Author Topic: Who else has a hard time finding fishing buddies?  (Read 7242 times)

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who else has a hard time finding fishing buddies?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Ive got 3 and usually I can count on 1- I normally go 2-4 times a week wether its on the ice- in a boat- from shore or stream

Does anyone else's friends think its wierd/gay/stupid to fish? Out of 20 or so people im close too only 5 or so would ever consider fishing and only 2-3 are good at it.... Forget about a girl who likes it as much as me.... Ive been told I fish too much by my parents/friends as well

Looking forward to open water perching with the waders sunday!
     I think that those same people will think its OK to take drugs , and drink and drive,but heaven forbid you catch a few fish to feed some families, and they call you weird, just because they dont understand or refuse to try to understand.
            JK

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:45 AM »
All the time Had the best f ishing partner in the world (Bussman) but we now live far apart. My main problem is finding a partner that I can trust and fishies as much as I do.

But still its so much easier to go when you want, leave when want, move around as much or as little as you want and walk as far as you want lol. I hate trying to explain to people why we are going to walk 2-3 miles all over the lake esp if the fishing is slow :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2006, 12:05 PM »
yeah im always getting poop for moving all of the time from my fishin buddies.they just dont get it either.there have been times when things were slow so we moved and found them.there has also been times when it was slow so we moved and did not find them.works both ways for certain.moving does sometimes cause havoc.i look at moving as exersice that otherwise we may not have gotten

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I have a bunch of guys that I fish with.  I don't have many friends that don't like to fish.  Most of the guys I fish with are really into fishing.  None of them are as crazy about it as me but they still like it.  We have on guy in our group that is like a little kid.  If you are not catching anything he gets bored and wants to leave.  The next time we are going out, he does not want to go.  He will not come out again until we have an awesome day.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Most of my best icefishing pals have died, moved, or given up on the sport.  My 22
year old daughter comes out every couple of weeks just so she can outfish the old man.  My favorite hardcore ice guys are 64 and 75 so when I go out with them I get
to run the power auger and drill all of the holes.  I usually head out alone cause no one else wants to hit it quite as hard as I do.  Sometimes I hook up with other icefishermen at the baitstore or out on the ice.  It's more fun if someone else is around to show your fish to when you catch a nice one.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Well im gettin my licsence in 2-3 months so Ill be exspanding to further off better fishing grounds- 1 guy will go no matter what IF were guaranteed a trout lol, other guy would rather bowl or scrimage on counter strike, one Ive known since kindergarten and drives from wisconscin 2 times a year to pick me up (first official trip was last october-hes  a couple months older then me). But still 2 times a year isnt much. yes , I do fish illegally often at watershed's but the fact is its go there a catch a FEW fish and sometime none or go to a puddle of a town park and get the skunkaroo time and time again... If I had my licsence I WOULD GIVE UP illegally fishing no matter what.

I guess my best partner is my grandma- if its warm shes down to fish or read a book while I fish- dad works a full work week and then sidejobs all weekened and mom has 3 jobs - 2 nursing part time when hours are avialable and as asupervisor at pratt& whittney so no time there either. The onyl time I spend witht hem is dinner or vacation

None of my partners are ever down all the time, simply doesnt happen and the fact is I want to fish so you bet I will.

Offline Hawkeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 12, 2006, 06:25 AM »
I haven't had to worry about fishing partners for the last 2 years. I fish with Gambell who will go any time at all and I have a 16 y.o who has taken to hunting and fishing in a big way. Before these 2 though it was solo for me. It wasn't bad but having someone to share the time with is better. The only problem now is finding time that we can all go together, between work and school it limits the time. We work it out well though. I have even found that they can teach a old dog new tricks.    ;D

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:07 AM »
I just lost one of my best fishing buddies.  Doc passed on a little more than 2 weeks after his 100th birthday. Our last trip together was when he was 98.  It took a couple of guys to help get him into the boat, but once seated he was a fishing machine.  He was old school - if it came into the boat and was legal it was kept.  I remember one time on Barkley lake we hit the crappies big time and the limit was 50 fish each. It was getting late in the day and cleaning 100 fish by lantern light was not my idea of a good time.  After we had caught quite a few I would open the door to the live well and he would toss his catch in.  When he turned to cast again, I'd reach into the well and toss one back over the other side of the boat....  Later that night as we were cleaning the fish, I noticed there was a fair amount of blood on the table in front of him.  He had sliced his hand open. "Doc", I said, "That needs to be stiched up." While I finished cleaning the 40 so crappies, he drove to the hospital in Eddieville.  About an hour later he returned with a minimally bandaged hand.  He apologized me having to clean so many fish, then he removed the bandage revealing a half dozen or so clean sutures. "How's it look?" he said.  Before I could tease him about coming up with an excuse to get out of cleaning fish, he told me that he drove to the hospital,paid for an ER room and stitched up his own hand!  He later said that he did that because he didn't want to have to wait a couple of hours for an in-house doc leaving me with all those crappies to clean. He was one of a kind.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I am very fortunate enough to have 2 friends I fish with.

Both are family to me.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:57 PM »
Most of my fishing buddies died. The ones I have now are pretty beat up and expect everything to be done for them. The last one to ask me to take him ice fishing was sure to tell me he didn't have any of those short rods or tiny jigs. I take him fishing in my 14' boat and it isn't fast enough or stable enough and he can't walk for three days after being in it for a few hours. I guess I finally decided that I'm not going to operate a baby sitting service for other old farts.  ::)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Follow up on a previous post.

I once taught high school in a "rough and tumble" district where many of the kid's families were no too far
removed from the country. The guys all had all manner of hunting and fishing stories to tell and, back then, when
I could, I'd take them fishing.  In the early 80s, my wife  and I even took several on 14 day canoe trips to
the Quetico.  A couple have become life long friends who now joke about taking care of the old man (me). I'm not
gonna say I'm old or nuthin' but one of them is now officer emeritus for the school's police force and the other is a
retired high school dean. One is a professional grade bass fisherman with a $65K Ranger Bass Boat and the other
outfits himself out of Walmart. #2 is a true meisterjager who, when he goes into the woods, deer tend to fall down.
I have watched them both age and "get old" and then I realize "What does that say about me?" Lastly, I lucked out
when I found the lady that married me. While she doesn't hunt, (she enjoys prepping and cooking game) she is an
accomplished angler who has her own "line box" for ice fishing and built her own 7 wt Fenwick flyrod from scratch.
For our 3rd anniversary, she was delighted when I gave her a fillet knife of her own knowing that it meant I trusted her
to do a good job prepping fish.  COVID has been a real pain.  Two years ago I downsized my boat to a 14 footer.
Good for 2, but my buds and I have to drive separately and meet at the ramp.  I miss the BS and "righting of the
world" conversations to and from the lake.  Can't wait to get jabbed again and get this  behind us.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:46 PM »
A lot of the time it comes down to stay at home or go alone. I fish solo a lot and usually have much better days solo. However I have a friend who is a better fisherman than me, I go out of my way to try to coordinate trips with him.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:12 PM »
i don't have a problem finding people to ice fish with. i have a problem finding people who want to hole hop and move so much. 

i find like 90-95% of ice fisherman want to set up a hut and just let the fish come to them (hopefully!)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:54 PM »
That is the problem with fishing with someone else- you have to compromise. I have a long list of people I promise to take, but I am willing to adjust my fishing to make sure they have a good time. When I can't do that gladly, I go alone.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:16 AM »
I prefer to fish by myself most of the time. I catch more fish because I move more and try different spots without having to justify it to someone. I can stay out all day or head in early if I want without worrying about someone else's schedule.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:20 AM »
I prefer to fish by myself most of the time. I catch more fish because I move more and try different spots without having to justify it to someone. I can stay out all day or head in early if I want without worrying about someone else's schedule.
+1 I fish alone 90% of the time. Occasionally my kid or Dad comes with me, and that's it.

I fish to get away from people, so having fishing buddies would be kind of counterproductive 😏

*sidenote* the guy who started this thread hasn't been on here in over a decade... guess he found fishing buddies... or died 🤷‍♂️

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:46 AM »
My wife used to with me every weekend, then one year she just lost interest I guess. Fished with my nephew for around 25 years up until this fall. Don't know how or why, but he got into drugs. Never saw that coming! Did some stupid stuff domestically and has been in jail for the last year. I would hope he got his poop put back in one bag and we can go fishing again. Sadly he lost my trust and is going to have to earn it back! And as most have mentioned I actually enjoy being out by myself.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:12 AM »
I guess I am pretty lucky. When it comes to ice fishing, my dad and 2 brothers are learning from me, but I grew up going to Tomahawk WI pretty much bi-weekly and hunting/fishing the land/lake my grandparents purchased when my dad was in college. Since high school and college, I have really slimmed down my friend circle and have 4 close pals that are all avid hunters/fisherman and my brother-in-law is as well (which made it really easy for me to connect with him when I was first dating my wife). I know that if it is too cold for my wife to want to come with (she just likes to spend time with me on the ice, on a boat, or in a blind/treestand….which is great!) I can hit up any of my friends or brothers and at least one will be free that day/night. The harder part is that my son turns 1 in less than 2 weeks, and one of my brothers had his first child (son) this year, and my bro-in-law had his third son as well. Finding the time to get out is difficult but I am looking forward to when all of us can take our sons fishing and hunting. I recommend you try to meet some other guys that share your same passions, i.e. what do you take vacation from work to do? Fishing and hunting trips!! I just joined this forum this winter but have already made some good contacts with some guys that live close to me and I am sure I will end up on the ice with them sooner or later.

Rip them lips!
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:42 PM »
I have fished 44 days so far this ice season and I usually fish by myself.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:57 PM »

I just can’t bring myself to do that.  I like to at least meet someone out there at the ramp.  I might just have to go alone if I want to fish, not too many people I know ice fish and the few that do I guess prefer to fish alone.  On e more trip this year, maybe it will be a solo one.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:02 PM »

Got me beat. 29 days for me. I brought my boy twice, and the other 27 were solo.

My Dad's health hasn't been great this winter, so he hasn't made it out. He usually comes with me a day or two each season.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:59 AM »
I learned a long time ago that if I want to fish and hunt as often and as long as I do that I best do it alone.  My friends can’t always take off for the amount of time that I require to accomplish my goals and I think that it’s unfair to them to ask them to do so.  I’ve learned to be completely self sufficient and I have had great success over the years because I am driven to succeed at the activity at hand.  Don’t let others dictate how you live your life and accomplish your goals because if you have to rely on others you will never know your true potential.  I will say this that it would be nice to have a friend or two when I have to pack out a moose but I won’t let that stop me.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:10 PM »
I've experienced it from both sides I guess. Before my daughters were born I loved to hunt geese and would go with a small group. After my eldest was born I'd have dad duty when they invited me so I'd have to decline. Eventually the invites stopped coming.

Don't regret the choice and have got to watch awesome little ladies grow up.

Ice fishing has always been my "me" time. I don't like feeling like I have to play guide for someone. I like to experiment with locations, etc. to see if I can produce fish, and if I do, great, and if I dont, try something different next time.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:48 PM »
I usually fish by myself about 99.9% of the time. I also fish about every day.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:56 AM »
I'd much rather go with buddies, but it's like herding cats to round up a couple. Everybody is busy nowadays, only the really dedicated outdoorsmen are available on a consistent basis. Believe me, I understand family and work responsibility, but I see people fritter away time in front of the boob tube or on social media. Oh, the irony! :o LOL! Much as I enjoy IceShanty I'd rather be in one than on here. ;D

Anyway, forty-some times on the ice so far this year. Wife with me I think three times, buddies with me three or four times, saw friends on the lake and chatted a handful of times. Otherwise rotted by myself. Not so bad jigging but watching tipups frozen in the down position is not the fun it should be. Alone at night after a few pops the mind runs away, were those lights in the sky a UFO? Is that dark shape along the shore Sasquatch?  :unsure:  ;)2

Next week I'm heading north, going to fish with a group for a few days. Nice bunch of guys, lots of stories and laughs, but after a few days I miss my quiet time on the ice. Why the heck do other guys make so much noise? It's hard to hear the lake sing, the wind whistle and the coyotes howl.  :( 

Icefishermen are tough to please, aren't they?  ;D

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:15 AM »
Yesterday was such a nice day, I didn’t want to miss being outside, so I went alone.  It was a great day, easy drag and walk out, lots of ice, good tunes and not too busy out there.    Even had a few fish to play with.  It wasn’t bad at all, as a matter of fact, I liked it a lot!    Although my wife texted at least 5 times and even pointed out a gas hole on Oneida, which was only about 20 miles away from me!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:18 AM »
 gas hole on Oneida
what does a gas hole look like 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:45 AM »
gas hole on Oneida
what does a gas hole look like

It's where methane bubbles to the surface, it opens a spot in the ice just like a mechanical bubbler around a dock. They might be a foot or two across, or twenty feet+. Bad juju if you go in. On a perfectly calm night sometimes you can get them to light up for a moment if you toss a match in.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Our world is changing as fast as I am aging. Between social distancing, social media, the Wuhan Flu, politics, gender equality and all the rest of life in the fast lanes I find I am better off just going alone. The last guy I fished with started in on how he loves one President and hates the other and I wanted to stuff him down an 8" hole. I found his ignorance to be overwhelming and all he could fall back on is I am a racist. Other guys I like to fish with and who have similar attitudes as mine come with other issues like heavy drinking or smoking other stuff and most have limitations like needing to be somewhere at particular times right in the middle of a great fishing day. I can't go far by myself these days and it is not worth the trouble and effort to just go for a few hours but off the ice by noon. My one buddy who is a real fisherman and will go any time is very important in his work life and can only go to places with a good cell signal. I guess he is surrounded with employees who can't make simple decisions on their own in his absence. Just listening to him on the phone with them makes me want to slap the fools on the other end. His people make a heck of a lot more than $15/hr but IMO are not worth the going rate of $7.25. I like to be on the ice by daybreak and off before nightfall but few are able or willing to do that. For the last 12 years my best fishing pal was my Brittany and she was ready, willing and excited to go in a moments notice but is just too old now at 14 or in a dogs age 98.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 27, 2021, 10:52 AM »
I find that the hardest thing to do is to get a partner on the spur of the moment. Before COVID, I took my neighbor every Tuesday.  I would bet that most people on this board could get someone else to schedule a day, if they proposed in advance. There are lots of people on the Idaho board I would love to meet up with once it is safe to do so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.