The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: tips on sharpening auger blades  (Read 1497 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
tips on sharpening auger blades
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Any tips or tricks for doing a set of strikemaster blades? They cut...but its not the most fun in the world.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: tips on sharpening auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:16 PM »
If you have 5 buck$, sharpening is free, at :  Sebago Bait, up in Maine.

That's for shipping.     Best call them.     (207)894-7141             ;)2

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Ask around at bait shops or other fisherman to find someone that has a jig to sharpen them. You can try to do it yourself but if you screw up the angle it won't cut for beans. Also I believe fish307 has a program where you could exchange your blade for sharp ones.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Ask around at bait shops or other fisherman.

So much easier to read the preceding post.  Is there something wrong with FREE ? Just pay the shipping.  It's not rocket surgery.    ::)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I use a stone and mark the area of the blade to be sharpened with a magic marker. Only sharpen until the marker is gone. Then check the back side and touch it up once or twice to get any burrs off. Never change the angle of the cutting blade. Always go from inside to out.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:55 PM »
I use a stone and mark the area of the blade to be sharpened with a magic marker. Only sharpen until the marker is gone. Then check the back side and touch it up once or twice to get any burrs off. Never change the angle of the cutting blade. Always go from inside to out.

Right on the money. I use a hard (White) 4" Arkansas stone.Oh, and use some honing oil too. DON'T use a file...would you use one on an expensive knife blade??  ::) If you do a quick few swipes after every outing, you won't have problems.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:01 PM »
WOW ! You guy's tips are better than free.  It's just a back up now, in case of OOPS.    :thumbsup:

Here is what I've been using, under running water at the sink.

Hmm, where's the plumber's number.    :roflmao:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=diamond+sharpening+block

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Well i was gonna try an do it...but my buddy says he has done them before and hes gonna give it a whirl. Either that or just run them to the baitshop about 20 mins away and pay em ten bucks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:29 PM »
 ;)2
            Ten bucks!

It doesn't matter if you're rich or not, as long as you're happy and can afford anything you want.   

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Far from being rich. Surprised im even able to get on the ice at all. Borrowed auger for now. Kids and xmas is taking its toll hard this year for some reason! But wouldnt trade em for the world!

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Send them in

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:21 PM »
TeeBugg, agree !  Those kids come first, this time of the year. And all else, too.    ;)2

If you watch the sales at Harbor Freight, at times those diamond stones, at the link above, are $7 or $8  buck$ .

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Ive got some sharpening stones...just afraid to ruin the blades and be dead in the water completely

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I saw a guy use a lansky sharpening set up on a mora blades. The guide rod sat right on top of guide. He slid blade in holder til you could just see light above the cutting edge. When he was done it would shave and only a couple minutes work.  Cut super good. Steve

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Fish . 307 did 6 sets of 10" lazer mag power auger blades and it was a epic failure. And it was the sharpen job,  they changed the angle. Put new blades on auger and no problems. They did offer to redo said they never had a problem before but who knows I felt like we already wasted enough money on the shipping and payment. Had another local guy years ago claim he could do the lazer blades same failure only worse. Dont get me wrong the blades came back sharp enough to cut your head off but at the wrong angel they are worthless on the ice. I just bought 4 sets on sears dot com for $43 a piece. Pricey compared to sharpening them but I know they will work right. I think the problem is the curve on the lazer blade. Oh and yes I have tried the blue pastic sharpener to touch  up the lazer blades, some more wasted money.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Eskimo quantum blades are very easy to sharpen with a stone.  I am far from experienced with a stone and I took some blades that barely cut and now they are awesome. Just removed the nicks and lightly sharpened the whole blade keeping the original angle.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Buddy of mine did his best to sharpen them and gonna try them tomorow to see. If not we will be right near the baitshop to drop the blades off.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:57 AM »
I resharpened my Quamtum blades and like nwifisherman, have no experience in doing so or any training to do it. I was cutting through 16" of ice yesterday in 11-12 seconds.. I use a marker to cover the cutting area and then a cheap old stone that really needs replaced and take off just enough to get rid of the marker. Then a slight touch up on the back to get any rough edges off.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:11 AM »
Some of us can, some just never can.... ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.