The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Trouble with first power auger  (Read 5309 times)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trouble with first power auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:46 PM »
pics please when finished.... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I'll do better than that! I will drive it to PA so you can see it in person :o :o
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:52 PM »
you do that and i'll have steaks on the grill and some cold ones waiting for ya...lmao...

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Hey Toothfish,

The first bolt I took outta there was an M8 x 1.25 pitch.  Couldn't find that in grade 8 and I looked in 3 different hardware stores that have nice selection.  Tried stainless as I thought that it might be a little harder.  Actually took the auger in to make sure of the size because the far side is tapped as oppose to passing through and using nylock nut. Just got another one at my local HW shop and when I get her runnin' again I'll see how that does.  Thought M8 was weird because I thought Strikemaster was US built???

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Everything is going metric (I think the Canadians are behind this .. ;D)
Stainless is soft. Probably better off with steel metric bolt and replace it once in awhile.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:19 PM »
OK Fellas, for all who have helped and any who are watching - Good news and bad.  Easy to open up and I found it very simple inside.  The primary gear comes don from the motor where it is attached to the clutch drum.  This spins a compound gear with a large wheel on top and a small wheel on the underside - !st reduction.  This spins another large gear to which is welded the PTO shaft or the part you attach do your drill -2nd reduction.  pretty straightforward.  Bad news is that I toasted the compound gear and busted a tooth on the PTO gear.  Good news is that they are very easy to swap out and D-Rock in MN had both parts which will ship Monday and I'll be running again by weekend. $70 + shipping.  Also, found out while talking to D-rock that the reason it broke is that when my buddy put the new blade on he put it on bottom of plate instead of on top.  Creates a lot of torque because it sits too close to drilling point.  Bottom line is that we have nice strong motor a good clutch and learned a lot without anybody getting hurt.  When new parts arrive I will take more photos and post the whole things.  Thanks to all who responded and helped. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.