Author Topic: Things that get annoying.......  (Read 7835 times)

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Things that get annoying.......
« Reply #30 on: Oct 07, 2014, 12:47 PM »
My personal peeve. You drill all the holes (by hand) for you, and your family plus an extra few for jigging only to turn around to see some jackass with a hatchet and a stick with shoe strings tied together jigging in your holes between you and your lady when she is following behind you  setting up your traps. The best part is when you tell him to drill  his own damn holes and he gets pissy. Sorry but i dont have a gas auger or a Nils. I put the effort in for myself and family, not strangers with no etiquette or comprehension of ice fishing.

Offline NY_BLUES

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:10 PM »
The guy that drills a hole less than 10 feet from a tip up I have set and decides to plant one of his own.  When you go talk to him about it he just says that its a small lake and just laughs.  I didn't know lake erie was small!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 07, 2014, 02:21 PM »
I have two small buckets in my shanty. One hidden with keepers and one in the open with dinks. When people ask,how's fish'n?, I show them the dinks and say, I am only keeping the big ones! They never come back to ask the crazy man again.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 07, 2014, 02:44 PM »
People who let their dogs run free on the lake. You might like your dog, but I don't.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 07, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Drunks on snowmobiles who go speeding through your fishing spot, not even bothering to slow down only to wave as they pass because they really think they're kool. That's pretty annoying. Haven't had anyone hit a tip up yet but they can't see them because they're going so fast... it's only a matter of time!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 07, 2014, 04:04 PM »
running out of beer will NEVER happen again.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 07, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Three things get my goat.1- music playing loudly,2- folks who take more than the legal limit ( if there is no limit,take what you want,but taking illegally is stealing ) 3-last season I was set up on an isolated point,other folks were scattered fairly wide.A group of 11 men and a couple children,unloaded and made there way across the lake,stopping at every fishermen they met,pounding holes with axes right beside them,fishing for about 15 min before moving on.As they made their way toward me,they again set up within mere feet of me,completely surrounding me.We are only permitted two lines,I had 4 holes drilled within a few yrds of the two I was fishing.They took those holes,plus pounded several more holes close enough to throw ice chips on me.I caught 5 trout,they caught nothing..........carma!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 07, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Killers not sportsman.  Take all.    Had guy drill hole literally 3' next to me and started fishing. 

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 07, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Topics like this come up all the time, and they always surprise me. As I kind of got at in my first post, I don't really care what you do, unless it puts people in danger, or could damage my things. I could care less if people are blaring music, reving engines, cutting holes with spud bars/axes, etc. Complaining that people come out to talk to everyone they see? Come on, fishing is a social sport. I don't know how you got this far if a simple conversation and having people use your holes is a burden to you.  ;D I'm not sure how you guys have people come up silently and start fishing right next to you. I've never had it happen. Usually if someone comes closer than 50 yards they ask if its ok to fish by me. I always say sure, we talk, and I end up with a new acquaintance.
-Tom

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 08, 2014, 04:54 AM »
The times of being the only one out on a frozen lake. All by yourself are gone I am afraid. Except in some remote areas. I miss those days. It was my get away. Sometimes I would take a friend or two. But we were of like mind. Keep the conversation quite and to minimum. If we wanted talk out on a frozen lake. We might as well of stayed home. :o
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Watching your sun glasses fall through the hole, and watching them slowly fall with your sonar :(

Offline stretch1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:52 AM »
1. The guy who has a good sonar screen only to hit a button and run interferance with everyone in the shack causing mass chaos of shack button punching..
2. The guy who can't set his sonar then messes with it once its set and wants you to fix it.
3. The guy that can't put on a slip bobber & thinks you should do his.
4. The guy that tries to jig your fish away to his lure when you have a fish on your sonar.

Starting the annoying list.....add some more.
I find it annoying when a guy whines on the internet about fishing with his buddies

Offline stretch1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Or when you are the guy stuck by the door in the sleeper shack and somebody needs to enter or leave the shack every 10 min

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:52 AM »
You mean being sociable? Yeah I hate that.

I have never had someone come over and ask for bait, but I have had people randomly offer theirs when they were leaving. I guess not everyone wants bait stink in their basement.

I am a sociable guy. Heck a few weeks ago I shared a public duck blind with a complete stranger even though I was there first. Worked out for the both of us.
What I am talking about are the people who act as though you are a fishing guide and should give up all your tips tactics and secrets.
Guides get paid for that and I am not a guide.
Just because I am catching and you are not so you beeline for me and expect me to tell you how to fish what depth etc. I don't think so. I'll usually be nice and talk to them but giving up my secrets is verboten.
As for the bait well here in AK live bait is not allowed. So any bait I have extra can remain frozen or be refrozen for next time. Especially if it is expensive bait like frozen herring at $7+ for a dozen. If you ask nicely and offer something in trade even if it's just some fishing tips I'll probably share but I am not a charity.
I give away hundreds of dollars in free tackle with my small saltwater jig business at home. Its a side job I have that I enjoy. But I decide who to give to and it is mostly friends and family. Though I do have a few prostaffers whom I don't know real well who test stuff for me.
I think it all has to do with attitude and how you approach me. If you only came over to hit me up for fishing secrets I may or may not give it to you. But if you stop buy just to chat are a really nice person and I feel like it I may share something even some of my custom made jigs.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #44 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:56 PM »
When you're on the best perch bite of your life and one of the guys on the trip keeps asking when we're leaving cause he has to take a dump... I'll leave when it's dark! And even then you have to pry me off the lake!

Then the next day the same dude (who happens to make a lot of $) complains that he's cold and not catching any fish cause he's too cheap to get a sonar unit and too lazy to drag his own shanty out a few miles onto the lake!

That dude gets annoying...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:32 PM »
When you're on the best perch bite of your life and one of the guys on the trip keeps asking when we're leaving cause he has to take a dump... I'll leave when it's dark! And even then you have to pry me off the lake!

Then the next day the same dude (who happens to make a lot of $) complains that he's cold and not catching any fish cause he's too cheap to get a sonar unit and too lazy to drag his own shanty out a few miles onto the lake!

That dude gets annoying...

I used to fish with that dude. key words used to!
Now I don't bother to fish with him.His brother isn't so bad so he still gets invited.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Oct 10, 2014, 04:27 AM »
When you're on the best perch bite of your life and one of the guys on the trip keeps asking when we're leaving cause he has to take a dump...

That's my one nephew!! But, there's a gas station/resturant ten min away, so he can hop in the truck and drive over. It never fails.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 10, 2014, 06:45 AM »
When you're on the best perch bite of your life and one of the guys on the trip keeps asking when we're leaving cause he has to take a dump...

luggable loo!

Offline HARDasICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 10, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Waiting for good ice for 8 months.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #49 on: Oct 10, 2014, 09:59 AM »
It's really simple after all,how long does it take for the average thinker to be able to read someone's demeanor.i can pretty well tell by body language,how to approach someone.If you are a social butterfly,study someone before you just jump in with both feet.For those of us who enjoy alone time coupled with peace and quiet,at least we can be polite as we pass others while searching for our seclusion.If I'm sitting on the backside of the lake,far removed from the scociables,it would be reasonable to figure I want to be alone.No fishing is not a social event to everyone,only to those who want it to be.I will try to be friendlier ( speak politely as I pass by ) if you will take into consideration,that some of us really do like to hear the ice as it talks to us,instead of some sad old country song,or some punk rock blaring.I admit,I am an introvert ( not a bad thing at all ),I can be alone and enjoy the company of seclusion,if I meet you on the lake,I will wave,wish you a good day fishing and move on to hopefully a peaceful little spot.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 10, 2014, 10:55 AM »
We'll put.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 10, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I have actually had folks run to my Lines Because they see it getting hit..  Really.

Now I have called hits to the owners of lines many times .. Hey Bud you had a Bite never would I touch someone elses Stuff 

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Oct 10, 2014, 04:45 PM »
The douch that hand drills a hole 3 feet from your tip-up.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2014, 06:23 AM »
It's really simple after all,how long does it take for the average thinker to be able to read someone's demeanor.i can pretty well tell by body language,how to approach someone.If you are a social butterfly,study someone before you just jump in with both feet.For those of us who enjoy alone time coupled with peace and quiet,at least we can be polite as we pass others while searching for our seclusion.If I'm sitting on the backside of the lake,far removed from the scociables,it would be reasonable to figure I want to be alone.No fishing is not a social event to everyone,only to those who want it to be.I will try to be friendlier ( speak politely as I pass by ) if you will take into consideration,that some of us really do like to hear the ice as it talks to us,instead of some sad old country song,or some punk rock blaring.I admit,I am an introvert ( not a bad thing at all ),I can be alone and enjoy the company of seclusion,if I meet you on the lake,I will wave,wish you a good day fishing and move on to hopefully a peaceful little spot.

I look forward to my private outings as well Osage. I consider myself a sociable guy as well, but there are times I don't want any company, especially uninvited company.....period. Yes, it can get very annoying when people zero in on you. It's about that time when I pack up and move to another spot.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #54 on: Oct 11, 2014, 07:16 AM »
1. 10 inch holes
2. People being morons / disrespectful in general
3. Job interfering with my fishing time
4. Poor or no access to good fishing areas due to snobby land owners
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #55 on: Oct 11, 2014, 07:52 AM »
I look forward to my private outings as well Osage. I consider myself a sociable guy as well, but there are times I don't want any company, especially uninvited company.....period. Yes, it can get very annoying when people zero in on you. It's about that time when I pack up and move to another spot.

Total agreement. There are very few places you can go anymore for peace and quiet, at least around here. When some knob fudges it up, that's what's annoying.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #56 on: Oct 11, 2014, 08:57 AM »
1. The guy who has a good sonar screen only to hit a button and run interferance with everyone in the shack causing mass chaos of shack button punching..
2. The guy who can't set his sonar then messes with it once its set and wants you to fix it.
3. The guy that can't put on a slip bobber & thinks you should do his.
4. The guy that tries to jig your fish away to his lure when you have a fish on your sonar.

Starting the annoying list.....add some more.

Sounds like this might be one of your buddy's your annoyed with lol
KCCO

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Oct 11, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Sounds like this might be one of your buddy's your annoyed with lol

Sounds like that "guy" needs to stay home ...and do some serious reflectn'
Most of my on lookers are cross county skiers or people waking across the lake ..and have a curiosity about the flasher..hut ..fire/cooker set up ..even had some that wanted to take a picture of me with a fish and wanted one with them holding the fish .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Oct 11, 2014, 12:47 PM »
don't think I saw this one but when your fishing next to your truck on the ice over 2 miles away from the launch and a group of snowmobilers pull up and ask you if there is enough ice to ride. " Theres enough ice to hold up a truck because the weight is distributed over a wider platform but your snowmobile will fall through better keep moving!"

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Oct 11, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I agree with HARDASICE... waiting for safe ice is the only thing annoying about ice fishing. I can deal with everything else by saying to myself "At least I'm on the ice"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.