Author Topic: What floor material are you using with Hub tupe pop up ice shelters? Ideas?  (Read 40182 times)

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
This is a great mat for the floor. Large 2'x2' pieces.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-6-Piece-Puzzle-Mat/21672523
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The insulated floor does a fantastic job  of keeping the QF3 nice and toasty. It is very mobile on the ice and can be loaded and unloaded by a single man, however it is much easier for two guys to handle.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shack Man that is a great floor/smitty sled!  I'm inspired to build one.  Is there anything you would do differently?  I see you have it on skis with a tow bar.  How does it pull in deep snow?

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a floor for my 6'X12' QF6 that I use at times. I bought 3/8'' fatigue mat at lowes, and u buy it in any running length off of a huge roll. It is 3' wide, so two laid side by side work great.
(Image removed from quote.)

Whoops didn't mean to post was just trying to blow the picture up lol.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
I glued some foil back HD foam to plywood.  Mine are about 16x24" pieces.  Just enough to put under my feet.  Fits my needs, and leaves the floor area open and my set up flexible.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It pulls good but I like to keep things light and it has hdpe sheeting on the bottom... when snow gets real deep a atv works nice.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That is clever Shoney! I like it! My hub shanty has a fully insulated Vibram floor that only weighs a few ounces:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have had floors is a couple of my portables and I like the natural ice floor better.  I think it could be ok if you sit there and not move in and out all day.  Every time you go out you drag snow and slush back with you. It freezes and get slick.  I do better just with good boots. 

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
I tried a lot of things but they took up more room in the sled made it more weight and became a hausle and not worthe it now I use this stuff called ice.... it's already laid out for me and is free. It works great!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shack Man that is a great floor/smitty sled!  I'm inspired to build one.  Is there anything you would do differently?  I see you have it on skis with a tow bar.  How does it pull in deep snow?
Overall I am extremely happy with how this floor turned out (3rd prototype) if I could change 1 thing I would try to come up with a way to elevate the sled to more of a traditional height smitty sled for travel and still have the ability to set down on the ice to keep drafts from coming though the holes on the floor. I have seen some ideas on this site that could address this situation but I haven't had time to build the 4th edition yet.... :tipup:

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
Snow and Ice. No need to clean up the beer you spill or blood from you catches.

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am currently in the process of building a floor for my shappell 6000 hub. Make it so I can move shack as I jig. Everything can stay in place, just drag it with 4 wheeler. Will post pics in a few days. Just need to insulate floor and paint it to weather proof.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I built a floor that doubles as a smitty style sled to carry my gear. [/URL[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/mshoenhair/media/phone850_zps52acd139.jpg.html]

A third ski on the top floor section would make it easy to move after it was assembled. For instance moving to another area close by.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes the third ski is planned for the next rebuild.....

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
Iv'e been using the interlockimg mats for years and they work great!  They are light and cheap!  The only bummer is the time to set them up.  i recently purchased three yoga mats at Costco for $13 each.  So far i love them!! Roll out the pads, drill holes, set up and fish!

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
That is clever Shoney! I like it! My hub shanty has a fully insulated Vibram floor that only weighs a few ounces:

(Image removed from quote.)

Those look awesome!   Any chance you could tell me the name of those bad boys?

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes the third ski is planned for the next rebuild.....
does the popup sit totally on the sled or is it on the ice?
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline bj66

• IceShanty Rookie
I was looking at a Clam six pack that was set up for display the other day. I got inside and thought to myself that my oversized Coleman bag chair would work well along with a semi truck rubber mud flap to keep my feet off the ice. I happen to have a couple of take offs from my farm truck that have a tear in them. Come to think of it, they would work well between holes in my flip over too......

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
does the popup sit totally on the sled or is it on the ice?
The QF3 mounts to the floor using the 4 grommets located on the inside of the shack and that still leaves me plenty of skirt to pack snow on if needed..... I guess what im trying to say is it does sit on top of the floor and only the skirt hangs over o to the ice.

Offline Gordy24

• IceShanty Rookie
I have a flip over, not a hub, but here is what I am trying out this year.  It's a mat from the trunk of my Buick Park Ave that I just hauled to the junkyard.  I was hoping to make it to 300,000 miles on it but fell short at 293,500. :( Anyway, I started the year with some of the interlocking square rubber mats that came from a hockey rink, but they were heavy and didn't fit into the sled very well with my other gear.  The mat is real light weight and rolls up nice and fits in the tub.  The mat also has little ribs so it makes for good traction when it gets wet.  I've only had it out once and it worked pretty well. 

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a flip over, not a hub, but here is what I am trying out this year.  It's a mat from the trunk of my Buick Park Ave that I just hauled to the junkyard.  I was hoping to make it to 300,000 miles on it but fell short at 293,500. :( Anyway, I started the year with some of the interlocking square rubber mats that came from a hockey rink, but they were heavy and didn't fit into the sled very well with my other gear.  The mat is real light weight and rolls up nice and fits in the tub.  The mat also has little ribs so it makes for good traction when it gets wet.  I've only had it out once and it worked pretty well. 

Man, those things could really pack the bodies in the trunk couldn't they! That is a huge trunk mat!

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
We just use a piece of carpet for the heater to sit on which keeps it from melting the ice and then we use a plastic rectangle card table from Wally world that we picked up for $30-$40 to put all gear and stuff off the floor. Plus the legs extend for different heights of the table.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The QF3 mounts to the floor using the 4 grommets located on the inside of the shack and that still leaves me plenty of skirt to pack snow on if needed..... I guess what im trying to say is it does sit on top of the floor and only the skirt hangs over o to the ice.
pretty sweet!
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Eddiethe4th

• IceShanty Rookie
The best thing I've used is plastic shelving. The stuff I found online was for making plant shelving. It's about 1" thick and comes in 2'x4' pieces. I used piano hinges to connect two pieces together and cut my holes. Then I glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the top. Very lightweight

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.