Author Topic: Need some insight on the habits of the mighty channel cat.  (Read 3376 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  I need to know a little more about channel cats.  This afternoon, both my buddy and I broke our catfish cherries.  At 3pm with overcast skies, we had a school of "something" come in at the bottom.  In fifteen minutes we landed 8 channel cats on jigging spoons tipped with wigglers and waxies.  I even took one on my ultralight with Bro's Hexi-fly tipped with a waxworm.  Needless to say, we are now hooked!
  My question is: is there a general pattern channel catfish follow?  We were in 17 feet of water and once the school left, we couldn't find them again.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Need some insight on the habits of the mighty channel cat.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I fish the river so all the channels cats are suspending and feeding heavily on aquatic insects...I've got them to take minnows and the salmo chubby darter.

I've heard on lakes, that they have some bedding spots.  I've never found such a spot...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Which Dakota do you live in? What lake were you fishing?  What is the structure of the lake like?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:10 AM »
From what I've seen and heard it's a hit and miss ordeal ???
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:36 PM »
There's still too much unknown variables for ice catfishing.  I've only learned about it from the internet.  Always wondered but never heard of anyone actually catching them. 

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:06 PM »
It can really be lake dependent too.  There aren't very many lakes with superb channel catfishing... To the extent that they are easy or frequent catches on hardwater. 

You should be able to find out from reading reports or talking to locals / bait shops.  If you've never heard of anyone catching any in your reservoir / lake - or if it is a very rare thing... Don't count on having much luck.

They have to be there in good #'s to catch good #'s of them.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:01 PM »
There's still too much unknown variables for ice catfishing.  I've only learned about it from the internet.  Always wondered but never heard of anyone actually catching them. 
Most fishermen won't kiss and tell. They will give you a little info and then leave you hangin'. My season will be over soon, so........
 I target cats. Great eating,  I load the freezer with a 6 month supply in the winter, 6 month supply in the summer. Fillet, vac seal, collard greens and corn!
 Monday I went out to a lake where the locals swear the general public has pulled all the cats out cause the ice fisherman have not seen any.  Hmmmm.  I pulled 18 and kept 12. Tommorow I'm going again and should pull 20 at least.  I gave up on tip ups, gave up on jigging, zeroed in on cut bait and custom rod holders with added sensitivity. Now, if a cat even breathes on the bait you will see it.
 Pleanty of ice fisherman will tell you about the few they caught last year that ripped a hundred yards of backing. Sure you caught them. Anybody can catch those guys.  I'm catching the ones that just taste it and get spooked after giving your line enough pressure to pop a flag.  Getting flags and dropped bait? Think about it. There are better methods.........
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:42 PM »
We have a 5 cat limit with only one over 24 inches...Normally I will be lucky enough to catch two or three channel cats in a day, on a lake with high numbers.  I still haven't figure out these fish. 

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:33 AM »
  Thanks for the input guys!  Well, I haven't figured out the cats yet, but we have been constantly catching them!  The next week(from original post), we hit the same place and I pulled out three cats in under 10 minutes and then the school left.  The next week at the lake, we were searching for crappie and my buddy landed a cat.  I quickly came over and in the next couple of hours, we landed 10 cats and lost probably 5.  Everytime we know fish this new area and end up catching between 8 and 10 cats.  At this spot, they aren't nearly as aggressive...talking #8 jigs with a waxie, and taking very lightly.  And they aren't coming through in huge schools; a single or pair cruise through every so often.
  We have talked to about a dozen locals, and none have caught a cat through the ice.  I found this strange since we are catching them exactly the same as we catch bluegills and perch out of this same lake; so I thought everyone was catching 'em.  One thing I have learned...the color pink outfishes any other color at least 2 to 1.

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.