Author Topic: Nils auger  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A day of fishin, is better than any other day
Nils auger
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Anyone have one. Just ordered it and just curious as to if all the reviews are what they are made out ti be?  Tight lines again soon

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nils auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:12 AM »
Buddy has one. Cuts like a dream!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Gillhunter97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Eat Sleep Repeat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I've heard nothing but great things about them. Will have one next year instead of carrying around my jiffy power auger

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:18 AM »
With all the great reviews this thing has im surprised that there are any other companies is business if they are as great as they are made out to be. Ive had them all and the worst one is my eskimo 7 inch. But for 40 bucks not to surprised.

Offline Jon Johnson SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:26 AM »
I bought a used one 3 years ago.  It does cut like a dream.    Be sure and let it run for a minute or two before you start cutting for best performance.  Also, don't slam the blade into the ice or use as a walking stick, as you do need to send the blades out to get them resharpened!

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I bought a used one 3 years ago.  It does cut like a dream.    Be sure and let it run for a minute or two before you start cutting for best performance.  Also, don't slam the blade into the ice or use as a walking stick, as you do need to send the blades out to get them resharpened!

Let it run?  You talking about a gas auger? 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:51 AM »
They cut great but the handles take a bit of getting used to as they are a bit different than a lazer or mora, etc.  The top of the handle is not centered over the shaft of the auger like what you are probably used to.  Not a big deal, just takes a couple times to get used to it.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Effortless hole drilling. Just got to treat it like  a lady .
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I have one. Cuts like a dream until it won't. My advice, treat that thing like a baby and order a spare head now because one day you'll need it.

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:00 AM »
i was exposed to one 2 weeks ago.. wow was it amazing...

I ordered a 20$ drill attachment for my lazer auger. we'll see... :D

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I paired a 6" Nils with a Milw. 18v Fuel drill and my Jiffy now sits in the garage!!! Cuts like a hot knife through butta!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:16 AM »

I have have all 3 sizes and I've never looked back ,and the offset handles make the job a lot easier IMO , and I have 2 that were purchased around  1984 , but those 2 are the original Tanakas before they were stamped nils

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:40 AM »
With all the great reviews this thing has im surprised that there are any other companies is business if they are as great as they are made out to be. Ive had them all and the worst one is my eskimo 7 inch. But for 40 bucks not to surprised.
Every time I've tried to order one, they are on back order. This is probably one reason the other manufacturers continue to have a strong hold. That and the price of the auger as well as the replacement head.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Im intereested in seeing how you like it.  Im going to order an 8" here soon and have been boincing between a niks and a lazer

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Yes, make sure to avoid banging the head on the ice, throwing it into your sled, etc

It cuts great until it doesn't cut very well at all. Treat it gingerly and it will be the best auger you've ever owned

Going to a Lazer/Mora feels like driving a Toyota after a BMW or Audi

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Man yoi guys are really getting me excited for it to arrive and use it. And yes like all augers they are a precise piece of equipment. Ive always maintain my equipment. But unfortunately i lost my lazer down a hole with the chuck of my drill. It all just flew right down like nothing. Sad day. 300 dollar drill useless  and no auger. Lol. But thanks for all the input from the team guys. Tight lines and put a few on the wall. 😉

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Man yoi guys are really getting me excited for it to arrive and use it. And yes like all augers they are a precise piece of equipment. Ive always maintain my equipment. But unfortunately i lost my lazer down a hole with the chuck of my drill. It all just flew right down like nothing. Sad day. 300 dollar drill useless  and no auger. Lol. But thanks for all the input from the team guys. Tight lines and put a few on the wall. 😉
you need a disc or something of that nature to keep your auger topside. Another good piece of advice for all you guys with drills, make sure your wingnut is tightened down every time you begin a trip and periodically through the day if you punch 30 to 40 holes a day like I do.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Great advice... i probably dont check my wing nut often enough.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:46 PM »

Still don't get how people lose augers down the hole.  I have had my lazer on a Milwaukee drill for 3 years now and probably drilled 1500 holes or more and not once has the auger come loose from the chuck.  I remove it every trip to take the drill inside the house to charge the batteries if needed.  I don't put my auger in reverse ever on the ice so maybe that is why it never comes loose.  Either way a 20 dollar or less adaptor with a disk will prevent losing your auger.

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Well the whole shaft and chuck all came out of auger. Had nothing to do with wing nuts or anything. Ive had it for 4 or 5 years and never an issue and just boom. Gone.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:06 PM »
The disc is connected to the shaft, thus saving your auger. ;) if you lose your chuck the disc will prevent you from losing any of it.

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Yea i seen those. Was thinking about doing it again but with that. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger on another drill and conversion shaft.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Yea i seen those. Was thinking about doing it again but with that. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger on another drill and conversion shaft.
PTO a site sponsor has the disc I have. It is an aluminum disc with a 7inch disc so anything under 6 is a go with this setup. Believe it's 34.99.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:34 PM »
I have the 6" Nils and like it but haven't used it yet this year. Early ice I use my 5" Lazer on my Dewalt. I would like to get the adapter for it.
Fish on!

Offline Pan Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:48 PM »
My only suggestion is to get a cold snap cover for them.  Easy on/off and very good a protecting the blade.
Pan Phish

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:22 PM »
this will be year 4 with mine love it, all I use till the ice goes over 10" then it the lazer mag.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:39 PM »
My only suggestion is to get a cold snap cover for them.  Easy on/off and very good a protecting the blade.

Where would one find one of these at?

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:20 PM »
I've had my Nils 6" for going on 4 years it's crazy how good it cuts. Last year I purchased a Milwaukee Fuel drill & got the adapter from Cabelas. I'll never have to use the hand crank again. Cuts unbelievably fast. But I went to South Dakota in between the holidays and the guide we had used a Milwaukee Fuel and the K drill. I got to try it out in about 18" of ice. Well I'm going to sell my Nils that's how impressed I was with the K drill. Smoothest and fastest set up I've ever used. Very very light. I was always skeptical about these but glad I got to use one to see first hand how good they really are !
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:22 PM »
Where would one find one of these at?

Not sure that would be the best idea since you 'put on' the cold snap cover by pushing the auger blades forcefully into the cover.  I would assume the nils auger comes with a blade cover you put on by hand.  Go to cold snap outdoors to see what the cover he mentioned looks like.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I've had my Nils 6" for going on 4 years it's crazy how good it cuts. Last year I purchased a Milwaukee Fuel drill & got the adapter from Cabelas. I'll never have to use the hand crank again. Cuts unbelievably fast. But I went to South Dakota in between the holidays and the guide we had used a Milwaukee Fuel and the K drill. I got to try it out in about 18" of ice. Well I'm going to sell my Nils that's how impressed I was with the K drill. Smoothest and fastest set up I've ever used. Very very light. I was always skeptical about these but glad I got to use one to see first hand how good they really are !

Yikes...K drill is 225 to 250.  For that price I would hope it would cut smooth and fast for a long long time.  Replacement blades are not bad at about 40 bucks so that is a plus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.