The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Leaking Auger???  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Leaking Auger???
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:54 AM »
My auger has a 2hp tecumseh and runs great.  However yesterday I removed it from the truck to find the muffler full off fuel and spilling out.  This has never happened before.  It was on it's mount in the truck with the muffler facing downward/gas tank up.  The only thing I can figure is I briefly demoed the auger off ice for a friend.  I fired it up with the choke on, run it for about ten secs and shut it off.  I then put it back in the truck.  I'm thinking maybe the carb sucked in a bunch of fuel which never had a chance to burn off, then leaked into the exhaust when put on it's side.  Maybe I could try putting the piston to the top so it seals off the exhaust port...or run it longer to give the excess gas a chance to burn off...

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it normal?

CTStriper

Re:Leaking Auger???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 10:08 AM »
Mine is doing the same exact thing... I have a Jiffy model 30. I can't complain though, she is now in her 17th year and has never been a problem before. It is in the shop as we speak, I'll let you know what they find ;)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:24 PM »
Blaine,
You may need to have your carb cleaned. Most likely there is some varnish built up on the needle seat which is allowing the fuel to pass by.

CTStriper

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 12:59 PM »
Lat year I would have agreed with that... I had the shop do that for me last year as you may recall ::) I find it hard to beleive that it would get so screwed up again in less than a year's time. I drained the tank over the off-season and mixed new gas last weekend... I dunno. Like I said she's 17 years old now and has treated me well so I can't yell too loud YET

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:08 PM »
Unless they removed the carb and soaked it on carb cleaner, they probably did not remove the varnish. Sometimes that does not even work. Did they replace the needle and needle seat last year? Or, did they just clean it? Carb kits for those are cheap....Maybe you could rebuild it yourself?

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:41 PM »
Get a carb rebuild kit. Its got to be the needle/seat. My Jiffy is about 15 years old, and doent do that even after bouncing around in the sled pulled by the snowmobile.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:52 PM »
Sense I don't own one I have a question. Do these carbs have a fuel bowl? Or are they a diaphram style And heres my two cents When you travel with these on the truck or on the ice lay them down so the carb is pointing down this way no fuel can get into the motor it will only drain out onto the ground. It seems to me the vibration in traveling alows a lot of fuel bypass.

CTStriper
The worst thing to do is drain out the gas over the summer it will develope varnish faster this way. Take the carb off and clean it out again the needle and seat is stuck open or bypassing and will continue to give you greaf untill it is taken care of. Next spring when you put it away leave fuel in it and once a month start it. When you get ready to use it drain out the gas and put in fresh. Most needle and seats have a neoprene tip and with no fuel they dry out and stick or do not seal and the motor will run like crap. If it is all steel try cleaning. But as Essox says a carb kit is cheap replacing is the best option. Just make sure you clean the whole carb before putting it back together again.
Cold Feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.