Author Topic: Anchoring Flipover  (Read 7579 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anchoring Flipover
« on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:35 AM »
So was suggested to have a way to anchor my 2 man flipover on windy days and no snow on the ice.  Bought a couple small eye bolts to place on backside of sled to tie rope or something to it and run it to an ice anchor. 

My BIGGEST concern is that the threaded end of the eyebolt that is exposed inside the sled will catch onto the shelters' canvas when open and closing the shelter.  I have not drilled holes to install them yet.  Just wanted see if anybody had it set up like that on theirs and do you have any issues with with canvas catching or tearing the canvas?

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anchoring Flipover
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Just use the pull rope that's already attached to your flip put your anchor in the ice up wind

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I installed a Shack Anchor

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:45 AM »
I used eybolts ..i just cut the extended bolt and filed it some ..i have since switch to D-ring style hold downs..with Eskimo style ice anchors
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:33 AM »
just take the shavings from the ice holes and use your boots to move them where you'll be setting up the flip. make extra holes if you want more "bedding chips". then set it up with out opening it. take the rope and make another hole (use these shavings too for bedding) so the rope can be placed around the auger while it's standing in the hole. you'll want the rope some what taken up with little slack remaining. drill the hole at an angle upwind and have the flips back upwind. the shavings also keep wind from blowing in from under the flip and more so if you use hy-fax.

after you sit in the flip for a while, the shavings will compact to form a bond of sorts. works great! i do the auger to rope anchor on windy days even with snow on the ice. just make a partial hole if the ice is thick enough and drill it fully before leaving so it can refreeze. if the ice isn't thick enough leave the drill mostly out of the water. the sun can melt the ice around the bit if it's out so check on sunny days that it isn't slipping in. the more the lean into the wind, the better it can stay in place with the sun.

so far, just the bedding seems to work on slick ice for me and the auger bit has been a precautionary hold. i never use the doors and leave it deployed so as to keep my weight in it. that means i always flip it back when i am stepping out. this also helps a lot.

a buddy didn't do either one day and took the ride none of us want to ever be in. even his spiked boots couldn't stop it from blowing him and his flip across the lake while inside of it trying to make it stop. could be deadly if it blows to open water.

for my suit case shanty i drilled holes in all four corners so i can run eskimo anchors thru them. i could use one for the rope on the flip, but the auger is always used anyway, so no need to use some thing else. i also use them for my hub shanty's in all for corners and windward hubs.  i use my boots to move the ice shavings to the windward walls inside and never on the wind flaps.

on my flip i do add a length or pvc to the rope so i can shove that down a hole if need be. never needed to use it. makes it have a handle on it while pulling and helps the rope from winding around your person if you step into the rope to pull it. i run the rope thru it twice. some make ice anchors this way. make the letter T with the sort section of the letter out of pvc and the longer section is a tie off rope. use yet another section at either end of the t to be able to remove it from the hole. tie off the short length to the loner length so it stays topside.

i always use much longer rope than the stock ropes. the poly rope won't suck up water so it can't freeze to the lake. the longer length can help in a rescue. i use clips on the rope for my smitty.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:51 AM »
I just throw the rope under my flipover on glare ice.keeps it from taking off on most days.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:57 AM »
a buddy didn't do either one day and took the ride none of us want to ever be in. even his spiked boots couldn't stop it from blowing him and his flip across the lake while inside of it trying to make it stop. could be deadly if it blows to open water.

Now that's scary...

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:55 PM »
The OP asked about anchoring a 2 man. Don’t know very many 2 man flips with a rope on the back, it’s on the end so throwing the rope over an anchor or auger won’t work. 

You should always anchor for safety. I use two eye bolts with a nut and fender washer on both inside and outside so I can adjust the amount that sticks out into the sled. I’ve had no issues with the tent catching. I attach the sled using two short chains and a carabiner to the eyebolt and loop the other end over an Eskimo anchor. I also carry Ice Angle anchors and straps in case of soft ice or I need more hold. Don’t forget the front bar. I use a conduit clip sized to the pipe and bored out to fit an Eskimo anchor to screw it to the ice.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:32 PM »
I drilled a couple holes in the back end of my 2 man flip, pulled ropes through them and through large washers such as fender washers. We used plastic washers at work and I used 4" plastic washers. I cut the ropes to the lengths I wanted them and tied them to ice anchors. When not using the ropes to anchor the shanty I pull them inside the tub where they are out of the way. All that is needed is a knot in each end of the ropes to keep everything together.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2020, 03:33 PM »
I drilled a couple holes in the back end of my 2 man flip, pulled ropes through them and through large washers such as fender washers. We used plastic washers at work and I used 4" plastic washers. I cut the ropes to the lengths I wanted them and tied them to ice anchors. When not using the ropes to anchor the shanty I pull them inside the tub where they are out of the way. All that is needed is a knot in each end of the ropes to keep everything together.

I have used this same idea on my one man. I use a short rope with a knot on the inside of the tub on each end. I then run a screw anchor and loop the rope over it. Slide the tub forward so the rope it taught on the anchor and fish away. When packing up I pull the knotted end till the rope is inside, load it on a smitty and head for the barn. Works great. You could do exactly the same thing with a two man, just have to drill 2 holes.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Ahh, I see.  No use of hardware on the sled, just holes and rope.

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:10 AM »
If there is extra threaded bolt after a big fender washer and nylon lock nut, use an acorn nut to cover the bitter end of the bolt.  Of course stainless all around
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:48 AM »
If there is extra threaded bolt after a big fender washer and nylon lock nut, use an acorn nut to cover the bitter end of the bolt.  Of course stainless all around

Yup, that's a good solution too.  A lot of good ideas on this site.  Thank you.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Back when I was using a two man did the two hole thing on the back side wrapped the ropes around the anchors. Now do the same thing if I find a place I want to stay for a spell. Otherwise I had some old tube socks I filled with sand, use them to hold the wind flaps down. Two to a side and two for the front. Last couple of seasons if the wind is blowing hard enough that I am worried about going for a ride probably not going out.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:50 PM »
When using my flip over shanty, I always put my "back" to the wind, then kick the slush from the holes against the downwind side of the tub.  This low wall of frozen slush keeps the shanty from sliding on the ice. I don't fish if the winds are supposed to be greater than 15 mph.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:44 PM »
When using my flip over shanty, I always put my "back" to the wind, then kick the slush from the holes against the downwind side of the tub.  This low wall of frozen slush keeps the shanty from sliding on the ice. I don't fish if the winds are supposed to be greater than 15 mph.

Fishing in new mexico and colorado would put a halt to fishing if I used the same wind limit.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:50 PM »
A ice screw with a short piece of 1/4" cable attached to a couple of eyebolts works great.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I ended up putting 2 small eye bolts on the back of the sled with some fender washers.  Should work good.

Offline richy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:36 PM »
take a 10" piece of half inch  copper pipe drill a hole thru middle tie rope thru hole auger a hole and send it down tie sled off to it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:51 PM »
take a 10" piece of half inch  copper pipe drill a hole thru middle tie rope thru hole auger a hole and send it down tie sled off to it.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15331.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:48 PM »

Might have to try that.  Thank you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:18 PM »

I use a a piece of flat stock drill hole just off center , works like a charm

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 AM »
I have 2 eye bolts in back of my sled.

I got the shortest ones I could find and extra washers to 1) spread put the force being pulled on sled and 2)leave as little of the open threads as I can to prevent anything snagging

I have a rope setup with a 2x4 I use carabiners to snap onto sled. Drill a hole, push 2x4 into hole and it floats to anchor itself on side of hole so it doesnt pop out.

But the first thing I do is throw water under my sled to freeze it to lake. It helps alot.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline richy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:16 PM »
I stand corrected filet and release is right drill hole off center easier insertion and removal.🧐

Offline Mcmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:03 AM »
I am thinking a kayak anchor would work in either a partial or through hole.  Just need to make sure the through hole is bigger than the anchor diameter of course. Less than 10 bucks.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Eye bolt with threads inside the sled with a fender washer then buy yourself an Ice Angel you’ll be set !
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:14 PM »

Basically the same thing but I only put 1,on upwind rear side of a 2 man flip, anchor that end first, then square the sled to the wind with the pull rope and anchor it. Always put our tip ups down wind of us, I think our farts scare the fish...……...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:26 PM »

I do that on each end 1 for towing , 1 for anchoring

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Clam makes an anchoring kit that works great and is not an issue with the canvas. I use a couple of Eskimo type anchors to keep everything in place. works great and I have no fear of anything coming loose.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:43 PM »
I always keep (6) 1/2"dia.  pieces of rebar  - 14" length, with a 4" L 1/2" drill bit in the sled.  4 for the hut and 2 up wind with ratchet straps.  Been in 35 mph winds with no issues   Seen too many huts flying across the lake and don't want to be that person.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.