Author Topic: Anchovies for dead bait.  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anchovies for dead bait.
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Just bought a dozen good size fresh whole anchovies for about 3 bucks.
I have seen smelt and herring in threads for dead but not anchovies.
Will these make good pike bait? They really have a strong fishy smell so I think they would work.
Anyone use them? Any thoughts?
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anchovies for dead bait.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:23 PM »
you can eat them if you dont catch anything.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:29 PM »
We tried them once when we couldn’t find anything else and they worked just fine. They were all smaller, around 6 inches but we still caught lots of pike and pike up to 41 inches on them

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:48 PM »
anchovies are fantastic for northern pike through the ice, all my old big pike pics from the 2000's on here were caught on anchovies. Used to catch MONSTER PIKE on 6" dead anchovies in lakes that stocked rainbow trout at about 5-11" in the fall...my theory was the big pike thought they were rainbows. One day only had 1 bite all day, was a nice 30" pike I got on an anchovy on a tipup, usually released em but kept this one cuz he swallowed it and was bleeding. Upon cleaning him, found about a 9" rainbow trout in his stomach.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2020, 03:38 AM »
I would not hesitate to use anchovies at all. Not legal in vermont I have also heard mackerel works. When pike have the feedbag on I have found they arent that fussy. Just my opinion.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2020, 04:26 AM »
As long as they don't find their way onto my pizza it's all good.  :sick:

Seriously, decent deads have been in short supply in this state the last few years. First the smelt population was decimated so I went to bloater chubs (like the ones that get smoked for eating). They were awesome but now their population is dwindling and all that remains is the stupid expensive vac packed stuff that runs like $16 - $20 a dozen. When I used to pay $1.50 a pound for whatever I wanted it just kills me.

As a result I'm not beyond shopping an Asian market for bait. Head to the back and look for the freezer bunkers and you will be amazed at the selection of sizes and shapes of fish frozen in the round. I know, may not be legal as bait depending on your location but still a viable resource. Amazingly inexpensive too. Wish I lived nearer a coast like you guys sometimes.

Anchovies as bait? Can't think of a better use for 'em!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:27 PM »
As long as they don't find their way onto my pizza it's all good.  :sick:

Seriously, decent deads have been in short supply in this state the last few years. First the smelt population was decimated so I went to bloater chubs (like the ones that get smoked for eating). They were awesome but now their population is dwindling and all that remains is the stupid expensive vac packed stuff that runs like $16 - $20 a dozen. When I used to pay $1.50 a pound for whatever I wanted it just kills me.

As a result I'm not beyond shopping an Asian market for bait. Head to the back and look for the freezer bunkers and you will be amazed at the selection of sizes and shapes of fish frozen in the round. I know, may not be legal as bait depending on your location but still a viable resource. Amazingly inexpensive too. Wish I lived nearer a coast like you guys sometimes.

Anchovies as bait? Can't think of a better use for 'em!
Asian markets around here have amazing selections...herring, while i personally dont use them are getting hard to find this season. but endless amounts of Whiting, mackeral and ballyhoo etc etc etc

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Asian markets around here have amazing selections...herring, while i personally dont use them are getting hard to find this season. but endless amounts of Whiting, mackeral and ballyhoo etc etc etc

heck yeah why not .... I've gone to a pet store before for waxies, maggots, mealworms, and frozen feeder fish ...

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:52 AM »
I have also used anchovies as pike bait in the past and they worked OK for me. :)
Hopefully you have luck with them as well. :tipup:

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.