Author Topic: At what size would you mount a fish?  (Read 14789 times)

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
At what size would you mount a fish?
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the size to think about mounting a fish. Like at what size would you considering mounting a crappie and a bluegill and  various other fish at? Just wondering what everyones take was on this. I know some guy around my area have mounted bluegills at 10" and crappies at 12". Guys mounting perch at 12" and up.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
Re: At what size would you mount a fish?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:49 PM »
To me it's not about the size but more about the story that comes with the fish. I have this same theory with deer hunting. Might not be the biggest rack but boy you should hear the story to it.  ;)

Just my theory but than again sometimes the bank account has a lot to say about it...lol

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Myself, I wouldn't mount a fish.  I just don't think fish mounts look all that great.    I would really like to have a wooden replica made of a big trout made though.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Northen 40+
Walleye 30+
Perch 14+
Sunny ?

That's just my opinion. Lots of people might let them go, but I need at least one mount of each. I'm thinking one big northern chasing a sunny, two walleyes, and a couple perch. The rest can get put back in the water. Otherwise I keep adding antlers to the man cave wall.
KCCO

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:58 PM »
A picture is plenty for me... either eat the fish or let it swim.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Although I have no objections to those that do, I never keep any really big fish.  I caught a 14.5 inch perch last year and it went back down the hole instead of in the bucket with 18 of his smaller brothers.   My fishing partner thought I was insane but oh well.  I felt good about it knowing that that monster would be able to spawn again.  The same goes for any really big fish, 12+ inch crappie, 35 inch+pike ext.  If i could afford a replica then it would be 15 inch+ perch, 11 inch +bluegill, 40 inch + pike and 10 lb bass..

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I target Northern Pike and Walleye when ice fishing.... I have always said a Northern 45" or bigger and I'm going to mount it. Caught a 42" and kind of wish I had though... I caught a 33 1/2" Walleye I kick myself for not mounting that one. So next Walleye that is 30" or more is getting mounted....I think the next 40" + Pike I may as well too. As for Bass....I'm not really sure ( in season of course). 24" or bigger? Hmmmmmmm ( Largemouth) Smallmouth...Ummmmmmmm
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I got a 7# 6 oz large mouth bass being mounted

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I got a 7# 6 oz large mouth bass being mounted

Damn, that's a beast. Lived a long time to get that big. It's time has come.  Post pics
KCCO

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:51 PM »
To me it's not about the size but more about the story that comes with the fish. I have this same theory with deer hunting. Might not be the biggest rack but boy you should hear the story to it.  ;)

Just my theory but than again sometimes the bank account has a lot to say about it...lol
I agree

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I never mounted a fish but when I get my first 30 inch EYE she goes up. If I get a 2lb crappie she goes up. I threw back a 51 inch muskey so I will not put one up. no gills but a perch over 15 inches may get up

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I'm not sure about the panfish but I know if I catch a 30"+ eye its going on the wall and as for pike it would have to be bigger than 44" since I currently am getting a 44" muskie done that I caught last ice season. I always said 40"+ for pike or muskie and sure enough I caught one. The story is good too about an hour long battle on 8lb fluro leader lol

I guess gills 10"+
perch 17"+
crappie 17"+.... just cause we can catch them in the 13"-15" range pretty regularly

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:05 PM »
I have a 22 in bass on the wall caught bigger since so now it will have to be 25 or larger or in the 7 pound range. I have a 21 inch smallies on the wall . A 30 inch walleye and a 44 inch muskie . Not sure I would mount a pike at 40 cause of the muskie but would have otherwise. I don't have a crappie would need to be 15 or larger . Bluegill well I seen one at a bait shop that had just been caught that was 12.75 and freakish  bigger than I thought it should have been .the mouth was the size of a quarter. So shoot for something that sized for me to drop The coin on a gill
FLAG!!!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Whatever I think is big enough for me.

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I'd rather put the money toward the bait shop not the taxidermists.  :P  I do have a smally that I got from I guy in upstate NY 30 bucks. $20 for the fish, $10 for the story. ;D Well worth it.
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:39 PM »
It might not be about the size of the fish, but instead, what is important to you and your memories. 
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Personally I would never mount one. I take pictures and keep them for life that way. If I mounted one I would get tired of dusting it off all the time.
<===Lefty===

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:56 PM »

I caught a 16", 2lb 5oz black crappie from my home lake here in PA and took a picture of me holding it, and had a Fathead custom made for me. Came out really nice. It's 24" by 36" and cost me around $40 if i remember right. May have been a little more but not much. I can move it to any wall when i feel like it. Also had Kodak make me some coffee mugs with my photos on it. They make great gifts.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Anybody have any pics of there nice mounts???
KCCO

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Big

Johnson

Syndrome.............. . :flex:

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I got pictures of the muskie before the taxidermist but no way to get them on here
FLAG!!!

Offline realicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I have a couple perch mounted both over 15". But now ill probably never mount another fish again. I have too much respect for big pike an walleyes. They made it this far it'll be selfish of me to take them out of it now. A picture and back down the hole is good for me now. Maybe some 5 year old kid could catch them again someday and make for a memory. All I need is a picture.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:53 PM »
I have 5 mounts done. 4 of wich are bass from my tourney days. The fifth is a rainbow my grandfather caught when I was a kid. It was just over 5 lbs and one of the most beautiful colored fish I have ever seen. For me to mount a crappie it would have to be 18 or better and would have to be a very dark one as I think they are prettier. I always wanted a 30+ eye chasing a big perch so I'm gonna have to catch a big eye to get that started. Also any new mounts will be replicas and fish will swim away unless gut/gill hooked.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:19 PM »
Don't really think I would ever mount a fish!!!!! :nono:  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I only mount it if its a true trophy.  I have two crappies on the wall both 18" the larger being 3.8 pounds and the smaller being 3.2 pounds. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:03 AM »
Personal choice. When it comes to fish I prefer having a reproduction made.

WS

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:11 AM »
Personal choice. When it comes to fish I prefer having a reproduction made.

WS

X2

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2013, 05:43 AM »
My Father caught some Crappie that we never took pictures of. If I told you how big they were you would not believe me. Boy I wish my Dad would have mounted at least one of those fish. Caught them in the 65 flood in the Mississippi River. Crazy never caught fish that size again. Buy the way we took them home and ate them.   Fat Fish (Jerry)

Offline indybogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing,hunting and family the best things in life
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:13 AM »
I think it depends more on personal choice and the reason or story behind the mount and whenever possible I like a reproduction on big ones I don't like taking a fish and not getting the meat if he's not going back in the lake.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Anybody have any pics of there nice mounts???
Here is mine.

It is mounted in my head.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.