Author Topic: anyone planning on any new equipment??  (Read 15634 times)

MarcusJ

Re: anyone planning on any new equipment??
« Reply #60 on: Sep 01, 2004, 08:52 PM »
This year I might just upgrade a few rods and buy one or two tip-ups and a bit of gear nothing in particular.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #61 on: Sep 02, 2004, 06:52 AM »
    Will be buying my daughters there own tip-ups (probably better than mine) and new custom jig poles (a friend is making several out of uglystick blanks) and a flasher, most likely a Vex.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #62 on: Sep 02, 2004, 12:17 PM »
I just ordered a Mr. Heater cooker heater and a 6" Lazer auger
Bobberstop

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
« Reply #63 on: Sep 02, 2004, 05:54 PM »
Well the following isn't new, but new to me...does that count?  Being as I AM married with children, I don't have a small fortune to play with.  With that in mind, I have been searching patiently, here, there and everywhere for fishing stuff.  To date I have bought: 1 older Jiffy 8" ice auger (runs like a charm) $35.00, a 12,000 Btu RV furnace $45.00, a 3 burner w/oven RV stove $50.00, a Hummingbird Silent Sixty-One portable depth finder w/battery box & transducer $FREEBIE$!!! (just paid for shipping), 3 ins. glass windows (18"x30"), 2 Frabil round pro therm tip ups ($14.00/each).  All this will correspond with the fish house I am building- 7'x16' with crank down wheels, 2 bunks (for 4 people), 9 holes, and even a small bathroom.  The "boss"/wife is giving me one shot at this, so I am making the best of it.  And besides...if ever I get kicked out of the house...I'll have my own lil shangri la to live in ;D
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Sep 02, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Man I wish we could use huts like that around here.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #65 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:31 PM »
I just bought a new Mr.Heater Portable Buddy Heater, and I got some new jigs (thanks George!). I need (well, want...but to us fisherman, there is a very fine line between want and need  ;) ) a flasher, and a new auger. Mine is only a year old, but I hate it...I'm already on my 2nd set of blades! Then I need new tip ups and a couple more jigging rods and reels. Then we gotta build the shanty...I got a portable last year, but we want a sleeper! ;D Damn, so many things, so little time...or money. Gotta love the hardwater!  ;D  :'(

-Zach

Offline Augerdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have Auger Will Travel
« Reply #66 on: Sep 09, 2004, 08:24 AM »
Besides tip-ups, rods, & lures, I figure the big ticket items every icefisherman would like to have would be a flasher, a power auger, a shack (portable or otherwise), and possibly a snowmobile or ATV to move around on the ice.  I bought a Vex last year, looking to buy a power auger this year.  Might be able to swing a portable shack in the future, but a snowmobile or ATV may be a pipe dream ::)

AugerD

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #67 on: Sep 09, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Well, I just got back from Fleet Farm - they had some ice jigs in a clearance bin, so I picked up a couple packs of Custom Jigs and Spins Purests (size 12, pink/white), for $.50 a pack.  Cool.  They also had the Cajun Red Cast line in 4lb, so I got a spool of that (been dying to try it).  Then, they had Silstar Tiny 20 reels for $16.99 - somehow, one of those found it's way into my cart!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #68 on: Sep 09, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Kilitandgrillit,
You're a man after my heart. Sounds like you've got all the necessities for a good day on the ice. If I built one of those, my wife would have to send out the search parties to find me. I'm bad enough with my portable.
RG

Yeah..well, there have been a few upgrades since I last posted.

1. The TV is gone. Too heavy, couldnt mount it securely. In it's place, is my laptop with a USB TV tuner. This will allow me to both watch TV as well as hook in a playstation to my laptop and play via the provided paddles. Power is still provided via 12V deep cycle and inverter. I bought a bunch of snowmobile racing games for it as well.

2. The grill has been made removeable and I built an inside storage solution. Dont need anyone making off with my Keg-O-Que.

3. Roof will be revised for a peak to help condensation, and storage built in the rafters

4.  WAN Antenna???? (debating, have to check for open networks on the lake)

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #69 on: Sep 09, 2004, 02:08 PM »
It is a sad (or maybe good) situation when i have to say "I cant think of anything I want or need"  ::) Hmm maybe need to sell some stuff and start over. :-\

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Sep 09, 2004, 02:24 PM »
RG how do I get in touch with Tony?  I NEED some of his jigs!!!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #71 on: Sep 09, 2004, 05:15 PM »
RG how do I get in touch with Tony?  I NEED some of his jigs!!!

Here you go. Please say hello for me ;)

TONY'S NEW HOME

George

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #72 on: Sep 09, 2004, 05:19 PM »

Plans for Vex this year... got "The Look" from the wife when I even suggested it!

Now it is time to buckle down and start pleading my case!!  ;D

Excellent point cider and thanks for bringing it up.for all you guys who may be new to the sport, or marraige, or both,cider has taken the all important first step of "BREAKING THE ICE" way before ice forms !you dont want to be asking for your major purchases too close too christmas or else you may have to go all the way till fathers day with the same sox and underwear that are in your drawer right now!so its scary i know but if you really want it this year...dont wait,start planting some seeds ;)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Sep 09, 2004, 06:53 PM »
A colleague's father has given up ice fishing due to ill health (I feel for him) and am trying to get the auger...my wife may purchase a portable for Christmas so that she has an opportunity to get out (doesn't like the cold)...of course, then we'll need a small portable heater as well, but we'll take things a step at a time.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Augerdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have Auger Will Travel
« Reply #74 on: Sep 09, 2004, 10:17 PM »
Cider:

I have also seen "the look". (I wanted to insert one of the smiley faces here to imitate it but none of them do it justice).  Where do they learn that from anyway?

Billditrite:

Your advice on "planting seeds" early is very good.  You should consider starting a new topic asking for suggestions on how to convince spouses that capital outlays for ice fishing equipment are absolutely necessary (right up there with mortgage payments and grocery money  ;D).  It could turn out to be one of the most useful and popular topics on this site.

AugerD

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Sep 09, 2004, 11:59 PM »
I got 200 jigs coming tomorrow.I also want to get at least 2 mabey 3 new ice fishing rods,some 4lb vanish line,a new winter jacket,some new boots,i could go on forever :o better get shopping ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Sep 10, 2004, 03:51 AM »
Trophy Hunter,
200 jigs :P
Whatcha get...whatcha get!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #77 on: Sep 10, 2004, 05:00 AM »
Trophy Hunter,
RG
usually have to say this to cider but....DOWN BOY!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #78 on: Sep 10, 2004, 05:03 AM »
Otis,
Many of those jigs are from Wolfram and Fiskas..check them out at
Your Bobbers Down's website (just search them...can't post a link for some reason)
Fiskas balances are awesome and out perform Rapalas hands down. The Wolfram tungsten jigs are perch and panfish killers for sure.

Builditrite,
 :P
RG

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #79 on: Sep 10, 2004, 06:13 AM »
Sorry Bob,

Darn spammers  :%$#!:

-Scott

(just search them...can't post a link for some reason)

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Sep 10, 2004, 07:08 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the prity shapes and colors!!!

THANKS RG!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #81 on: Sep 10, 2004, 09:11 AM »
FL-20?  Oh, don't even start that!  I'm drooling just thinking about it!!!  Although, the rumour is they are coming out with adjustable zoom to compete with the LX-3 in that area.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Sep 10, 2004, 02:01 PM »
RG I'm looking at these Wolfram jigs, what size do you recommend for panfish (Perch, Sunfish, Crappie)?

Thanks,
Otis
Follow the bubbles...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #83 on: Sep 10, 2004, 07:07 PM »
Otis,
You're askin' the wrong guy....when I'm in doubt I buy them all :-\

Can't help myself :P

I like the 3,4,5 mm for shallow water. I do a lot of sight fishing  and on those fussy days when they're really picky, a 3mm with a single spike will get the lookers biting.

I don't have many of the 6 and 8mm but I have used them with success to 50 fow for perch. They drop like you won't believe and have plenty of room on the hook for a minnow or waxworms.

Don't forget to buy some Marmooskas as well. I think the beads make a difference at times.

Tungsten Rules ;D
RG

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Sep 11, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Trophy Hunter,
RG
Well my jigs arrived yesterday @20cents a piece(good around here) I got a colourfull assortment of 1/8oz 1/16oz and my favourite for perch under the ice 1/32oz jigs.Just a start I want to get some acme kastmasters too they are deadly for everything pike walleye perch tullibee burbot i even caught a bullhead on one ;DThinking about trying tip-ups this year but don't know squat about how to use them.Also what is a good flasher for extreme cold weather I would really like to have one of those presently fish the run and gun method drill a hole no bites in 10mins see ya on to the next spot would be nice to see what is down there instead of just guessing.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Sep 11, 2004, 10:50 AM »
Trophy Hunter,
RG

I'm betting he got them here - http://www.geocities.com/agassiztackle/Agassiz_tackle.html?1081981816180

Derek

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Sep 11, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Trophy Hunter,
RG

I'm betting he got them here - http://www.geocities.com/agassiztackle/Agassiz_tackle.html?1081981816180
Thriller you are dead on great looking jigs and the man delivered them for free and threw in a few extras to boot. 8) :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Sep 11, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Last winter before Stevie had the web site up I asked him to put together a package for me for $50...good hooks on those jigs and unique paint scheme.  I got a few other odds and ends in with it too.

Derek

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Sep 11, 2004, 11:55 PM »
I bought some Wolfram jigs from Cabelas last year. They are high quality and very heavy. But I didnt like the colors and didnt cacth fish like I do with marmooskas. If marmooskas would take their hooks it would be a wonder jig.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #89 on: Sep 12, 2004, 06:58 AM »
Trophy Hunter,
RG
Well my jigs arrived yesterday @20cents a piece(good around here) I got a colourfull assortment of 1/8oz 1/16oz and my favourite for perch under the ice 1/32oz jigs.Just a start I want to get some acme kastmasters too they are deadly for everything pike walleye perch tullibee burbot i even caught a bullhead on one ;DThinking about trying tip-ups this year but don't know squat about how to use them.Also what is a good flasher for extreme cold weather I would really like to have one of those presently fish the run and gun method drill a hole no bites in 10mins see ya on to the next spot would be nice to see what is down there instead of just guessing.

I would start with the links below for answers and then if you have more questions I am sure someone on here would be able to answer them for you.

Tipup

Flashers

Good Luck

George

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.