Author Topic: Huge Dissapointment  (Read 10480 times)

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Huge Dissapointment
« Reply #60 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:36 AM »
  As a larger person 6'6'' and over 300 lbs I have never considered a oneman shelter , until a couple years ago .  Frabill came out with the Commando ,  finally a one man shack I could sit in and not have the tent rubbing my head .  With a seat thats as comfortable to sit in after 10 hours on the ice as it is the first ten minutes .  With a sled , and pole system made to be easy to use and withstand the winds of South Dakota .  With a seat system thats not only confortable but durable and able to easy hold me with no fear of breakage . All this from a company i can fully trust .

I have a Frabill 7080 that is on its third season .  Last year on a trip to canada both plastic seat frames broke in temps of -30 .  I figured I was gonna have to buy new frames .   Upon return to the states I called customer service , she asked how old the shack was , i said it was 1 1/2 years old .  She then apologized for my inconvenience and said I would be receiving complete new seat assemblies .  Their supplier had had a resin problem causing their seats to break in extreme cold conditions .  They thought they had been caught , but a few had been shipped .  A couple days latter i had completly new seats , covers pads and all . 

The three things that make a great company is , Great products , competitive prices and great customer service .  I feel Frabill has all three .......
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:42 AM »
BUY FRABILL!!!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:53 AM »
In all fairness the fish trap was king and the only choice in flip over design. Over the years they have gotten cheaper(quality) but yet more expensive. Other companies have copied the flip over design and have concentrated on quality control and customer satisfaction. I believe it's safe to say we as end users are starting to see that difference in the last decade. I have personally owned 3 fish traps and the first one was by far the best built.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problem with the new shack. Shouldve went with the WILD. Hopefully you can bring it back for an exchange if that's what you intend to do.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:16 PM »
  As a larger person 6'6'' and over 300 lbs I have never considered a oneman shelter , until a couple years ago .  Frabill came out with the Commando ,  finally a one man shack I could sit in and not have the tent rubbing my head .  With a seat thats as comfortable to sit in after 10 hours on the ice as it is the first ten minutes .  With a sled , and pole system made to be easy to use and withstand the winds of South Dakota .  With a seat system thats not only confortable but durable and able to easy hold me with no fear of breakage . All this from a company i can fully trust .

I have a Frabill 7080 that is on its third season .  Last year on a trip to canada both plastic seat frames broke in temps of -30 .  I figured I was gonna have to buy new frames .   Upon return to the states I called customer service , she asked how old the shack was , i said it was 1 1/2 years old .  She then apologized for my inconvenience and said I would be receiving complete new seat assemblies .  Their supplier had had a resin problem causing their seats to break in extreme cold conditions .  They thought they had been caught , but a few had been shipped .  A couple days latter i had completly new seats , covers pads and all . 

The three things that make a great company is , Great products , competitive prices and great customer service .  I feel Frabill has all three .......
Like i have said before. I have an older Frabill Tri-Plex 3 man flip over. One of the push buttons that lock the poles in the extended postion got tired and wasn't working so well anymore. I called Frabill's customer service wanting to buy some and the lady on the phone said i will just send you a half dozen, at no cost to you. You just can't beat service like that.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Wow!  I am glad this thread got started but sorry for your hard luck.  I was planning on buying a Clam after Christmas but I guess that's out.  I already have an Otter sled so I guess I'll just get the rest of the shelter to fit that.  Thanks for saving some of us some money and grief!  Hopefull Clam and other corportations who are selling us out to China will take note and change their ways!
Mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I don't own a Clam (well not the one you fish in anyways). But seeing they are a sponsor of this site i hope they read this thread and see how many of there customers are dissatisfied. Time for a reality check. They should be aware of how big this site is and how many views this has received already and sure to gain a whole lot me.

Everyone with a problem should copy this whole thread and email it to Clam's customer service.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:35 PM »
I was planning on buying a Clam flip over shelter after Christmas but after reading some of the problems a lot of other guys are having with your products due to poor quality, I am going to seriously consider a different manufacturer!  You should realize that selling out to China is not really in your best interest!

I just sent the above email to Clam.  I think more of us need to contact them and let them know they are hurting themselves by letting quality slide.
Mike

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 03, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I paid a little extra for one already put together that way there are no surprizes when you get it home and open the box , have a Shappell and a Otter and like them both , Shappell is the shack if you are going to be moving alot, sets up real quick

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:30 PM »
i have a 10 year old clam 2000 thats still kicking never had a problem with customer service either.i went with the frabill commando over the pro tc this year and will see if i made the right decision.
10 years ago, they may have been good. from what i'm seeing, appears to be more nays than yea's

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I bought a clam 2000 a few seasons ago and am not completely happy with it.  The fabric is shedding black stuff on the inside and I get covered with black dust when I'm in it.  The floor cracked on the very first trip with it......not beating up on the thing either....just sitting in it.  The workmanship is not exactly top notch in my opinion.  I'd try another brand if I ever bought another flip over.
the clam 2000 is not a flip over...i own one...i agree the floor cracked on mine but the fabric is still holding strong ive used it countless times no complaints...upgraded to a clam 5600 2 seasons ago and again i couldnt be happier with it...5600 is sturdy as brick and a breeze to set up...i fish as hard as the next guy but the problems seem to be in the flip overs and not the box style huts...i had to order a couple plastic hook ends for my 5600 they broke by my negligence and they shipped em to me free

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:15 PM »
sonar Man has it, Shappell DX3000 for me and I love it! ready to go right out of the box.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

surflizard

« Reply #72 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Saddens me to say it, but almost everything we use out there on the ice has gone down the tubes as far as quality is concerned ! Shacks, Heaters, Augers, Rods, Reels, lures, even simple things like skimmers are all Foreign Crapstruction !! I'll give my Frabill Ranger XL Twin Credit though, she's got a lot of hard miles on her and she just keeps on keepin on !  :thumbsup:  FLAAGGG !!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:06 PM »
There's one thing hear that alot of you seem to miss. Your posts start like this I've had a such and such for so many years and have had no problems. This is not the issue. This site is about current ice fishing!!!!! I could care less about your 10 year old clam its bought and payed for. Pay attention, to the current facts, it might save you some dough. Like most of us  time on the ice is limited.  So make the best of it and buy quality products. I make a hard earned honest dollar and would like to make the most of it.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #74 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Clam Corp. has yet to start a new post on IceShanty.
Anyone else notice that.      :unsure:

only 3 pages of Clam related items, have a look.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=184.0

They may not know how to post here - help 'em out.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:28 PM »
I have a 6800 Green Bay edition, had it for 6(?) years, and the only thing wrong so far has been the rubber straps breaking. Haven't looked at new shacks of any kind for a year or two, hope they can turn the quality problems around.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:30 PM »
There's one thing hear that alot of you seem to miss. Your posts start like this I've had a such and such for so many years and have had no problems. This is not the issue. This site is about current ice fishing!!!!! I could care less about your 10 year old clam its bought and payed for. Pay attention, to the current facts, it might save you some dough. Like most of us  time on the ice is limited.  So make the best of it and buy quality products. I make a hard earned honest dollar and would like to make the most of it.
I'm with u slab!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:34 PM »
I can't beleve this thread had not been removed. This is a great thing! This site is not ruled by sponsers. I think that the shanty is a excellent sorce to gain the latest info on the sport of hardwater.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #78 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Modified ~
Clam Corp. has yet to start a new post on IceShanty.
Anyone else notice that.      :unsure:

only 3 pages of Clam related items, have a look.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=184.0

They may not know how to post here - help 'em out.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:55 PM »
They just can't read it....its in ENGLISH!!!

Offline Big Musky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Another thumbs up for Frabill here, I like my trekker deluxe 2-man alot, have used it hard for three years.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 03, 2010, 11:06 PM »
I am in my fourth year using a Shappell Rover 1.5 and I love it. The only maintenance it needs is a little WD-40 on the poles so they come apart easier. ;D

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 04, 2010, 02:00 AM »
i have the Frabill "hub" style pop-up and love it....if i get another it will be the 6 man....Frabill all the way!!!!!
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:09 AM »
I can't believe this thread had not been removed. This is a great thing! This site is not ruled by sponsors. I think that the shanty is a excellent source to gain the latest info on the sport of hardwater.
The power of ice shanty. Word of mouth can be your best and worst advertisement. For some companys it may get your business booming, for the ones that only care about profits and not so much about QC, well that's another direction. The sponsors have the same chance to post as the customers. If it were my co. I would want every member of I S to know I would take care of any problems. Ice Shanty = America! wow do I need ICE.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #84 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:44 AM »

Eggsackly.  If all a company hears is "it costs too much" they may take notice and build the the low cost expectation.  Quality costs. 
Chris Raymond

servocam

« Reply #85 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:03 AM »
Yeah Quality costs, your exactly right there.  What they failed to think about is what percussions this "cheap" stuff would cause.  It is their name on it, and it sure sounds like it is not worth much any more.  

When I was searching, the Otter Wild was IMO, much better, and it did cost more, however, I'd rather pay for quality.  I did buy a Clam 6x12 Command Post Pop-up last year and really happy w/ my purchase.  I did leave feedback in the Sponsor section about it:  concern about zippers, small unthreading problem, and not using Aluminum or Stainless Steel hardware, and making the storage bag too small.

They did seem to address as two of my friends just purchase the Command Post and when at GM looking at it, the storage bag is larger and now has a pocket.  However, one of the storage bags, the strap ripped right off first time lifting it.  The eye-bolts now look to be Aluminum, so no rusting over your hub.

You have Quality of Product and Quality of Service which add up to reputation.
Quality of Product - you pay a good price and it lasts.
Quality of Service - if something does break or go wrong, how quickly the manufacture respond to resolve the issue.

I deal with this every day in the products I sell. In my industry, my products are the most expensive and take a while to get, but once you get them, it is "Get it and forget it."   If something does go wrong, and it does, we are not perfect, I am all over it to get it resolved asap, because at the end of the day, it is my name on the product.   Clam should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen.  Sometimes it is not worth doing what the consumer wants.  

Offline Wild Bob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wild Bob
« Reply #86 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Sorry to hear this about the Clam products...seems like until recently their reputation has been decent.  I have a Frabrill pop-up and have had good luck with it and no complaints here.

Please let me clarify, so there is no confusion:  My frabrill is less than 2 years old, so it's not new, but not completely outdated since the current model has changed very little (except maybe for where it is currently made).  Just a simple reference form a guy that is satisfied with a product.  Good luck working out the issues, hope you find what your looking for. 
Wild Bob

"Everybody told me you can't get far on $37.00 and a jap guitar."

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #87 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:31 AM »
It's again why I look for "Made in USA". Even if the manufacturer has a marginal service reputation you can at least contact them to get help. Otter makes a very similar product that may cost more but you won't find these problems. Wish I could afford Otter, that's what I'd have.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #88 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:52 AM »
There's one thing hear that a lot of you seem to miss. Your posts start like this I've had a such and such for so many years and have had no problems. This is not the issue. This site is about current ice fishing!!!!! I could care less about your 10 year old clam its bought and payed for. Pay attention, to the current facts, it might save you some dough. Like most of us  time on the ice is limited.  So make the best of it and buy quality products. I make a hard earned honest dollar and would like to make the most of it.
Along the same lines, maybe if a few more of us had some 6,8,or ten year old products instead of having to have the latest and greatest every year. I'm not pointing my finger at any one here and I don't see it much on this forum, but every time something new comes out some folks just have to have it. I have the same shelter that Surflizard does and it is close to the same age. Maybe if we let the retailers and wholesalers sit on some of this Communist Chinese crap for a year or so and live with what we have, things might just change a bit. Last year everyone was crying about Chinese made engines on some brands of augers. If ya don't like Chinese engines on an auger you might want to buy one produced in Sweden, Italy or maybe Japan. If we didn't buy the Chinese crud maybe some of these things would say Made in USA or Made in Canada. I have problems finding things made in the USA also, but I am willing to keep what I have rather than dump it after a couple of years for the newest and greatest. It's easier to blame the unions for everything rather than corporate greed where the real blame belongs. Let em sit on their poor quality junk for a while and they may wake up and smell the coffee cooking on the ice. Not a rant, just on old guys opinion.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:08 AM »
great post Ice dawg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.