Author Topic: pelican lake  (Read 1119 times)

Offline jigger_

• IceShanty Rookie
pelican lake
« on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:48 PM »
 Hello ice people  Has anybody been too pelican,how is the ice thikness. Iam going to try it  this fri and sat. But is it worth it, have to travel  and stay the week end. thanks good ice fishing john

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: pelican lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Saw an older report on another site from Dec 28th... 8" of ice at that time. Outside of that, nada.

Specified they were fishing the east side of the lake (not sure if that makes a difference or not).

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Can't tell ya much about pelican as I have never fished there myself but welcome to IS john
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I was there on Saturday (Jan 7) and it was 12-inches near the launch.

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Hey guys all I have heard so far mostly is sloooow or no action on pelican lake.   Well I went down and fished about 4 hrs the fishing wasnt anywhere as fast action as it usually is.  But did manage some nice bluegills and some largemouth bass to.    Im no expert as im not a fish but Im thinking with the lake being so full for this time of year is that the fish are spread out.   The reeds are all deep enough for bluegills and bass to be feeding and hiding where as most years you have to get out away from the reeds just to get in water thats deep enough to fish.   

I used my fish finder and was able to see them come up and look at my jig then hit it.  a fish finder or underwater camera always seems to help so you know for sure if they are in that area or if you need to move on.    I talked with some other friends of mine so I didnt fish as much as I could have but was great to have gotten out and talked and fished with them.

The ice was 12" and had a couple inches of snow on top and pretty solid and the edges were pretty solid to.    But did see a few soft spots in the ice around some of the reed beds so make sure to check the ice good.

big or small I love to hook em all  ;D

Im hoping to get back down there soon and try some new baits out.  I cant wait ;D
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Nice pics trfishin can't wait to pull a largie thru the ice
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:19 PM »
yup they are always welcome on the end of my line or my sons while we are ice fishing down there.
heres a few from last couple years we have pulled out of pelican lake on my custom plastics I make

my bass wasnt as big but thats what happens when i take my little fishin buddy with me ;D

another angler came over and said wow little buddy nice bass and holy cow its cold look at your teeth some froze up and fell out.  it was only -22 below zero I said ok are you ready to go he said no Why I said im getting cold he said you can reel up the next one I get on it warms you right up ;D

I LOVE ice fishing but when it the ice is gone I love to go back and fish off my boat.    this one was from pelican lake 2 yrs ago that I caught  21" 7lbs caught and released off one of my 3 1/2" top water frogs I make
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Man those are some sweet bass :o that's great your boy loves the sport as much as you. Good on ya. Great story on the teeth too.  :roflmao:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:34 PM »
Nice pic's!

There must be something in the water out there... I've seen some pictures of huge bluegills as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.