Author Topic: Schooley  (Read 964 times)

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Schooley
« on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:10 AM »
I use the schooley for the panfish. They work great and jig like crazy with a minnow, however, I have lost a few in my days on the ice. Anyone have any good homemade ideas on how not to get them sucked in the holes. I realize that when big fish bite, they take the pole, but there has to be a way to keep them on the ice. Even in pole holders that fit on the side of a 5 gallon bucket don't work. Sometimes I even weight them down from back to front. Any Suggestions?? Thanks.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
Re: Schooley
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I have packed slush around the handle and let it freeze to the ice at an angle above the hole.  I have pulled up some 5-6 pound pike that had that little rod bent all the way to the water like that.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Simple and inexpensive.

Click for source

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Cut angles on the metal feet to help them dig in and catch the ice...

It works...

<°)))>{

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I've seen guys drill a hole through the handles and insert a dowel or rod longer than the ice hole is wide. The rod gets pulled down and the dowel/rod is too long to go down the hole sideways. Kind of like some of the auger bits available for cordless drills.

You could also attach some sort of retractable tether like fly fisherman use for their nets.

Idahogators advice looks like a winner. I never knew those existed and could use some for dead sticking pike.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2017, 12:56 PM »

Idahogators advice looks like a winner. I never knew those existed and could use some for dead sticking pike.

They do work out very well and even better if snow/shavings are banked up in a cone, especially if used in the sun.         :whistle:

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:41 PM »
I appreciate all the techniques and information. I will try them out. I was just tired of losing poles into the holes and not knowing what was at the end of the line.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I appreciate all the techniques and information. I will try them out. I was just tired of losing poles into the holes and not knowing what was at the end of the line.

Forgot to mention, in addition to the sharpened feet, loosen the spool enough to spin if pulled hard enough.. I've never lost a rod that way... I have found the pole over the hole with line pulled and the fish still on..

<°)))>{

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:20 PM »
I keep it in my hand. I have several schooleys for shallow water, never lost one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I need 3 more hands, as we're allowed 5 devices.      :woot:

My temporary solution has been setting 4 as finely balanced tip-downs ~ they've never missed.

Being tied to the stands  with 42" of light builders line has prevented lost schooleys.    ;)2

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I need 3 more hands, as we're allowed 5 devices.      :woot:

My temporary solution has been setting 4 as finely balanced tip-downs ~ they've never missed.

Being tied to the stands  with 42" of light builders line has prevented lost schooleys.    ;)2

I use 5, as it is legal where I fish. I jig one rod, have one rod as a dead stick with a bobber/minnow with the reel free spooling next to me, and then 3 homemade ice rigger type tipups. I mainly target crappie.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Take a look at these, they work for a 6" hole don't know about a 8" hole.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Tag-Alder-Tackle-Dickey-Rod-Saver
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:07 PM »
put it in a rod holder or keep it really close.  Could put on a bucket rod holder.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Ronco thanks for posting that.  I was going to attempt to make something like that might buy one to check it out.  Thanks for all the input.  Hen and I have been having some piles get yanked out of the bucket pole holders this season.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:08 PM »
my buddy made hole covers out of paneling with little handles screwed on them to grab hold of the covers, and cut a hole threw the middle of it to run your line through, have not lost a rod with one yet

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I drilled a small hole in the bottom end of the handle and screwed in an eye screw. I then took about three feet of old fly line( I think small para cord might be better) and tied one end to a carabiner and the other end to a small clip. The clip is attached to the handle and the carabiner to bucket handle, chair leg or flip over pole.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I'd suggest just keeping it in your hand. Most ice fishermen come standard with two hands so you still can hold a sammich in your other hand ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:57 AM »
If I'm fishing for craps, perch, and gills, I use 3-5 schooley poles. If i could grow and extra hand and arm I definitely would. I'm definitely going to try some of the techniques on here. I appreciate all the feedback.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:15 AM »
I usually just put mine down into the side handle of my cooler.  Keeps it at an angle where if a fish takes it, it won't come out easily.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.