Author Topic: Huge Dissapointment  (Read 10481 times)

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Huge Dissapointment
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Nope didn't work now the Front porch hoop won't touch the ground. I even tryed flipping some and some not. There is just way to much fabric. I think chin and his buddy's at the factory just don't give a big stinky one.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I only flipped the ones on the hoop closest to the porch floor hoop. It helped some on mine but like you say it didnt make it 100 percent. My worst wrinkles were between those 2 hoops. Sorry to make you waste your time, it was worth a shot
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:32 PM »

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I would also have to agree that frabill has exceptional customer service, they sent me a whole new tent cover for my frabill free of charge because the zipper had stopped working correctly, the tent was about 3 years old!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Yep that is the same spot on this one. I like my house like i like my woman. Tight!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:41 PM »
All I can say is I'm glad I bought a spare canvas for my Otter Sm Den when I could. Too bad Otter discontinued that model.

My old man has a Pro that I built for him (4 yo) and the cover is fairly baggy. I was never too crazy about the molding and screws on the Clam, the otters trim setup is much easier.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
e: Huge Dissapointment
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:45 PM »
That's a good idea with the pvc and all. But I just payed $354 with tax for something I'm supposed to make several trips to the local True Value to make it work like it should. I bring out enough stuff on the ice allready. Anyway I still cant use the thing because the DELUXE seat has gone on strike.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I hope our sponsor is looking at this!

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:52 PM »
I know right! I am gonna live with mine being a little loose, my guide I had was the same way. My buddy has an older pro and his is loose too.  I know it sucks to settle for second rate when we are spending our hard earned money, but what can you do?  Maybe if we form a support group, we can get over bein ripped off. ::)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
i've had a clam guide for 10 years, never had a problem except for the canvas getting holes in which i've patched. still use it when i'm walking. there shelters sad to say in the time since i bought mine have deteriorated in quality. so i went with otter, great shack not so great customer service, at least at the time i got mine. frabil is not the answer for me either seem way to many sleds break even under light use. so when i went with the otter it was for build quality.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline djsublime

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiver me timbers!!!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Went with the Frabill Commando last year didnt have any problems with hardware and the directions arent the greatest but its not hard to put together ive been extremelly pleased with it so far.

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Jignpig - Thanks for the sapport and tips on the house. I just went down and messed around with it some more and its a bit better. Its a good thing I was not in the whisky tonight or thing mayhave gone postal. Maybe I should keep it my kids think its a great fort. Naw, like I said be for "CLAM IS DEAD TO ME"

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:12 PM »
My kids have tested the zippers thoroughly. When I put mine together they were in and outta the thing all night! Glad to share some info.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I too bought a new clam fish house this year, The Base Camp Thermal ,, and i too had the china quality!!!! a seam between the top and one side was not sewn in one spot. took pictures to send in and they email a shipping label and i got a repacement in a week.!! we might as well just get use to the quality!!! its here to stay the way it looks. they should just include a label with the product to return the junk, would cut down on time waiting!!!

I was messing around with my Pro TC tonight trying to get the wrinkle out and low and behold the pouch the front porch hoop goes in has already begun to rip.  It has ripped from the seam about 2 inches.  I am getting sick of the s*itty China quality that clam has resorted to.  Since there is a one year warranty I will wait to let Clam know at the end of the this season what kind of crap they are getting.  They will be sending a new canvas. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:47 PM »
I think we may be onto something here. Those SOB,s at Clam are now charging 1st rate prices for a second rate product.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:08 PM »
You have just had your history lesson on "THE NEW AMERICAN (CHINESE) ECONOMY".  Half the problem with unemployment in the USA is because American companies are "outsourcing" their products to China, the Phillipenes, Indonesia, India, etc., etc, etc., where the workers are paid 10 cents a day and don't give a crap how the products turn out.
Couple that with the fact that the overseas manufacturers are not regulated by anyone and they can use all manner of garbage materials in their product.

THE WORSE PART???   WE MORONS HERE UN THE USA CONTINUE TO BUY THEIR CRAP BECAUSE OF THE $$$$$$$  !!

BUY AMERICAN......BE SATISFIED

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:22 AM »
I just put my kenai together with no problems. Hope its as good on the ice as it looks in the garage. I've had the scout, I have the guide and now the kenai. I'm sold on clam as I've not had any trouble with them.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:27 AM »
I had no problem with my new scout tc. Everything fit perfectly. This is a really well built shack too.

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:11 AM »
I had a couple parts missing in my commando called frabill they where very sorry and sent me new parts free of charge, and a dicount # to use on their website!! my shappell had an issue and called them they sent out new pole free of charge. ! just saying, i have heard many bad thing as well about clam corp. i stay away from any of there products, the same goes with the showdowns, vexilar, nils and eskimo products they all suck.

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 03, 2010, 07:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems.  I ditch Clam a few years ago when I had problems.  Unfortunately it seems Clam is going downhill.  Not cheap, but one answer is Otter.  Mine is built like a brick *hithouse!  Expensive, not really.  I paid less for my otter than what they sell Yukon's for.  Of course I bought it in July!

Steuben1

Offline Regulator99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 03, 2010, 08:50 AM »
I bought an X2 the year after they came out. After it was together I noticed that the tent was waaay to tight around the front and it caused the sides around the bottom poles to cave way in.  Had to do the picture taking thing and send them to clam along with an explanation.  The problem was that when the tent was sewn together at the manufacturer, they used too narrow of a piece for the front panel. To make a long story short, after a long battle with CS, they basically told me that there was nothing they could do.  That was my first and last experience with clam. 

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:00 AM »
The quality has really gone down hill the last 10 years. Never had a problem with my otter thats over 10 years old.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:04 AM »
i have a 10 year old clam 2000 thats still kicking never had a problem with customer service either.i went with the frabill commando over the pro tc this year and will see if i made the right decision.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I bought a clam 2000 a few seasons ago and am not completely happy with it.  The fabric is shedding black stuff on the inside and I get covered with black dust when I'm in it.  The floor cracked on the very first trip with it......not beating up on the thing either....just sitting in it.  The workmanship is not exactly top notch in my opinion.  I'd try another brand if I ever bought another flip over.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:10 AM »
That really sucks!!! Sorry to hear that. They are built to look nice in the store but it seems like they will need a total hardware overhaul to be effective in the element...
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #55 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I bought a clam 2000 a few seasons ago and am not completely happy with it.  The fabric is shedding black stuff on the inside and I get covered with black dust when I'm in it.  The floor cracked on the very first trip with it......not beating up on the thing either....just sitting in it.  The workmanship is not exactly top notch in my opinion.  I'd try another brand if I ever bought another flip over.
my clam floor is all broken up and there is duct tape everywhere but it still beat sitting out in the elements.lol..200 bucks 10 years ago is decent for a shanty to last but ill get another 5 out of the ol clam.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Glad I bought mine before they were manufactured by Clam. I have what I believe is an original. It was called a So-Boat Explorer and is what is called the Guide now by Clam. I've had the thing for over 7 years and have had no problems with it at all.

I agree the quality, if you can call it that, has deteriorated on products over the years. But as has been pointed out, when we want products for a cheap price...we get what we pay for and they don't meet our expectations. It sucks!!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I've got a clam scout going into it's fourth season this year, never had any problems with it. It was a floor model, so I have no idea how hard it might have been to put together. The only problem I've had with it was when I dragged it over a concrete floor on its side and put a nice rip in the fabric, but that was me being dumb. My father has a frabil one man flipover and he really likes it, I've never fished out of it myself. Just got a used shapel 6000 a couple weeks ago that seems like it will work fine. Seems like a lot of the newer clams are a little less than people expect, though.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems.  I ditch Clam a few years ago when I had problems.  Unfortunately it seems Clam is going downhill.  Not cheap, but one answer is Otter.  Mine is built like a brick *hithouse!  Expensive, not really.  I paid less for my otter than what they sell Yukon's for.  Of course I bought it in July!

(Image removed from quote.)

Steuben1

Are Otters made in the USA? This thread has turned me off Clam.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Just from looking at the floor models I am not as impressed with the newer clams(the ones with the blue sides and grey tops). I do notice a difference with my Scout.  It must be an older leftover one because it is all blue and seems to be a more solid unit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.