New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1340588 times)

Offline Nick_

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11340 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:48 PM »
bro lake George is officially the "king" of being overfished lol. Four 7 hour outings in the past two years and have only had 2 chasers  :-\ and we're usually in 70-80ft. Will probably start targeting perch or something on another lake lmao

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11341 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:51 PM »
bro lake George is officially the "king" of being overfished lol. Four 7 hour outings in the past two years and have only had 2 chasers  :-\ and we're usually in 70-80ft. Will probably start targeting perch or something on another lake lmao

there's a million reasons to not fish lake george but a lack of fish is certainly a new one...
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11342 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Most people up here don't have a problem with people fishing "their" lake at all. What they have a problem with is people trashing their private property. Lake George is a big lake that can handle pressure but it doesn't have enough access for the amount of people fishing it. So what happens is private access spots where you can park 5-6 vehicles reasonably would be tolerated and allowed. Now those spots have 40+ vehicles trying to park any which way they can fit and are blocking the road and driveways. Residents complain. Neighbor allowing the access doesn't want to upset the community. Access denied. Beating a dead horse but it's going to get worse. The attitude of "I just drove four hours to fish the "king" so I'll park wherever because it's life or death if I can't jig up 23 inch lakers." Has and is killing all little private access points that have been open for years. I wouldn't drive 4 hours to fish Lake George anyways.
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11343 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Most people up here don't have a problem with people fishing "their" lake at all. What they have a problem with is people trashing their private property. Lake George is a big lake that can handle pressure but it doesn't have enough access for the amount of people fishing it. So what happens is private access spots where you can park 5-6 vehicles reasonably would be tolerated and allowed. Now those spots have 40+ vehicles trying to park any which way they can fit and are blocking the road and driveways. Residents complain. Neighbor allowing the access doesn't want to upset the community. Access denied. Beating a dead horse but it's going to get worse. The attitude of "I just drove four hours to fish the "king" so I'll park wherever because it's life or death if I can't jig up 23 inch lakers." Has and is killing all little private access points that have been open for years. I wouldn't drive 4 hours to fish Lake George anyways.
X2
Well said

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11344 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:26 PM »

I wouldn't drive 4 miles to fish lake george.  if I wanted to see that many folks from down state I could go hang out at crossgates mall or southbay on champlain
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11345 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Have to get away from the crowds. Most people walk out few hundred feet and sit w the mob and dont move all day, then say it sucks. That goes for lakers and perch. Just because fishing 70-80 fow of water doesn't mean you are on laker grounds.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11346 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:28 AM »
This sounds like lack of experience more than anything

Offline S.Crawford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11347 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:03 AM »
Anyone know how much ice of Paulist Fathers? Please DM/PM if you’d prefer. Thanks!

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11348 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:47 AM »
I would like to thank the guy's who I have been reaching out to off and on for years now as to ice conditions on Lake George in various locations. We have been coming to George as a vacation fishing trip since the late 90's.We come from the Finger Lakes Region, stay up in the north basin so it is nice to have decent guy's that we can really count on t o keep us informed so we can adjust our plans. We just returned home from this years trip , which was a special success. We have been taking my brother in law since he as 11 or 12 years old and this year he and his wife brought their little girl for her first trip to George. We had nice weather and the laker fishing was pretty steady for us also, caught more 22" lakers than ever before. Thanks again guy's for the ice reports. Take care all.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11349 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:52 AM »
Have to get away from the crowds. Most people walk out few hundred feet and sit w the mob and dont move all day, then say it sucks. That goes for lakers and perch. Just because fishing 70-80 fow of water doesn't mean you are on laker grounds.
So true. I had no one near me as i was limiting out on perch yesterday. I spent 3 hours and about 40 holes looking. I started in 44 FOW because that is where I find them often. The fishing sucked and I finally found them in 34 FOW. On my way in I walked by many people who were in 34 FOW and caught nothing. Most stayed next to their shanties all day and were waiting for?? Luck? It is a big lake. I used to fish near the crowds and it would suck after first ice. Now I get as far away from others as possible
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11350 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:32 AM »
Found my perch in 37fow. As for lakers, i did'nt score any , just a few slaps. Boy would they shoot up for it thennnnn, nothing. Still was fun day . Good luck everyone.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11351 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:58 AM »
I would pay $10. It beats what they charge for tickets.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11352 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Hey guys is it even possible to get a atv out of vets? Or to much slush? Thanks

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11353 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:53 AM »
there were quads going out there all day yesterday . Hard ice
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11354 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Thanks

Offline countryrebel127

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11355 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:40 PM »
how far out of the bay at vets have the machines been going?

thanks

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11356 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:44 PM »
how far out of the bay at vets have the machines been going?

thanks
We fished off vets last week. Once you are out of the bay the ice thickness drops quickly. I mentioned it in previous post. We went from 8" -2" within 150'.
We fished the main lake today off different access. Had  whiteout conditions. Lake easily picked up 6" plus of snow today. Lake will be slush mess by end day Wednesday

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11357 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Warning to anyone fishing out of vets. I like to get out early and off the ice early but when I got back to my truck and trailer on Saturday around 10:30 am I had to wait almost 2 hrs for someone to show up and move their vehicle because some idiot thought it would be fun to block me in. But I was not the only one, there we people blocked in all over the place. People show up late and just stuff their vehicle anywhere they can without regard for anybody else. Hopefully karma will work it out.
Stay Frosty

Offline senko69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11358 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Had a great weekend on Lake George.  My buddy got his personal best Laker which measured 37" and weighed 14.7lbs.  This fish was released to fight another day.  We set tip-ups for lakers and jigged for panfish.  I did manage one surprise 28" laker caught on the fly above my Hali on my lightweight perch rod, that was a blast!   

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11359 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Warning to anyone fishing out of vets. I like to get out early and off the ice early but when I got back to my truck and trailer on Saturday around 10:30 am I had to wait almost 2 hrs for someone to show up and move their vehicle because some idiot thought it would be fun to block me in. But I was not the only one, there we people blocked in all over the place. People show up late and just stuff their vehicle anywhere they can without regard for anybody else. Hopefully karma will work it out.

I hope they have good health insurance if they did that to me...I'd lose it over that. People are unreal

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11360 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Had a great weekend on Lake George.  My buddy got his personal best Laker which measured 37" and weighed 14.7lbs.  This fish was released to fight another day.  We set tip-ups for lakers and jigged for panfish.  I did manage one surprise 28" laker caught on the fly above my Hali on my lightweight perch rod, that was a blast!   

What a pig!  Congrats to him. Nice job on C&R.  Those trophies are great to keep in the lake.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11361 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:58 PM »
Anyone been out on Huletts lately that can give walking and lake conditions?  Thanks
Tony

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11362 on: Feb 23, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Anyone been out on Huletts lately that can give walking and lake conditions?  Thanks
Tony I can tell you north of there couple miles was a slushy mess walking would have been horrible I appreciate the replies to everyone always I wish I can tell you more I don’t know what it looks like after yesterday or this warm week coming up hopefully by weekend it’s almost glare ice and easy dragging

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #11363 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:20 PM »

I was out Sunday and the walking was not great and getting worse: some areas had slush under a crust that would break as you walked on it, some areas had water under the crust, and some areas were wet areas that had frozen and were slippery.  We got about three more inches of wet snow yesterday and it was almost 40˚ and raining a bit today.

The forecast for tomorrow is highs in the 40's and chance of afternoon rain, so things won't get any better until we get some cold weather again.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11364 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:36 PM »
I was out Sunday and the walking was not great and getting worse: some areas had slush under a crust that would break as you walked on it, some areas had water under the crust, and some areas were wet areas that had frozen and were slippery.  We got about three more inches of wet snow yesterday and it was almost 40˚ and raining a bit today.

The forecast for tomorrow is highs in the 40's and chance of afternoon rain, so things won't get any better until we get some cold weather again.

My drag out yesterday morning actually wasnt that bad. however when i went back in about 5, the drag took twice as long due to the snow. i imagine with the warmth over the next few days it wont be very fun pulling our gear. Although, that normally means with a little more labor you can get away from the crowds and enjoy better than normal fishing.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11365 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of, similar to Schroon, maybe the slush is a little worse here.  Need some warm weather to knock it down then some cold to button it up.
Tony

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11366 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of, similar to Schroon, maybe the slush is a little worse here.  Need some warm weather to knock it down then some cold to button it up.

In that order

Online ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #11367 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:13 AM »
               Just call the cops on them and they would probably get their info. off their license plate and call them or call a tow truck. And that's the reason I don't
               fish the weekends, idiots like that.

IW

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11368 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:39 AM »
In that order
It might just happen, won’t have sled this weekend so my fingers are crossed

Offline SnotCicle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11369 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:57 AM »
               Just call the cops on them and they would probably get their info. off their license plate and call them or call a tow truck. And that's the reason I don't
               fish the weekends, idiots like that.

IW
I did that. Called warren county sheriff and they called Bolton police and sent an officer right over. He sympathized but said he could not do anything. Although he did run the plate and let me know who it was registered to in case I wanted to track down the owner on the ice. Needle in a haystack!!

The guy that blocked me in could have just left a note with a cell# I could call when I got to my vehicle. He could just come and move his truck then go back out...minor inconvenience.
Stay Frosty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.