Author Topic: Which Style of Quick Strike Rig?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Style of Quick Strike Rig?
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I've never used a quick strike rig, and want to get some for an upcoming pike fishing trip.  It seems I've come across two different styles. 1) A  two wire rig, each with a single treble on the end.  2) A one wire rig, with two trebles on it.  Are there pros or cons to the different styles?  Are they used for different situations?  Or is it just personal preference.  Looking for some help.  Thanks guys.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Which Style of Quick Strike Rig?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:34 PM »
I only use the two wire rigs.
Easier to get the bait to hang the way you want it to.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:46 PM »
I make my own, with either fluorocarbon or twisted wire.  I do one of two ways, attach a single hook pimple to the main leader line, the attach a stinger hook just above the main crimp. The stinger is a treble and only a few inches long.  I secure the pimple hook in the center of the back and the stinger below it in the belly.  Another one I make is a single hook with a bent back eye the main leader line goes through, then the bottom of the leader has the treble crimped on.  I use a tiny black 'O' ring on the main hook, with the leader behind it so it stays in place.  This is rigged the same way, single hook in back and treble in the belly. 

By hooking the minnow this way it stays upright and since most pike T-bone the minnow or grab towards the front, they typically have the middle in their mouth.  When using shiners, if you just hook in the mouth and back, the minnow can lay on it's side and if the back is facing out of the mouth, neither hook is in the mouth of the northern.  I also always set the hook when the fish is running with the minnow. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:27 AM »

Clam Big Tooth here.

WS

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2017, 04:06 PM »
I make several styles.

Two trebles inline with one sliding.

Y type yoke with a treble on each end and the swivel in the middle.

A loop with both trebles sliding and adjustable.

Not used for different situations. I will be going out with 3 kids on Saturday. We can have 2 lines apiece. So 8 tip-ups total. I am hoping that one of my combinations of style, color, blade, bead... will attract a winning pike. I like to give them enough options. Usually there are one or two tip-ups that get most of the flags.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:30 PM »
I went away from the y-yoke style as I have experienced the one hook catching somewhere back of the head and then have trouble getting them up the hole 
The zero rig style I make are good and just the basic rig with a fixed hook and one on the end   I use knot 2 kinky for my rigs   the coated steel doesn't last long when your into 10#er plus all day!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.