much for early on. But one day me and a buddy decided to finally get to bass pro and get serious...bought a Marcum lx7 and a pop up shanty and it was like two blind guys seeing for the first time. Truly changed the game.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #104 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:12 AM »
best-fish finder
 that thing that was to pricey when i saw it, but when i was on the ice
i needed it
-
WORST-none
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Power auger, flip shanty and a flasher have been my best investments. Haven't made many bad investments really. Wasted some money on some boots but wasn't much.

Offline ameyers41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:13 AM »
Best - Flasher, then power auger, then shelter.

Worst - Cheap rods I end up upgrading, and all of the jigs/lures I cannot resist buying because they are on sale/clearance. Many have never been wet.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Best (thus far) - TUCR precision (paired with shimano sedona) or Cabelas deluxe ice rod case.
Worst (thus far) - Either Frabill straight line 241 or MTM hard body rod case.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 06, 2016, 12:54 AM »
Best right clothes, flasher, any pole and good company
Bad. Going to work and not fishing
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Every thing is relative, im older 62, and for me to ice fish in very cold weather i need. 1) a shelter for the cold and a sled to pull it ...2) i need heat,,   3) in need a power auger, gas . electric, or battery, mine is battery ion 8 ". After that it is what ever makes you happy,, love my lowrance elite 5, which serves as my gps when im trail riding my sled. Life is short ,,ENJOY IT WHILE WE CAN??

Yep, sometimes "someday" never comes. Bite the bullet. For those of us with wives, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #110 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:38 AM »
What I love about this thread is that it makes you think. What I don't like about this thread is that it makes me think back....A LOOOONG WAYS. What I find funny is all the stuff I bought 15-20+ years ago that  I thought was awesome back then is actually is garbage now. It's amazing how comfortable ice fishing is now compared to 25 years ago. In terms of clothing, gear, electronics, heaters and travel vehicles, nothing compares to what we have today.

BEST:   ATV with tracks
                     cold weather gear: Under Armor Base 4.0, LaCrosse Hunting Pac 2000 gram boots, Gore-Tex parka and bibs/Strike HW Bibs/Climate parka
                     Beaver Dam tip ups
                     St.Croix jig sticks
                     Fluorocarbon leaders/line

WORST: Old HT jig sticks
                         HT tip ups
                         AquaVu camera ( my wife actually bought it before we were married, thank God)
                         Rocky Snow Stalker Extreme boots
                         Frabill Arctic Siren
                         Chubby Darters (all 30 of them)
                         Frabill Big Game tip ups

Offline Big_griz77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Love my Jawjackers!

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Just bought me the striker hardwater suit! That the fl-28, and the power auger!!! Yeah buddy!!!

Offline cropdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:02 PM »
The best LaCrosse IceKings, LX7 (vex Fl18 before that), power auger.

Worst purchases are the dozens of styrofoam minnow buckets that I purchased over the last 20 years.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #114 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:11 PM »
What I love about this thread is that it makes you think. What I don't like about this thread is that it makes me think back....A LOOOONG WAYS. What I find funny is all the stuff I bought 15-20+ years ago that  I thought was awesome back then is actually is garbage now. It's amazing how comfortable ice fishing is now compared to 25 years ago. In terms of clothing, gear, electronics, heaters and travel vehicles, nothing compares to what we have today.

BEST:   ATV with tracks
                     cold weather gear: Under Armor Base 4.0, LaCrosse Hunting Pac 2000 gram boots, Gore-Tex parka and bibs/Strike HW Bibs/Climate parka
                     Beaver Dam tip ups
                     St.Croix jig sticks
                     Fluorocarbon leaders/line

WORST: Old HT jig sticks
                         HT tip ups
                         AquaVu camera ( my wife actually bought it before we were married, thank God)
                         Rocky Snow Stalker Extreme boots
                         Frabill Arctic Siren
                         Chubby Darters (all 30 of them)
                         Frabill Big Game tip ups
I would 2nd the emotion regarding the Chubby Darters.  I have spent a considerable amount on them, not a lot of fish fillets to show for it.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:12 AM »
Best - Striker Ice . Predator suit

Worst -  under water camera
Hard Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.