The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger  (Read 9914 times)

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:Hand Auger
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:36 AM »
You can also get these Nils augers from HT. Just go to their web site. I think their price is the same as Cabelas.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2003, 10:07 AM »
hey fishdaddy, what is that ht website? thanks
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Jam_Jam

« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Exchange rate sucks Tony...$116.14US = $152.23CAD.  So your saying the entire blue section up to the chrome handle is 47"...thats good to know.  Do you know if they are retailed up here in Canada...someone like walmart or some outdoor chain?  I doubt I'll lay out that kind of money without actually seeing and maybe even trying one.  

As for lifting snow out of the hole that is definitely an issue in deep ice.  I guess that is one of the tricks I use but never think about...in 36" of ice I swab out the auger quickly about 4 times to minimize the friction the cuttings create.  Definitely saves some drilling work and I could see how eliminating that in any way would be benefitial.  I'd really like to try the Nils but I just don't think they are common around these parts.  We do have normark swede bore available although I'm not sure how they stack up compared to nils as far as cutting speed and ease.

Jam_Jam

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2003, 10:21 AM »
We also have the Normark Fin Bore III deluxe hand auger.  how would that stack up Tony?  Is it the same thing with a different name?  Thanks

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2003, 06:55 PM »
Hey Cold Feet,
My Equipment is in Great Shape every time I leave the house...And when my sleds and my auger are put away for the summer, they are put to bed Right...
Yes, I did loose the little machine screw on the throttle lever on my auger.But I fixed it "just" good enough to use for the day, until I could get to town and buy a # 6 machine screw. I now have two new screws in my tackle box (complete with nuts and washers) just in case that ever happens again.Probably won't,but I will be prepared if it does.
I have to travel 90 miles to the lakes I fish for trout.I then snowmachine two to twelve miles on a snowmachine trail to get to the lakes I fish.Most of the time,I am the only one on the lake.If I take a friend, that makes two of us on the lake.
I hope that you do not think that I am complaining.Because I am not. I like it that way.I just like to be prepared for as many bumps as I can...
I also have a spare tire,a jack,and lug wrench in my pickup.I have great tires on the p.u.,but I would not think of leaving home without these emergency items.
The hand auger is just for peace of mind...
The reason I asked what the Best one is,so I can go out and Buy one.
Call ME Crazy for thinking this way,But that is the way I DO Things.
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:28 PM »
Jam Jam, $1.00USD=$0.765CAD is pretty decent.  I've been buying fishing gear out of the states for the last three years or so.  At one point it was about $1.00USD=$0.64CAD was hardly worth it, worked out about the same as buying it here after you paid the freight and duty.  Back then I mainly only did it for stuff I was unable to find up here.  Now I do it because I am finally getting a deal.  Fishing gear is just so much cheaper down there.  You should give it a try.  Then you wouldn't have to put up with the incompetence of The Fishin Hole...

Tight lines,
Trevor

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:32 PM »
Wyoming_Ice
Sorry if I offended you. But it just seems to be the same old story, when you go out fishing, hunting or whatever their seems to be someone out their who makes your day h#ll. All I was trying to state was be prepared. And it seems that you are. Bringing along extra small parts only could save the day instead of leaving to find parts and wrecking a day out on the ice. I own a older finbore which has the same head as the Nils and let me say I don't think you will find a better auger. This is my oppinion and I will never change it untill someone can prove me wrong, and let me say it hasn't happend yet.
Tight lines
Cold Feet

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:42 PM »
Cold Feet,
No Sweat...
It's just a different deal out here in the West.
I can't order pizza and have it delivered to my shack like some of the guys on this site can.That is pretty neat.
The whole thing is, I take my spud when I go now.Very soon I will have a swell hand auger to take along too.
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Jam_Jam

« Reply #38 on: Nov 27, 2003, 09:20 AM »
Trevor,  I realize the exchange rate has gotten better but I still think its tough to get a deal when factoring in shipping and duty etc. but I will be keeping my eye out just in case.  I noticed a normark fin bore III was going for $79CAD at the fishin' hole so it'll be interesting to see what I could get it for in the US all stuff included...I don't really think I'll be able to get it cheaper even with the better exchange.  Plus, even if I save like $5 I still have to wait a length of time to get it whereas if I buy here it means I can walk out of the store and use it that weekend plus I'm supporting canadian jobs.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2003, 09:37 AM »
Hey guy's I just got the new HT catalog in the mail yesterday!  they have the Nils in 3 sizes in it 4.5",6",& 8".  $74.99,$85.99,$99.99.   The web site is www.877icefish.com    phone#(920)994-9218. Lot's of good stuff  in the catalog call and get one!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.