Author Topic: What’s the Fish Trap bar for??  (Read 4752 times)

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
What’s the Fish Trap bar for??
« on: May 29, 2020, 08:35 PM »
I recently got a heck of a great deal on a two man Dave Genz Fish Trap Guide with two swivel seats ( the fabric is in awesome shape too- no mouse damage) it came with an adjustable length bar.  One end has a point and there’s a c shaped clamp on the other.  What is that for and what’s the best way to use it ??

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What’s the Fish Trap bar for??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 05:23 AM »
It's just a wind brace for the back of sled to top or front bar to next highest hoop pole in front. There may be one hole on your sled if it goes in back of you. Take it with you but usually not needed.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I have the same Trap, going on 20 years!

They come with two of those poles, one for each back corner.  There should also be two poles with c clamps on both ends, and two more with c clamps on both ends, but it is adjustable in length with thumb screw to set it in place, used on the front corners.
I usually only use all of them when it is very windy.  I do use the ones in the back all the time,  just to keep the thing from flopping around too much.
I just exchanged the original cover with a new insulated one available on the Clam website.  Big improvement!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Thanks guys.   I clicked on that clam link. The pole I have is the rear spreader bar.  Now that I think of it,  there is a hole behind the seats in the sled part that the point would go in.  Now I know.   Just need some ice now.   I spent today in the boat. The eyes did not cooperate.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:55 PM »
That bar in back also holds up the hoops if you want to sit in your trap, outside and have the cover act as a wind block. I probably use mine that way half of the time.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:44 PM »
That bar in back also holds up the hoops if you want to sit in your trap, outside and have the cover act as a wind block. I probably use mine that way half of the time.

Believe this video shows the hoops supported via the support pole @1:26 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Thanks guys.   I clicked on that clam link. The pole I have is the rear spreader bar.  Now that I think of it,  there is a hole behind the seats in the sled part that the point would go in.  Now I know.   Just need some ice now.   I spent today in the boat. The eyes did not cooperate.

Keeps the tent from falling or collapsing back on ice when moving or while enjoying those nicer days on the ice.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Did anyone catch that the guy in the vid had a cat with him? LOL  Thanks for sharing.   Change of subject a little.   I think I see why so many of the older ones get mouse chewed.  They take up a lot of space.  People are probably throwing them in a shed or something to keep them out of the house.  I had to rearrange some things but I’m keeping it in our attached garage...with mouse traps around it for good measure 😊

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Rabbitslayer on the subject of rodent damage prevention I have had good luck using Victor's natural rodent repellent  (chopped mint leaves) or a repellent called Fresh Cab made from conifer needles. rodents supposedly do not care for either smell both products leave your shelter smelling better then if you use moth balls.
 Steve

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2020, 11:15 PM »
Great tip. Thanks! 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2020, 10:36 AM »
 You are welcome happy I could be of some help.
 Steve

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 01:30 PM »

Keeps the tent from falling or collapsing back on ice when moving or while enjoying those nicer days on the ice.
(Image removed from quote.)

Eaxctly! Windbreak mode! I do the same with my X200.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.