The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: MORA AUGER  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
MORA AUGER
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Not being able to fish because of this f%^$&*g weather we're having here in michigan, I've ran out of things to get ready when the fishing starts. I'm getting old and the jiffy 30 isn't getting any lighter, so I was thinking of making a cordless drill auger. I have an old Mora 7in that I was thinking of using, but looking at it got me scratching my head. After taking the handle off, there was a thread and hex type of device sticking up from the auger. Does this come off, or is it permanent. If permanent, I must need an adapter to screw on it for the drill motor to hold it, If it comes out is there another adaper to screw into it. Thanks

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: MORA AUGER
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:54 AM »
I don't know, but the top section of that auger is fugly.  Have mice been chewing on it?  I can't stand Mora's, I think they're the most worthless auger out there.  I used to use my Dad's when I was younger and I probably got tendonitis in my shoulders from it.  I recall drilling holes through 3' of ice with it, it pains me just to think about it. 

Get a new auger. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:04 AM »
I have Mora's and love them! Granted they are 4" and 5", so they cut pretty darn easy. That is the older style Mora, and that thread and hex piece is pressed into the bottom shaft, it will not come off. I recently just had one of these apart to shorten the handle. I cut a section out of the handle and welded it back together because the thread is very rare. I've read it's a 15mm x 1.5. I did not check so I can't confirm this. If you have the handle section, just cut that off and use that portion of it to make your adapter.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:36 AM »
I don't know, but the top section of that auger is fugly.  Have mice been chewing on it?  I can't stand Mora's, I think they're the most worthless auger out there.  I used to use my Dad's when I was younger and I probably got tendonitis in my shoulders from it.  I recall drilling holes through 3' of ice with it, it pains me just to think about it. 

Get a new auger.

Sorry to hear about the bad times with dad's auger, as for the fugly top section, there was a tag/sticker on there and I used a pipe wrench to try to take the screw out, and the sticker got fugged up.

I have Mora's and love them! Granted they are 4" and 5", so they cut pretty darn easy. That is the older style Mora, and that thread and hex piece is pressed into the bottom shaft, it will not come off. I recently just had one of these apart to shorten the handle. I cut a section out of the handle and welded it back together because the thread is very rare. I've read it's a 15mm x 1.5. I did not check so I can't confirm this. If you have the handle section, just cut that off and use that portion of it to make your adapter.
thanks for the tip on shortening the shaft, I'll try that.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:17 AM »
I took the end off where the screw is, you weren't kidding it was pressed on. I cut it off with a sawzall, then tried to hammer it out with a drift, then tried an angle grinder until finally getting it off with a dremel. going to have a machinist friend turn a shaft a little smaller than the ID of the shaft then have him turn down the other end farther to fit in a drill chuck.I'll hold it all in place with a pin and clip.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:21 AM »
the ice master drill/auger adapter fits the threaded style mora augers or the wing nut pin style augers.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:29 AM »
what do you mean you can't fish? we have been fishing every day for the last week! the lake i fish has 5" clear ice and one of frozen snow, but that's melted now. calhoun
just sw of coldwater there's 8.5" of ice. branch.
6" on lyon lake. calhoun.

agree the ice master makes one ready to use. i have a freebie blue mora my buddy who owns lafounatin gun and archery of marshall gave me that he used to use. i never did any thing with it. i have 2 others that are lazers.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:33 AM »
what do you mean you can't fish? we have been fishing every day for the last week! the lake i fish has 5" clear ice and one of frozen snow, but that's melted now. calhoun
just sw of coldwater there's 8.5" of ice. branch.
6" on lyon lake.
calhoun.

Ice has blown out of saginaw bay except for about 100 yards of unstable ice, river is going fast, we have no place to fish, and no small inland lakes close by.Thanks for the info on the ice master Dr, and 3300

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I took the end off where the screw is, you weren't kidding it was pressed on. I cut it off with a sawzall, then tried to hammer it out with a drift, then tried an angle grinder until finally getting it off with a dremel. going to have a machinist friend turn a shaft a little smaller than the ID of the shaft then have him turn down the other end farther to fit in a drill chuck.I'll hold it all in place with a pin and clip.

Sorry Uncle Al but I think you'll be disappointed with that 7 inch Mora on a drill. Lazer or Nils 6 inch or smaller for the drills. JMHO
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I have seen others using 7in mora's with a drill so I thought I'd try it. Why do you think I would be disapointed?

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:00 PM »
 I have a Nils 8in , Mora 8in, and Eskimo 8in. I using my drill/Clam plate with the Eskimo 8in. It works great and is super light weight and compact setup. I drill through a foot of ice in 7-9 seconds with no issues whatsoever. Uncle AL, I'm not disappointed. My Mora is the older thread on type, that's why I'm using the Eskimo. I didn't need an adapter. 7in Mora would work just fine with a GOOD drill.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:21 PM »
I welded a 1/2"-20 nut onto a piece of tubing that fits inside the auger shaft. .. pinned it... the 1/2"-20 nut threads onto the drill after removing the chuck. .. no dumb ring or tether device to prevent lost augers... the nut only tightens to the armature of the drill whilst drilling... made one for a buddy as well. ..

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Which direction are the old moras threaded. I want to take mine in half for transport this weekend and wasn't sure

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Mine was standard thread direction. Which makes sense because as you turn it clockwise to drill, it would always be tightening.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:04 AM »
I have seen others using 7in mora's with a drill so I thought I'd try it. Why do you think I would be disapointed?
can't speak of the 7 in but I have the 6in mora and it cuts very well with milwaukee.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I've got an 8" Mora that I just converted into a drill auger this past weekend.  It does not cut through ice AT ALL!  The previous owner looks to have tried sharpening the blades himself and did not do a good job so i took a stone to it and got it nice and sharp but it still wont drill.  I've added shim after shim and the thing still wont harldy bite into the ice under its own power.  Im assuming that the blades are toast but does anyone have any first hand info on this that could help me out?  I've never dealy with anything so finicky as far as augers go, my Jiffy just takes it and likes it and drills.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I've got an 8" Mora that I just converted into a drill auger this past weekend.  It does not cut through ice AT ALL!  The previous owner looks to have tried sharpening the blades himself and did not do a good job so i took a stone to it and got it nice and sharp but it still wont drill.  I've added shim after shim and the thing still wont harldy bite into the ice under its own power.  Im assuming that the blades are toast but does anyone have any first hand info on this that could help me out?  I've never dealy with anything so finicky as far as augers go, my Jiffy just takes it and likes it and drills.

Follow my sharpening post. ..
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.0;nowap

If you or the previous owner tried to sharpen the bottom of the blades there will be a lot of work to get them back in cutting order...

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Vintage Mora hand auger to Clam Drill plate
Found a source for cheap vintage Mora augers, decided use with my Clam Drill Plate. They are made in Sweden so everything is Metric. The shaft of the hand auger is .700” dia. Turns out to be same dia. As the clam drill plate attachment shaft is the same dia. Thread is MM15 x 1.5. I wanted to retain the threaded part of the auger so I could exchange bits easily.

To make it work:
Get a short piece of Schedule 80 Ύ” PVC pipe, the grey stuff about 8” long. The inside dia. Is .712”.

[/URL

You will also need a 6” piece of 1” thin wall conduit. Most hardware, Home Depot, Menards will have both of these.

[URL=http://s358.photobucket.com/user/darvbethke/media/AUG6%20500x281.jpg.html]

I use an angle grinder with 4 ½” dia., .045 thick metal cut off blade to cut metal and PVC.
On you hand handle, cut off the bottom end (end with female threads in the handle) just before the bend. Should be about 12” long when cut.
Using a hammer, drive the 8” PVC pipe into the 6”. When flush at bottom end, cut off the part you hit with the hammer at the edge of the 1” conduit. This makes the coupler to connect the Drill Plate to the cut hand handle piece. The PVC inside the conduit provides ample strength to the coupler.

Slide the Clam Plate shaft into one end of the coupler and the cut off hand shaft into the other end. You will need to mark and drill a Ό” hole for a bolt to secure each shaft.

Now you can connect the threaded drill bit onto the clam plate. The total length of the drill bit should be about 45” long from the bottom of the cutting blade to the bottom of the drill plate. Allows you to drill through 44” of ice.

To change bits, simply reverse the drill, use a wrench on the threaded nut or a pipe wrench to hold the bit and pull trigger.

I did modify my cutting blade.
Added a pointed spade bit cut from a 1” wood spade drill bit, welded to a 3/8” threaded bolt. Drilled and threaded the center of the blade holding bar on the auger to screw the bit into. This stopped the auger from walking on the ice when first starting the hole.  Also cut 3/8” groves into the blade ever 5/8” duplicating my Eskimo and other fast cutting augers. I also put a .010” shim between the leading edge of the blade and the blade mounting bar to increase the cut angle.

To sharpen your blades I suggest using the outstanding post by A7X “Sharpen your auger blades at home” It is outstanding. With A7X sharping and the modified blade I cut thorough 14” of clear ice in about 25 seconds without putting any pressure on the drill. 14” is the most ice I found here in MN Twin City metro area due to El Nino.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Papadarv, an auger company should hire you to be a designer with your design.   That's a VERY well thought out design and I bet it works even better.

Offline TheSituation

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:36 AM »
Nice ingenuity.

You can also get this for the old threaded augers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172075585679?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Nice ingenuity.

You can also get this for the old threaded augers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172075585679?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Bummer - searched for something like this last Dec. even went to Clam headquarters in Rogers MN as they are only 30 miles from my home. They said Clam didn't have such an adapter. I'll bet they do now as I see sixelk also sells the ice screw adapter I did buy from Eskimo.
Thanks for the info.

Offline TheSituation

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2016, 12:07 PM »
The nice thing about what you did though, that you don't get with the adapter I posted is the added length without purchasing an extension. 

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Yes, the extension is really nice. I can drill 35" of Ice from inside my wheel house. I put a 1" flexible pipe on my auger exhaust to the window, have the house 5" above the ice so I can use a roof snow rake to pull the ice shavings out from under. Than drop the house to the ice and use my slusher to take the ice chips out of the drilled hole. At -25 deg. with blistering wind its nice to drill holes inside a warm house. Just need to remember to use insulated gloves when pulling the exhaust pipe out of the window - it does get a bit warm after 6 holes.

Offline TheSituation

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I just ordered a new 7" Mora from Amazon for like $55 shipped.  I had purchased an older Mora with the threaded auger on eBay, but the sale fell through...

I assume it will come with the Chinese blades...

Offline TheSituation

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Just got my Mora in the mail the other day and rather than buying a separate extension, I am going to use the concept here, and use the handle to make an extension.  Since the handle is adjustable, my extension will also be adjustable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.