Author Topic: Your best and your worst ice fishing investment  (Read 11359 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Your best and your worst ice fishing investment
« on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:26 PM »
To help a newbie decide what to buy and what not to buy... what is your one best ice fishing equipment investment and what was / is your worst?

Merry Christmas...got some snow last night so it'll be a white Christmas in North Central Wisconsin.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your best and your worst ice fishing investment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Shelter and a flasher are my best investments hands down

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Power auger, cheap rods ended up buying more expensive ones for better quality so wasted more $ by going cheap

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Best and worst are not easy to decide. How's this for an answer...things I take and use every time (good boots, favorite long rod, sharp auger) and things I take but never use...(clip on depth finder - a couple, rod holder - several, jigs - too many).

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:20 PM »
Just started this year myself , but a hub I use for the whole family, but just bought a flip over that I love for 1or2 people, and a big buddy heater. As for not needed Equipment so far I have none !!! Oh and a drill $10 adapter for my hand auger has been awesome!!
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Best-- Marcum LX7

Worst --  cheap combos.  Not worth a hill of beans.  Don't cheap out on rods and reels.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:38 PM »
I agree with everybody on the cheap rods as they are a waste of money. I like my quick fish 6 hub, but never even put it up last year as it keeps me from being mobile. My Lawrence X67 and the Marcum camera have been great, but I still fish some days without them. Best purchase yet was the 4 wheeler. I put the auger on the front and the rest of the  gear on the back and I can move around all I want on large lakes and really cover some ground.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:08 AM »
Worst was an Eagle graph. Best was getting an iceshanty.com account.  No lie, it has been great
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:23 AM »
One of my best rod is a Shakespeare Cajun Ice rod in UL.  Perfect power noodle for me and cost me $6.

The worst stuff I've ever bought was the mini baitcasting reel from HT and the Shakespeare Cajun mini baitcasting copy cat.  Stupid slow, and super small spool arbor made for the worst line coils ever.  It came with that Cajun red line.  LOL had fun catching perch with it.  When the line coil began to move, the perch were biting.  Worst $9 spent on total junk.

I'm not touching the Walleye Marshall look alike or Uncle Buck's.

Stay away from this junk.

LOL, don't get me started with lures...just look at my avatar...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:41 AM »
If I were just starting out by far the first two thinges that I would want are a power auger and a shanty. I'd deal with cheap foam handled rods ect in the meantime. Third on the list would be a graph and from there I'd take my time adding better rods and new tackle or if you csn afford it jump ahead to a snowmobile or quad if I don't already have one.
My worst buys have been rod cases I've bought two online, a soft side Cabelas and hard sided MTM and both held less rods than expected and in the case of the MTM quality was a bit lower than I expected. I looked at a Frabil rod locker a couple days ago I think that will be my next purchase.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2015, 02:10 AM »
Best $50 ice shack. Worst $100 ice shack.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2015, 03:38 AM »
Whatever you do...DO NOT...I repeat, DO NOT buy any buzz stix! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:34 AM »
For someone getting started in a sport that they have not done much or not at all even, the cheap rod combo thing is not always a bad thing. Most people are not willing to jump into a $300+ investment until they know that fishing in the cold on ice is for them. $50 or $60 on a pair combo rods is how I started out! Yes, later on when I new that this was a sport for me I got better poles and reels. Ended up giving my cheap combos to a friend that wanted to start ice fishing. But if you go cheap on combo rods change out the line for better line.
Come on fish!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:56 AM »
I have many useful things from cameras, flashers, 4x4 atv, shelter, sled, and of course some nice jigging rids... However, the best investment has to be my boots. Cold wet feet and ice fishing is miserable. Good boots are easy to take for granted but when they work everything else can function as it should.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:58 AM »
Best-- flasher, atv, flip over, and ion auger

worst-- cheap combo rod/reels, jiffy stealth auger, underwater camera

the one item that has drastically increased my success and enjoyment of ice fishing is, hands down, a flasher. Doesn't matter what brand.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Best - Equipment to stay really warm on the ice. 

Worst - anything does't get used to be honest.  hand augers,  & cheapo tipups. Buy beaver dam and call it a day.  Best price in our state on those tipups is right in the bait store in Tomahawk.

PS... Merry Christmas all
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Bye bye Jiffy
Hello Nils Masters!
Never looked back after!

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:27 AM »
I started ice fishing again last year after living in the south for 15 years. I bought cheap Walmart poles to get started. They sat in the garage now. Best investments  was vexilar fl18 and worst was cheap poles. I have good poles now. I also bought a used gas auger, I pulled and pulled on that piece of junk. Bought a new gas auger this year. 2 pulls and I'm drilling. Best 275.00 I have ever spent.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:36 AM »
IMO the best thing one can buy is a good pair of boots. Youll never make it through the day without a good pair of boots. That's my number one peice of ice gear. Worst investment would be that clam light/fan combo plastic POS.

Kyle_J

« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:37 AM »
My best investment was a spud bar,without one i would have probably fell through the ice multiple times.My worst investment would be cheap combos that i have wasted so much money on.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:48 AM »
If I were just starting out by far the first two thinges that I would want are a power auger and a shanty. I'd deal with cheap foam handled rods ect in the meantime. Third on the list would be a graph and from there I'd take my time adding better rods and new tackle or if you csn afford it jump ahead to a snowmobile or quad if I don't already have one.
My worst buys have been rod cases I've bought two online, a soft side Cabelas and hard sided MTM and both held less rods than expected and in the case of the MTM quality was a bit lower than I expected. I looked at a Frabil rod locker a couple days ago I think that will be my next purchase.
I totally agree with the first three items, in that order. The worst things are usually eye candy not given much thought.

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:52 AM »
I agree on the boots. I use lacrosse 1200 gram. Really meant for hunting but I love the way they feel. No cold feet all day. If you are miserable on the ice being cold, you will remember the trip for all the wrong reasons.

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2015, 08:03 AM »
I have just a basic setup for ice. I have a hub shelter, gas auger, a fl18 flasher, a sunflower heater, and tackle and rods. About 5 good rods and about 150.00 in tackle. I catch fish. ND has a lot of ice castles. I would like one to sleep out on the ice, but I cannot make myself buy one. Too much money and not enough return for myself. I can move quick, ice castles cannot. I use all of my work carhart's for fishing. I see so many people over complicate ice fishing. When I watch ice fishing shows on TV I feel poor...lol.. than I go catch fish

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2015, 08:29 AM »
I have just a basic setup for ice. I have a hub shelter, gas auger, a fl18 flasher, a sunflower heater, and tackle and rods. About 5 good rods and about 150.00 in tackle. I catch fish. ND has a lot of ice castles. I would like one to sleep out on the ice, but I cannot make myself buy one. Too much money and not enough return for myself. I can move quick, ice castles cannot. I use all of my work carhart's for fishing. I see so many people over complicate ice fishing. When I watch ice fishing shows on TV I feel poor...lol.. than I go catch fish

agreed. I bring 2 rods a small tackle box with a few raps and pimples. A flasher, a heater, auger, and my flip over... that's it. I see guys going out with 4 5 gallon buckets of gear and I laugh. Those guys are usually the ones that don't catch much. They try to make up for lack if success with gear. Kind of like the guys with 21ft ranger boats in the summer. 80k in gear and they still cant catch a walleye.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2015, 09:51 AM »
best - without a doubt - flasher. even if its just a 2.0 showdown, made for a huge increase in catch rates and fun the past couple years
a close second would be good spring bobbers
worst ... the first couple ice rods i bought at the farm store were like pool cues

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Best has to be my Vex, worst like others would be combo rod and reels.  Almost had a disaster last year with my new Strikemaster Electric Auger that would not shut off, almost took my foot off trying to get it to shut off.  Strikemaster recall, sticking with my gas auger for now.....

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:19 AM »
I bought a nice used vexilar 18 last year. It has improved my fishing 100 percent. I almost think if I forgot it at home
 And drove a hour and realized I forgot it. I would not fish that day. I would rather have flasher than a heater.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:29 AM »
I bought a nice used vexilar 18 last year. It has improved my fishing 100 percent. I almost think if I forgot it at home
 And drove a hour and realized I forgot it. I would not fish that day. I would rather have flasher than a heater.
[/quote How true! Forgot my vex one day, 30 min. from home, turned around and went back home, fetched it up and proceeded to go fishing, again! Best turn around I ever did. Worst turn around-marriage.

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Depending on ice thickness where you fish,  if consistently over 12" you want a power auger soon.  If 12 or less, a flasher first and power auger second.  My worst was a cheap spinning combo purchased online.  Junk. Need to see it first.  The eyes on this one are like the eye on a hook.  Tiny and junk
In God We Trust

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I will answer it a different way.
Aside from rods bait and tipups there are three things that if I got to the lake and realized I forgot that I would head home for
#1 my nils auger, the best investment I have made, never used my power auger last year.
#2 my flasher
#3 Mickey mouse boots.

My worst invesment is my flip over, I have used it twice and not once in the last 3 years. I like to be mobile and it slows me down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.