Author Topic: Couple questions about Cascade ice fishin for New guy  (Read 1329 times)

Offline fish.monger

• IceShanty Rookie
hiya,
How far from shore to channel for fishin?  20 ft deep OK ?

What kinda rig n bait  or jig is workin 4 trout n perch

What condition is ice for haulin gear out

Do fish bite at nite?

Cell phone reception on lake ? for fishin alone

Any shanties out overnite?

Thanks

Offline offfg

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Couple questions about Cascade ice fishin for New guy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Hopefully you will get better answers from guys who know a whole lot more than I do, but just in case:

It depends on where you start from.  It is a big lake.  In some places you can fish within a few yards of shore.  Other places, it can be quite a hike.  Same answer about depth.  Pick a decent Saturday and see where others are fishing.  Most folks are super friendly and will share what depth and what rigs are working for them.

Everyone has their own "go to" rig.  Maniac gazillas, jig-n-raps, tear drops, Swedish pimples, just a worm all seem to have their day.  Stop and talk to Tom, he can and will give you the best advice as to where and what to use.

It isn't the ice so much as the snow / slush / standing water.  I can only speak for walking in, currently you had best follow a well packed snowmobile trail.  Breaking trail on foot pulling a sled for more than a short way is a daunting task at best for me.  But then I am closer to 70 than 60 and in dog suck shape...

Only thing I have ever caught at Cascade at night were bullhead.  But that is just me, a pretty small sample.

Cell phone coverage is excellent.

Occasionally you will see a shantie out overnight, but not real common.

Good luck.  Hopefully some of the better fisherman will chime in with some better answers for you.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I'd say that Bill just gave you some solid advice.  I've never caught a single perch there at night.  Saw 1 trout caught in the dark, that's it.

Only thing I'd add is that if you aren't catching, move.  And keep moving until you start catching.  Often, I don't move, but it's usually because of mobility issues, as Bill described, or due to a lack of time.  Not much sense in moving every 20 minutes if you only have 2 or 3 hours to fish.........

Offline fish.monger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Thanks guys for the advise.
Fishin at nite is not any good
Does that me go home at darkthirty?

The idea of stayin out overnite is pretty useless in a cath more fish sence?

Is having a shanty shuch a good idea if it makes more sence to move if they are not hitting.
Move how far?
100 feet or 1/2 a mile ? or both  follow the channel i imagine

Have you seen anybody cutin ice with a chain saw?

Thanks for the conversation

Offline offfg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:34 PM »
the advantage of the shanty are in inclement weather or in getting a real early start the next morning.  the drawback is the hassle in staying mobile, although we did just use it as a base once and hit quite a bit of the lake before returning.  I will defer to Neil (hooknhunter), he is way more competent than I am when it comes to mobility (and all other aspects of fishing...).

I have never seen anyone using a chainsaw.  You might want to check, I seem to recall there being a restriction on the size of hole one can open, I believe it is 10 inches.

Again, hopefully Neil or someone else with more experience than me will give you some advice.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Thanks guys for the advise.
Fishin at nite is not any good
Does that me go home at darkthirty?

The idea of stayin out overnite is pretty useless in a cath more fish sence?

Is having a shanty shuch a good idea if it makes more sence to move if they are not hitting.
Move how far?
100 feet or 1/2 a mile ? or both  follow the channel i imagine

Have you seen anybody cutin ice with a chain saw?

Thanks for the conversation

Fishing at night has not been any good for me.  At all.....

When I move I'm either going to move a long ways to a "new" structure, or I might move only a short distance to change position on structure.  If on a flat, 100 yards or so at a time.  You just have to experiment.  You might be right on top of a school that just isn't biting.  The next school might be biting like crazy.  Just gotta move until you find volunteers.

Offline fish.monger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Headin out to try ali this good advise, base campin on shore, stayin mobile, usin an auger
will report on Cascade report if any thing to report.
Last thing
Is it true you will enjoy fishin more if you catch fish?, I am hopin to find out  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.