Author Topic: At what size would you mount a fish?  (Read 14790 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: At what size would you mount a fish?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Crappie -20"
Perch-18"
Walleye -35"
Sunfish-14"

You get the drift.. I have high expectations!
Hard Ice

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #91 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:06 PM »
17"+ crappie - blue gill over 12.5"- large mouth over 10lbs - perch over16" and full of eggs and ready to spawn northern over 40"
Never to many short poles

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #92 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:19 PM »
forgot laker through the ice a beautifully marked one 15+lb would do but in a boat 20+ would be better, almost did a 15lb from the boat this year, real pretty fish but changed my mind, biggest through ice so far was 10lb this year, hopefully that changes soon
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Perch 15"
Black crappie 16"
White crappie 17"
Pumpkinseed 11"
Musky 56" or 45#
Walleye 14#
Small mouth 25" (caught one 24" 7# 2oz, kick myself for not mounting it)

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would have a replication made ? Anyone can walk in and say I want a 25 " Brookie mounted in Spawning colors with a hooked jaw . Fake is fake . If it isn't the original fish . It don't make since to spend that kind of money .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • So many fish , So little time.....
« Reply #96 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I rarely mount a fish, but when I do, it is a beautiful one. Stay thirsty my friends...... ;D

Offline Ddzielak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Has anyone ever tried the recreated plastic mounts? You send pics of the fish and stats an they will create the replica. I'd much rather have a replica and let my trophy go.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #98 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:33 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would have a replication made ? Anyone can walk in and say I want a 25 " Brookie mounted in Spawning colors with a hooked jaw . Fake is fake . If it isn't the original fish . It don't make since to spend that kind of money .

x2 although if I were to get a replica it would be of this bass I caught through the ice in '09 the only issue is I never took measurements  :( :-\ :'(

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:37 PM »
That fish would be on my wall .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #100 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:45 PM »
That fish would be on my wall .

reason why i didnt take measurements was we cant keep bass through the ice here in NY and never crossed my mind to put it on the wall lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I've done fish taxidermy as a hobby since I was in my teens. I've done a lot of practice on smaller fish, I had a yellow perch around 12" which was the only fish of the day ice fishing that I did a good mount of and made a little diorama for it. I also did a 9" brookie which was mounted on a piece of wood and hung in the bathroom. I could see a small fish mount be really cool if you had an interesting piece of driftwood to work with. I've seen pictures of lamps with panfish swimming around them.

Currently I have my largest freshwater fish which was a 13lb King Salmon caught in the mid 90's in North Dakota and a small Lake Ontario brown I did for a buddy of mine since he wanted a fish on the wall, too bad he passed away before he got to see it finished.

I don't have the wall space for many fish, but could see a replica of a 24" brown on the wall with a cool piece of driftwood, but finding the right size brown repo is challenging. Most of the ones I see in the catalogs are football browns, the creek browns around here a long and thin.

I do like a good catch and release picture as well. I take good pics, the buddy I fish with may not and that fish of a lifetime shot may not come out that great or I'm fishing solo with a large flopping salmonid who just won't stand still for that perfect shot.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I think it all depends on the body of water you are fishing, and like others have said, it's the story behind it. I fish a small trout pond in the spring. The biggest I've landed there was 13 inches, average being 8-9 inches. The most beautiful trout I've ever seen. I'd get a replica made of any over 15 inches. I've lost one over 16.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I participate in Iowa's "Master Angler" program. You submit a photo and the info and they send you a nice photo with the info printed on it. I like this idea more than the mounts. According to most replies on here with length requirements, I guess I should have a 17 1/2" crappie, 22" bass and 11" bluegill mounted.

Offline soduswaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #104 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I'd like to think I've caught plenty of trophies over the years. Don't have a single mount . My fish that I've gotten all with plenty of pictures..... are as follows,    Yellow perch 2.3 lbs. 14" 3/8 long, Northern pike 19.12 lbs 44" 1/2 long,  Large mouth  6.8 lbs. 22" Small mouth 7.2 lbs. 23",  Walleye 12.9 lbs. 32" , Steelhead 23 lbs. 40" , King Salmon 38 lbs. , Brown Trout 18.4 lbs 36" , 

Offline paulct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:25 AM »
i agree, the replicas look fake to me anyway, i'd rather spend the money on a new rod or reel

...how much does it cost to mount a fish anyways?

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Where I live it is 9 to 12 dollars an inch .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:42 PM »
i agree, the replicas look fake to me anyway, i'd rather spend the money on a new rod or reel

...how much does it cost to mount a fish anyways?

Look fake to me as well. A great taxidermist can do wonders w a real fish. Never seen a replica that looks as good as a real mount, although i am sure there are some out there.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #108 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I probably wouldn't mount any fish.. but get replicas instead.

Bass- probably not unless its a state record fish
Walleye- 30"
Bluegill- 12"
Crappie- 18"
Perch- 14"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:23 PM »

Here one that I had put on the wall

Offline Holmesy_1369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:50 PM »
The fish are not wasted by taxidermy the skin is yours and the taxidermist eats the fish I bet.   I asked my taxidermist what he does with the insides n that's what he does.  I guesse if you are friends with your taxidermist he might even cut you in for some of your own fish.  As far as size
Northern.  40"+
Walleye.    30"+
Bass 7 pound area
Crappie.     18"+
Perch.        14"+
Gills.           11"+
Musky. In my neck of the woods aren't leagal till 48". So it would need to be around 65",  not likely to ever see one so they all go back.......... But if I ever do.     Had a friend get a replica once and was very up set with it   Just didn't look the same. So disappointed its in his attic not even on his wall n if you throw your taxidermist money on a normal basis he would prob mount the real fish in the ball park of the replica I know mine would.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:59 PM »
The fish are not wasted by taxidermy the skin is yours and the taxidermist eats the fish I bet.   I asked my taxidermist what he does with the insides n that's what he does.  I guesse if you are friends with your taxidermist he might even cut you in for some of your own fish.  As far as size
Northern.  40"+
Walleye.    30"+
Bass 7 pound area
Crappie.     18"+
Perch.        14"+
Gills.           11"+
Musky. In my neck of the woods aren't leagal till 48". So it would need to be around 65",  not likely to ever see one so they all go back.......... But if I ever do.     Had a friend get a replica once and was very up set with it   Just didn't look the same. So disappointed its in his attic not even on his wall n if you throw your taxidermist money on a normal basis he would prob mount the real fish in the ball park of the replica I know mine would.

You get a 65" and ill pay to get it mounted for you lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.