The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand Auger  (Read 9913 times)

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Hand Auger
« on: Nov 23, 2003, 03:33 PM »
I am thinking of getting a hand auger for a back up...
I would hate to be out on a remote lake and have something happen to my power auger...
I have read some of the past posts and am leaning toward the strikemaster lazer model...
I think that the blade availiblity and ease of changing the blades have lead me to this...
Like I said this is just a back up...
thanks
Wyo.Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re:Hand Auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:16 PM »
If its only a backup, Id go with a Mora. There pretty inexpensive, and will cut good on good blades. Lots of people put down this models saying the blades go dull etc. Ive replaced my blades only once, also ive noticed that the replacement I bought were stainless steel, and brighter in appearence than what came with the auger. It also had the word Stainless stamped on the blade, where as the originals didnt, My old one went rusty, these have stayed shiney so far. The auger it self is pretty light & adjustable, and I think Strikemaster/Mora has dropped prices on these models. I think you can get a 8" model for 29.99.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:19 PM »
Wyoming Ice,
You get what you pay for...spend a bit more and get a Nils Master or Fin-Bor...when the time comes to use it, your day won't be ruined and your gas auger might get some rest.

RGFIXIT
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:35 PM »
Buy the best you will always be happy with it.  I use the Strikemaster Lazer 8" exclusivly.  I am only drilling 6 to 20" of ice most of the time.  The lazer goes through 15" in less than a minute.  I drill 20 to 50 holes every outing and the lazer cuts right through the ice.  I still have my mora but the lazer is much better.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2003, 10:14 PM »
I'm with fishdeepcreek on this one.  The Mora is underrated.  I have a six inch model that I use when I'm travelling light.  Mine has offset handles and is hinged so it folds in the center.  Think I paid about $30 for it about six years ago.  The only time I ever had to change the blades was when I let a guy use it, he drilled a hole literally two feet from shore, ran it into the rocks and chipped the blades.  I permanently keep an oil soaked rag between the blades and the cover so they are always oiled.  Do the same with the power auger.  They never get a chance to rust this way...

I've never regretted having gone with the less expensive hand auger...Look after it and I'll last forever...

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2003, 03:45 AM »
I think Wyoming ice said its a back up auger in case his gas auger breaks down etc. Why blow that kind of money on a Nil for an auger that may never be used? Id take a gas auger over a hand auger anyday, but for a back up, the Mora will work fine. Something Id to keep blades from rusting is use Bore Butter on the blades (blackpowder hunters know this stuff) I run hot water over the blades after a days fishing to remove ice build up, and to dry the blades, then apply bore botter allover the blades. The warm blades soak it up, then when cools, gets a nice coating on it. The products is natural & non toxic so it will not harm the water or fish.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2003, 06:05 AM »
Another vote here for the Nils. Sure it may cost a little more but it will out cut and out last any other hand auger on the market.
Pete Lewis

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2003, 07:21 AM »
For $20.00 bucks more you’d be crazy not to go with a Nils.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2003, 10:28 AM »
I'll have to vote for the Nils Master.  I have a mora (or did I gave it to a friend after I got my strike master)  The nils is the best it cuts so much easyer than the other augers it's in a class of it's own!  We had 2' of ice here last year the strike master wore me out after 2-3 holes, the nils I could use all day and not get tired!  Go with the Nils you won't be sorry!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2003, 10:48 AM »
I think people  are missing the point here,the guy said
it was for back up. Hey Wyoming Ice if you didnt live
so far away I would just sell you one of mine for cheap
Anyway find a cheap used one. Good luck.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2003, 10:55 AM »
For early ice, why pack the power auger?  Get the Nils and use it for early ice, then you will have a quality backup unit for later in the season.  I am sure that we all have spent $20. in a manner far more frivolously!!! ;) ;)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2003, 06:11 PM »
I think bushbunny hit the nail on the head. Think of it this way, you have a negative situation the power auger broke or won't start and now you have to cut holes in 1 foot of ICE or maybe 2 feet. Why would you have a double negitive with a backbreaker auger? Heck NOW you turned a negitve situation into a positive one ;D
NilsMaster :'(

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2003, 07:35 PM »
OKAY GUYS,NOW THAT I HAVE THIS CAN OF WORMS OPENED...
IS THE "VOLOCITY" BY NILS THE ONE YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT?
THIS IS THE ONLY HAND AUGER THAT I HAVE FOUND MADE BY NILS...
I TRIED TO GO TO THEIR WEB SITE AND LOOK AT THE THING...NO LUCK...FOUND IT AT CABELAS...
JUST NOT SURE IF THIS IS IT...
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INPUT...
WYO ICE

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Wyoming Ice - Thats the one. Get one and you'll be leaving the power auger home. Thanks to that auger I'll never have an power auger. Never wanted one in the first place but thats another story, lol

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2003, 07:54 AM »
I am thinking of getting the Nils Master auger myself.  I fish for walleye and get the occassional musky on a tip-up.  What size would be good for me the 6" or 8"?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:28 AM »
8"

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:32 AM »
Hey Dark cloud....You dont know what you are missing!  Never used a power auger, thats why you dont want one?  I guarantee if you used one youll want one.  I easily punch around 100 holes a day with mine, now lets see you do that with the hand auger! :o And while youre doing that, Ill be catching fish!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:38 AM »
I'd have to agree, any hand auger, even a Nils, gets old after a few holes.  Maybe in the land of 12" of ice and less, you can get by without power, but here in Wisconsin, you need a power auger.  Heck, last year I was up to the gearbox on my lazermag by January.  That's about 36" of ice.  And, I drill about a billion holes a day. No hand auger will do that, I don't care how swedish it is.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:54 AM »
Hey Dark Cloud, if it's noise and fumes you don't like you could always consider an electric power auger.  Where I live there is just no choice in the matter.  We are often into three feet of ice by January.  Power augers tie in to the mobility thing.  The more easily you can cut holes, the more likely you are to keep moving, hence the more likely you are to catch more fish.  I often use a power auger even when there is only six inches of ice, as I cut tons of holes and even with the ice that thin it still gets tiring with a hand auger.

Also, cutting holes with a power auger is just pure, manly fun...

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:57 AM »
pkevinb: If you are going to pulling musky through the hole you better go with the 8".   Still the best hand auger on the market. they do make them with powerheads I've never seen one cut, but I'll bet you better hold on to it cuz it's going to through the ice NOW!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Ice_Dog

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:18 AM »

I just got a  new hand auger. If anyone out there is looking for a good size to use get a 4.5 inch. I had it out on some pretty thick ice last winter and it had no problem cutting.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2003, 11:15 AM »
Not sure where you are from ice dog but you must be fishing small fish. Friend brought along a 5 inch auger ling fishing once and was he ever choked when he couldn't get some of his fish through the hole. Since it was the only one we had that day, I drilled 3 holes together in a triangle fashion and had no problem reeling in those 6-13lb beauties. Went home and changed the blades on my lazer so I didn't have to do that again. Drilling 3 holes I had some chipping to do to get the center out. Last year the ice hit 40 inches at some lakes here. I would prefer to drill one hole instead of three. 75-150 holes per day sounds worse if you multiply it by 3. ;)

Dark_Cloud

« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2003, 11:46 AM »
Swung79 - I have used power augers and still hate em. Loud, stinky and not necessary in most situations. Here in CNY we rarely have over 15 inches of ice although last season we were 2 ft plus. In the land of 3 ft of ice they are  needed. In my world of cutting and moving for panfish, I dont want one. And I guarantee I have drilled close to a hundred holes in a day.
Heres my normal power auger experience - Me, my father, and maybe one or two others are on a beautifull quiet small lake at day break. We are cutting and moving every 15-20 minutes, pulling gills, perch, and crappies from most every hole. Usually about 9 or so some yahoo shows up and "tries" to start his power auger. This we listen to for  a solid 15 minutes before the mechanic gets it going or comes over to borrow our hand auger.... :)  

Jam_Jam

« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2003, 11:48 AM »
So who retails the nils in Canada?  I haven't found them anywhere.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2003, 12:00 PM »
Where would I find one of these NILS hand augers in Northern IL??  I didn't see them on the Bass Pro or Cabelas website.  Petersens, Reeds and Fish307 did not have one either (unless they go by a different name than NILS).

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2003, 01:41 PM »
I think they call them "Nils Lazer Velocity Hand Augers". I could be wrong.
Might be a few different models.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

fish_hooked

« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2003, 04:54 PM »
Have a hand auger, unfortunately I borrowed a gas auger last year and have been nagging my wife ever since to get one.  Something to look for in hand augers has to be the adjustable height.  Makes a huge leverage difference for drilling holes if the auger handle can be raised or lowered a foot!

Jam_Jam

« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:10 PM »
In my limited experience with power augers I found that by the time you've tinkered with them getting them started, lugged them around to get to where you want the hole, held/balanced the thing up while you start the hole (specially tough on slippery ice) and then have to haul it up after it goes through the bottom of the hole...well lets just say I saw very little decrease in the amount of work...add to that the fact that you have to lug the thing all the way out to your spot (if you can't drive on which I often can't because we're not allowed to in the parks) plus bring a manual anyways "just in case" and I just don't see a big decrease in work overall at least not from the manual I use.  I'll stick with the hand auger...even replacing blades every year is cheaper than the gas and maintanance to keep those things running.  And i find the noise infinitely annoying when I'm out to enjoy a peaceful day.

Got a quote on the nils from Cabela's but I don't know if I can justify the money.  Its $150CAD including shipping (Vs $50 for the Mora) and its only got a 32" auger on the 6" model and 34" on the 8".  We have more ice than that pretty much every year.  Think I'll stick with the good ol Mora straight shaft...four years and still going strong.  Any work I'll chalk up as exercise.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:52 PM »
Hey Guys,
I have seen and exprienced some bad deals on the ice.
You get to your favorite lake and go to start your auger and a bolt has rattled out and there you are...With an auger that you can't use.
I saw a guy that drilled his first hole and when he punched through,his auger shaft fell to the bottom of lake.
I'm sure that we all have war stoies like these...Hence the back up...Weight is not a factor and I go alone quite a bit.
At this point I'm not thinking of giving up my power auger.There are a lot of times when a extension is in order.I really Love my Power Auger.
I would just hate to have a trip ruined because I couldn't get a jig wet.
Thanks Guys
Wyo Ice

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Wyoming_Ice
I'll bet the same guy takes his boat home in the fall and puts it away then in the spring hooks up to it drags it to a lake and it won't start! Do yourself a favor and when winter is over, take out the bolts and go to the hardware store and buy new. Put in a new plug, fresh gas, clean the machine up look it over and next winter it will serve you well. All this for a mear couple bucks. And if you put new bolts in put the locker style nuts on, the ones with the nylon insert on the head they will not back out. Just replace the bolts with the same grade steel as what came out of it look at the head for the marks (slashes) none,3 or 5 these are for the hardness of the bolt and replace with the same. A little preventive maintence will make the time you spend on it worth while. After all you don't go out fishing with the old line on your reels from last year do you?
Cold Feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.