Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 304438 times)

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Two nice grills,I'm not the cleaver,all my Sammie's are foil wrapped and laid on top,and have a little fry pan that I slip the handle under the buddy handle,I like your ideas better.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:45 AM »
The Company must have heard it was being used like that.

They shut off now when you tip 'em.

Some people have disabled the switch that shuts the fuel off when they are tipped.

Wiener

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Gamalot wins...awesome!!!!   :o
The harder the better!

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:02 PM »
I gotta see this. :-\

Did you have your doubts??   ;)

I ended up doing something a little different (better?) than I originally intended. 

Took about an hour this afternoon, even with my half assed welding skills.  Don't look too close  LOL!    I used 2 1/2 " angle brackets and 1/8" or so steel rod.  A few bends and a few tack welds and voila.  This is better than my original idea I think because they are individual pieces than can be easily stored when not used.  I definitely wanted something easily removable for shanty packing reasons.  On the skewer, the dogs can easily be turned by hand.

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Tha should work.  may have to borrow that idea for skewers.
<br />

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:29 PM »
wnybassman -- Are you the same guy from NYBass? That is so simple, yet so awesome. I'm going to have to look into getting some of those done for me. I haven't a clue as to how to weld. Another suggestion would have to be another set that sit horizontally, then you can set enough up to where you can set things ontop of the bars.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:16 AM »

Some people have disabled the switch that shuts the fuel off when they are tipped.

Wiener

Thanks for the heads up on that.   

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:35 AM »
I heat up cans of soup with nothing more than my ice scooper, I prop the scoop against the buddy with the handle down in the snow and put my can of soup (I like Progresso Clam Chowder) on the scoop bottom in against the Buddy grills and cook away. Make sure you use a metal scoop ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I've been cooking on mine for years now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bought an aluminum mesh screen at HD for paint rolling in a bucket and fastened it on. Just keep the foil pans forward so the handle won't melt.

Gary
We had this happen this fall while deerhunting from our stand .I put two foil-wrapped corned beef sandwiches on the Buddy heater....after awhile we smelled melting plastic . The foil redirects the heat onto the handle . No damage done, because we quickly removed the foil packs and redistributed them .
A small grill jammed under the handle works much better....but don't forget to leave an air space  around the handle.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:31 PM »
I just made the hotdog cookers without any welding.  Picked up a pack of Colemen cooking forks.  bent the handle end to hang on the grate and bent a 180 so the hotdogs will be right in front.  (i'll post pics later).  Did it all for $4.00.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:50 PM »
My painters grate was about $1.25 and going strong for 4 seasons now. I had the pliers and as you can see it was a real pro job ;D

Get-R Done!

The new buddies have a fold down handle.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Just picked up my Big Buddy from Lowe's this morning. Can't wait to modify it into a Buddy Cooker. Good Thread!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I been wanting to cook something while icefishing for a while now but didn't want to drag the portable grill along, I have a regular buddy heater and the paint screen is a great idea! It will be nice to have something "HOT" to eat out on the ice. Easy and very portable, and cheap! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:08 PM »
They are not cheap, but they are fast. Jetboil.com. I do not have one either.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:58 PM »

..... Just keep the foil pans forward so the handle won't melt.

Gary

Learned this the hard way last weekend!

-Bob

Offline JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:02 PM »
kool i made mine out of a paintroller tray for a 3 gal bucket. i'd post a pic but i left it on the ice the first time i used it ! :o  good thing there under 2$   ;D   just a couple of bends  and your all set

Offline jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:53 PM »
had a pair of needle nose pilers frezze on me so i jammed em in the girl a few minutes later they sizzled when i touched em to snow ... so it should work good to make grilled cheese lol
Do you mean "grill" or do you have a Hot "girl"?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I dig it :) I'm gonna have to so the same. We used to use a metal pizza sheet on coleman lanterns. drill a hole through the middle of it and set it between the top screw and nut over the dome.  Now that don't use lanterns I'll be warming up hot wings Mr Buddy style.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:22 PM »
The paint roller grate I used was a bit wider than the mesh grill on my buddy heater. I had to pry open the metal trim on one edge and then trim the mesh to the right size. Crimped the edge band back on and did a couple simple bends.

Heat from below and heat inside my shanty not to mention the heat from the chille!

So how hard would it be for Mr. Heater to just put the flat grill on these to begin with?

Gary

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:27 PM »

Wiener

How do you shut that off? I hate that shut off.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:32 PM »
How do you shut that off? I hate that shut off.

Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

That low oxygen sensor might just save your butt if you ever fall asleep so I would not be messing with a built in safety feature as valuable as that.

Gary

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

Same with my Mr. Buddy
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Man.  You guys are killing me.  First I have to mod my shanty, then my sled, then my poles and holders and now I'm going to have to mod my heater.  It's going to be a busy summer.  Keep 'em coming.  I love seeing the ingenuity you guys possess.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:42 AM »
drill out the small hole on the pol end of the hose (where it hooks to the 5 - 100lb tank)
  allow more propane flow thru the hose to the built in regulator  thus allowing quicker start up and if you had issues with running it on high without it going out    now there is a mod that works too
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:28 AM »

Heat from below and heat inside my shanty not to mention the heat from the chille!

(Image removed from quote.)

So how hard would it be for Mr. Heater to just put the flat grill on these to begin with?

Looks good.  Not sure about the beans though.
You may want to reconsider the possibility of a gas explosion.   ;D

Opening the windows to let out a fart kind of defeats the purpose of a heater as well.

Wiener

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Looks good.  Not sure about the beans though.
You may want to reconsider the possibility of a gas explosion.   ;D

Opening the windows to let out a fart kind of defeats the purpose of a heater as well.

Wiener

Now you know why I hate Bibbs!  :(

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

That low oxygen sensor might just save your butt if you ever fall asleep so I would not be messing with a built in safety feature as valuable as that.

Gary

Mine is a Mr.Buddy.  It shuts down if it gets tipped even a little bit.  Very irritating when when you bump it with your boot and it shuts down. It chokes out automatically if the oxygen gets to low also, but there's got to be some kind of merc switch for the tipping.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Mine is a Mr.Buddy.  It shuts down if it gets tipped even a little bit.  Very irritating when when you bump it with your boot and it shuts down. It chokes out automatically if the oxygen gets to low also, but there's got to be some kind of merc switch for the tipping.

I have to fess up here as I was out yesterday and just for fun I tried to carefully tip mine and it does shut right off. I knew it had the low oxygen shut off but did not know it also had the tip switch.

Gary

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I have to fess up here as I was out yesterday and just for fun I tried to carefully tip mine and it does shut right off. I knew it had the low oxygen shut off but did not know it also had the tip switch.

Gary

I found the exploded view in my manual and it shows the tip switch location.  Although it's irritating, I think I'll leave it alone. Better tp have to fire it up again than burn down the shanty (or garage, I use it to dry my stuff out in my one car garage and it works nicely.

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:10 PM »
excellent idea!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.