Author Topic: Snowdog track studs  (Read 2657 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Snowdog track studs
« on: Dec 15, 2021, 04:12 PM »
Last summer, I ordered some ice studs for my Snowdog's track.  The company I bought the studs from is: Kold Kutter Traction Products.  The studs I bought are the Kold Kutter AMA 8-18 X 1/2" pk250.

First step was to hoist the dog up on a table I use for cutting plywood sheets.  I put 2 pieces of water pipe through the frame and put jack stands under the pipe ends.  This isolated the track so I could turn it by hand using the belt pully under the machine cover.  It also made it easy to sit and screw the studs into the track.  Here's what it looked like.

If you look closely at the picture below, you can see some of the studs and which round posts they are screwed into.  I only put the studs in the round columns that were part of a paddle.

The whole job took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete.  This should make the dog much more stable on bare ice and give me traction on boat launch ramps that are snow packed and slick and in slush.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowdog track studs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Nice, they'll definitely help alot, I remember those hours putting them in at night on my snowmobile so I could race the next day.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Bob. I bought the same studs and am hoping to install them on my snowdog this weekend.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:49 PM »
HardH2OFishin,

I used #10 5/8 and they worked great.  I just left it on the ground and worked from the front under the little mud flap.  Wasn't hard to reach them.  The trick is use a corkboard thumbtack or push pin to put a pilot hole in each round spot on the lugs.  Then just run them in with a drill driver.  Took me about 30 mins to fill half the round spots.  Hope that helps

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:10 PM »
YMMV, but I found the pilot holes un-necessary.  Centered the stud tips on the round barrels and let the drill run them home.  Saved a lot of time.  But pilot holes work as well if that is more comfortable for you.  I forgot to mention that using only the round posts actually in the paddles only used about 190 of the 250 studs in the package.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2021, 09:36 PM »
Looking good Bob. Now it's time to get it out. You think that will fit between the posts at causey?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:55 AM »
You think that will fit between the posts at causey?
I do.

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2021, 06:58 PM »
Looking at the poles today it might work. Thinking now I should have measured it  :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Looks good bob can’t wait to see it on the ice

Offline woodruffhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2022, 02:32 PM »
Bob:

How do you like that Snowdog? 

I may get rid of my snowmobiles in the future

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Bob:

How do you like that Snowdog? 

I may get rid of my snowmobiles in the future
The studs are working GREAT on all the ice we have right now.  But going over 2 or 3 mph is causing some severe whiplash on the pulled sleds.  I will be getting a set of Snow Dog 'skates' for my driver's sled to keep it from getting squirrelly on the ice.  I am very happy with my decision to 'upgrade' to the dog for ice fishing.  But I don't do those 30-to-50-mile round trips to get to a lake either.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.