Author Topic: Space for wood stove  (Read 2486 times)

Offline jayman_1975

• IceShanty Rookie
Space for wood stove
« on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:37 PM »
How much space would be considered minimal between a wood stove and the wall?   I’m re-vamping my permanent shack and it’s easiest done just moving straight back from where it sits and building the long wall out just wide enough to accommodate the stove.  Currently I have about 6” between the stove and the back wall and don’t seem to have any trouble, but with this setup it will probably only allow me 5” clearance along the sides. Do you think that if I tin the whole inside of the box that it would repell the heat well enough and not burn my shack down?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Space for wood stove
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I don't think you got enough room??  I think it is minimum 12 inch from back wall like at this link.. that what I learned the minimum is in my hvac classes I took in college ..see link for dimensions below..

http://nasdonline.org/1248/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:01 PM »
This all depends on the type of stove you got and it's requirements ?? I think some are useing back pack wood stoves that require less space best to check with manufacture before you scrap all..

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:19 PM »
I can only speak from experience. And I don't endorse doing any of my ideas without consulting a professional first but... my stove only has 5" clearance and I haven't shown so much as a heat mark on any of the materials around my stove. Having said that I purposely avoided any insulation or even metal siding on the inside. I framed my bumpout with 2x4s and steel sided the outside and sprayfoamed the corners inside to eliminate  all leaks. The rest of the shack is heavily insulated, with no fire it is comfortable and there is no draft even with the bump out uninsulated.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Couldn't say if there is a safe amount of clearance, but a hot fire would tell you.
If its too hot a thin sheet metal baffles fastened to the inside walls and spaced away even an inch will reflect heat and allow air to circulate behind through convection. The wood wall will be considerably cooler. The baffles can be fastened with screws and spaced away from the wall with sections of small diameter metal tube.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:05 AM »
Only thing I can say is go for it??  throw a macth to it and see if it works?? If it don't work you will be redoing it next year or mid season this year??  So I would say test it out early.. before snow gets here and your fingers freeze rebuidling it..

Offline jayman_1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Couldn't say if there is a safe amount of clearance, but a hot fire would tell you.
If its too hot a thin sheet metal baffles fastened to the inside walls and spaced away even an inch will reflect heat and allow air to circulate behind through convection. The wood wall will be considerably cooler. The baffles can be fastened with screws and spaced away from the wall with sections of small diameter metal tube.

This is what I was thinking, space the sheet metal away from the wall a bit.  Should work well I would think

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I used metal roofing spaced about 1" from the wall around my stove with a space at the bottom and top for circulation.  It hasn't burnt down in 8 years.  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:43 PM »
If weight isn't a big consideration I'd put cement board behind and underneath the stove, doing that you're definitely safe even with five inches of clearance.  All the home wood stoves instillation guides I've seen call for at least a foot of clearance on any side from a wall. 

Offline jayman_1975

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:21 PM »
If weight isn't a big consideration I'd put cement board behind and underneath the stove, doing that you're definitely safe even with five inches of clearance.  All the home wood stoves instillation guides I've seen call for at least a foot of clearance on any side from a wall.

I actually ended up lining the bump out with cement board.  I brewed up a couple good fires and the board got ripping hot but doesn’t burn.  Works great.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2018, 01:53 AM »
I actually ended up lining the bump out with cement board.  I brewed up a couple good fires and the board got ripping hot but doesn’t burn.  Works great.

Good to hear it worked out ... be carefull!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.