Author Topic: Do you tell the truth? Are you a hider?  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Do you tell the truth? Are you a hider?
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:18 PM »
If you fish in a shanty or even on a bucket do you tell the truth? Many of us will have fellow ice fishermen walk by or even give a holler into the shanty asking how the fishing is. Do you tell them the truth when you're slaying them to help him out knowing this visitor may set up right on top of you? Do you give them the "couple or few reply" and hope he moves on? I'm sure when it is indeed slow, you tell em "slow".

Are you a hider? Do you throw your fish next to you on the ice or outside the shanty knowing they can be seen by passers? Do you use your stealth moves to quickly get your catch into a bucket  :whistle: hoping nobody saw you pull in that nice one keeping it looking like you're being skunked? Don't care if any and everyone sees your catch?

I like my space especially after hunting the lake and finding the "spot". I'm not going to display my fish and the have you sit in my lap!  ;D Seems like ice fisherman can spot a mess of fish next to someone on the ice from half mile away.  ;D
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do you tell the truth? Are you a hider?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I will talk to people and tell them how the fishing is just don't come fish right next to me after I tell you and we won't have a problem. The lake I fish on is big enough, usually never have any issues.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Im a hider.  keep all the fish in the shanty and tell most people caught a few.
<br />

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I usually tell them its pretty slow, not much for size etc. I put in a lot of time and effort to find the fish. I try to stay hidden my portable. I don't normally run tip ups because i don't want to draw attention. So i try to snowball them for as long as possible. I put my fish in a bucket right away don't need some yahoo stopping by and seeing my fish sitting on the ice. If its someone that has kids i help them out if i can.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Ill tell you good or bad, always outside so its no secret when the slaying is on.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Im a hoarder............... while Im on the ice. I will however tell someone if they ask......that I got into them on such and such a lake @). North end or whatever it may be. I dont EVER give them my cordinates >:D, somtimes if they are just a few feet off they wont be catching them, while Im in the shack loading up ;D Im sure it works the other way around as well, but thats just a part of the deal :unsure:. For me its a game, catch fish like crazy and hide them from snoopers who dont do their own scouting. I put in time and money into scouting and trying different spots. Just cuz some dude walks out with his kids doesnt mean Im talking. Around here, if your taking your kids there are several lakes that cater to that kind of outing. When Im on a larget body of water.............my lips are sealed!!

Good luck this season guys, I here they are really getting them in McCleod Ditch :whistle:
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:44 PM »
I generally fish alone. You can too ;D

Unless there's a kid involved. The you can use everything I have and I'll give you my fish if you want them.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Rejean1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:51 PM »
If the fishing is good, 50% truth.  If the fishing day is poor, 100% truth...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I keep my fish in a bucket in the shack, if you ask the answer depends who you are and how you ask....If you have been struggeling yet trying I might help but if I'm the 10th shack you stopped at to ask before drilling a hole you'll get dead sea....

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:02 PM »
What if they were a fellow Ice Shanty member?  ;D Maybe if we all wore an I.S. patch we could I.D. ourselves as such and NOT be profiled as an illegal ice immigrant heading towards you looking to settle in on your good fishing spots.  :woot:
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I always tell the truth........awwww hell that was a lie  ;D I like the idea of all of us wearing a patch...I would help a fellow IS member.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:07 PM »
If the fishing is good, 50% truth.  If the fishing day is poor, 100% truth...
well said Rejean and welcome to the shanty!  I will generally try to keep a nice haul from eye sight, but if you ask I will tell you..."a few small ones here and there..."  ;)
Tight lines

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:09 PM »
I usually lie and tell them the fishing is better on the other side of the lake but I don't feel like packing up and going back there.
But would help out an IS member

smitty :tipup:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:21 PM »
It all depends?
I tend to be hesitant and only give general information. I feel them out before opening up and giving information freely. After watching their conduct on the ice and running into them a couple of times and talking, I'll give more detailed information if they seem OK.
A little kid with the right approach, I'll let the kid take over a hot hole and even try my rod(setup/lure) and flasher if I think the kid could learn something or catch a fish.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Heck, if we don't get ice, it won't make any difference!!! LOL.. Normally I try to be honest.  I'm kind of a newbie around here and appreciate an honest answer! Doesn't mean I'm going to drop a jig down your hole!! I'm a bucket sitter and all people have to do is look. I've seen people put them on a stringer down a hole to hide them!! :cookoo: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I generally fish alone too. I know most people from summer and past years.
Its a smaller lake and there are only 3 or 4 great spots and everyone knows this.
I will tell u the truth, what Im using and even my jig cattence, but I like to b alone, so just not rite b side me.
Always the truth, especially if there's a kid involved. You can use everything I have and I'll give you my fish if you want them.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I sit on bucket all day, so there is no surprise, but when someone comes by, i give them "no speak english" response.

Offline frozencanuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I like my space, and I will always give a few hints, but not all of my secrets. Where is the fun in knowing everything, half of the fun is learning the lake and finding the secrets on your own. If you are a hermit on the ice and don't talk to anyone then you have been sitting on a five galloon bucket to long and need to get out and see what else life has to offer. Just my two cents, take it as you will.
Live to fish forced to work

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:45 PM »
I put mine in the bucket I'm sitting on if outside, but if you watch I can't hide anything... Sometimes even giving a guy detailed info on bait or lure choices they don't change up just get cranky as you catch more fish...

Offline Hux

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I have seen my hiding addiction effect me negatively in the following ways.......
FEESH ON!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:24 PM »
I don't hide my catch, but they usually go back in the hole, I like to obnoxiously holler "FISH ON" everytime I set the hook, making sure everybody in the vicinity knows I'm catching another one and they're not, jokes, ill tell most people alot on the ice, unless you have bells on your poles!

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I'm a hider, there are way too many inconsiderate people on the ice around here. They think nothing of moving right in on top of you, like your in the only spot on the lake that has fish in it. Polite people get a helping hand though.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Don't have to lie as I very rarely see anyone when out fishing.
When I do see someone they are usually just passing through on a snowmobile ride.
I think in the 5 years I have been here I have shared the ice less than a dozen times and there is usually a 1/2mile or more between us.   ;D

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:03 PM »
 I am a horder , unless i am fishing with someone , mum is the word . 

Passer by" catching any?"
Me " oh couple , nothing to right home about"
Passer By "oh cool thanks"
Me " yeap"
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:04 PM »
i fish in a shanty mostly and set a bucket on the side so it is still outside in the cold and keep them in there plus me shanty smells a little skunky so people only get so close :blink:
FISH ON

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I would say I fall into the depends how you ask me catagory. If your friendly not obnoxious I'll be honest. If its a parent with a child, heck I've been known to have the kid fish in my hole if it will let him catch a few. Do have to say that I am at a stage in my life where I get a bigger kick out of seeing a kid catch a fish then me catching one. Hey its a Grandpa thing.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline Monadnock Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't just throw it in the first hole you see!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I don't hide my catch, but they usually go back in the hole, I like to obnoxiously holler "FISH ON" everytime I set the hook, making sure everybody in the vicinity knows I'm catching another one and they're not, jokes, ill tell most people alot on the ice, unless you have bells on your poles!

Yes i do the same thing even if i just catch a 2 inch perch I'm  like YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEE AH  NOW THAT WHY  WE COME HERE. I'm in my shanty and no one knows how big it really was.......Its funny to listen to them wow he is really killing them lol.......Then as i walk in they will always ask so what where you catching ....I will tell them the truth no matter if they where small or big   :woot:  Life is way to short  for me to be  any other way.  I see life as a wake up and who we going to have a bit of fun with today.

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I ask for nothing I offer nothing...its fishing...id rather spend all day and catch one dink on my own then be handed the hottest spot on the lake PERIOD...honestly I can't stand guys who look for handouts...the only thing I dislike more than a nosey guy on the ice is the post in reports and condition that goes like this "hey guys I'm new to icefishing so can you help me out how deep where at are they suspended? What do I use for bait? What jig? What color? Hey thanks in advance"

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I throw most fish back down the hole, but here in the North East, I have never had a problem (on the ice) with rude anglers... I am always very willing to share, info, tackle, bait and many times the "hot" hole I am getting the fish out of.
I often end up fishing around guys that have not tried a new fishing technique in 20 years! I will be out fishing them 10 to 1 and it always surprises me that many aren't all that interested in what works! Some people ice fish for the "party", I ice fish to catch fish!
When I first got into ice fishing it was because of other anglers (strangers) that helped me out, I did not have anyone to show me the ropes, now I can't do any less than them...
I can understand that if people are coming in and crowding you with out permission, how you might not want to be very helpful and neither would I. But for now I am going to try to keep to the high ground, not play "Games". The way I see it you can never have to many fishing buddy's!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I tell the truth, as long as you ask the right questions  @)

Im not super forthcomgin with all the details but I will tell you how my days going and the basics of whats working, but you have to do a little on your own

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.