New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1341250 times)

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #11310 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Love watching people have fun on LG.  Pretty cool to see the smelt on the underwater camera too.

Offline TheWinterWanderer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11311 on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Wife surprised me with a weekend in Hague. Im hoping for some help on general Ice thickness and if there is a local bait shop that has live bait or if it’s better just to hit a south end bait shop on the way north. Not looking for any secret spots or that jazz. Just trying to get some help with basic info and have a safe little family weekend.

*** depending on weather and conditions it may be the first chance to see my wife and young son on the ice with me.

Offline H2OFOWLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11312 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Does anyone know if there have been any 4 wheelers out on huddle yet? Hoping to bring mine up on Sunday.

They’ve been riding atv’s out for the past 2 weeks off huddle.

Offline pikeman3033

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11313 on: Feb 20, 2021, 03:12 PM »
They’ve been riding atv’s out for the past 2 weeks off huddle.

Thank you for the info! My family has a camp in huddle and I am psyched to get out and fish it for the first time in 5 years.

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11314 on: Feb 20, 2021, 05:29 PM »
I was a little surprised this morning. I was at fish 307 before 6am (I love that they open a little earlier). The one guy working was telling everyone to go to pilot knob.

Now I get it, they need to provide info for customers part of the gig. But pilot knob cannot support that many people and to be telling any and everyone to go there?? You go down through the final 1/4 mile of the road and it is so littered with cars you could barely drive a vehicle down through the two lanes.

Tons of out of state plates and people just stacked up. I shouldn't be able to hear your conversation with your buddy (in polish I believe) from inside my shack.

I just wish local people could have some places to go that wasn't so jammed up.

End rant
Rob

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11315 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Don’t try Pilot Knob at Fort Ann Beach, Sheriffs have been ticketing, and towing vehicles the past two days.

Offline striperhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11316 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:41 PM »
how much ice out over 75 foot of water coming out of basin bay? I drove by today and most people were at mouth of bay but not really past there ?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11317 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:53 PM »
I was a little surprised this morning. I was at fish 307 before 6am (I love that they open a little earlier). The one guy working was telling everyone to go to pilot knob.

Now I get it, they need to provide info for customers part of the gig. But pilot knob cannot support that many people and to be telling any and everyone to go there?? You go down through the final 1/4 mile of the road and it is so littered with cars you could barely drive a vehicle down through the two lanes.

Tons of out of state plates and people just stacked up. I shouldn't be able to hear your conversation with your buddy (in polish I believe) from inside my shack.

End rant

"Local"

Saratoga County bay is one of the more over looked spots on lake george........

I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11318 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:54 PM »

End rant
Not surprised......just a matter of time until nobody can fish there! Beautiful little spot to fish. But it’s gotten out of control. I remember two years ago parking was so jammed up that they parked on the ice out from the beach. Punched a hole or two to check depth next to their cars then went fishing and came back to find their vehicles went through the ice....I was there that day. Crazy....

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11319 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Not surprised......just a matter of time until nobody can fish there! Beautiful little spot to fish. But it’s gotten out of control. I remember two years ago parking was so jammed up that they parked on the ice out from the beach. Punched a hole or two to check depth next to their cars then went fishing and came back to find their vehicles went through the ice....I was there that day. Crazy....

I remember that. I was out that day too. Had a nice little day. I laughed my butt off when I came in. Serves people right for pulling trucks and cars out on the ice there. I was there today for a few hours and I got irritated and bailed. It wouldn't surprise me if people got towed today. I could barely get my truck through. God forbid they have an emergency. No way in hell they would be able to get anyone equipment near the beach.
Rob

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #11320 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Lakers and pike were biting today ;D :tipup:
Master Laker taker.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11321 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:17 PM »

End rant

Reason I stopped guiding on Ontario tribs in 2009 and now why I don't bother fishing lake George.

It's all fun but been there,  done that.
Young guns can have their hey day now

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11322 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:18 PM »

I remember that. I was out that day too. Had a nice little day. I laughed my butt off when I came in. Serves people right for pulling trucks and cars out on the ice there. I was there today for a few hours and I got irritated and bailed. It wouldn't surprise me if people got towed today. I could barely get my truck through. God forbid they have an emergency. No way in hell they would be able to get anyone equipment near the beach.
Ridiculous! Hope you had a decent day regardless. I’m sure the people who live on that road have had enough. If the fisherman would basically practice first come first serve and if it’s full just move on, then it’d never come to that.  But, that’ll never happen. Not today anyway....

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11323 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Thank god the ice isn’t good enough to park on it this year 2018 those trucks went thru it’ll be a common occurrence

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11324 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:21 PM »
Thank god the ice isn’t good enough to park on it this year 2018 those trucks went thru it’ll be a common occurrence

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #11325 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:29 PM »

I just wish local people could have some places to go that wasn't so jammed up. I agree. But there are a lot of other spots on the King to fish. We were the only ones in a bay fishing today at the south basin of the lake. The lakers were hitting all morning. At 32 miles long, the King has a lot of room/lake to fish.

End rant
Master Laker taker.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11326 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:47 PM »

I was there that day too.  We were one of the first cars on the ice only because we had a trailer.  When we got back there was 10 rows of car on the ice and 2 trucks went down....  Crazy.  Someone should create a parking lot and charge.  Would make a killing! $$$$$

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11327 on: Feb 21, 2021, 04:13 AM »

That’s the day hardwater came back in early that day too and told my buddy on way out this isn’t smart sure enough come back two trucks took the dip

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11328 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:42 AM »

People have parked on the ice for years there... usually no problem until some idiot decides to punch holes in the ice next to the cars... and then  they are surprised when the water comes up through...

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11329 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:59 AM »
People have parked on the ice for years there... usually no problem until some idiot decides to punch holes in the ice next to the cars... and then  they are surprised when the water comes up through...

The issue that year I believe was that one car was left running, next to test holes. I believe they had issues finding the owner to turn it off

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11330 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:05 AM »
The issue that year I believe was that one car was left running, next to test holes. I believe they had issues finding the owner to turn it off
That’s how I remember it as well. ;)

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11331 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:40 AM »
I was there that day too.  We were one of the first cars on the ice only because we had a trailer.  When we got back there was 10 rows of car on the ice and 2 trucks went down....  Crazy.  Someone should create a parking lot and charge.  Would make a killing! $$$$$
Yeah the YMCA Camp Chingachgook could charge $10 bucks a car it is a short walk to the beach.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11332 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Yeah the YMCA Camp Chingachgook could charge $10 bucks a car it is a short walk to the beach.

Don’t give em any ideas!

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11333 on: Feb 21, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Hoping to come up next weekend, any chance you can run machines from Hearthstone to Diamond Island? Thanks for any info

Offline striperhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11334 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:35 PM »
I'm surprised more marina's don't clear parking and charge for winter access to lake places on chaumont do and make good cash flow in the off season.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #11335 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:37 PM »
I'm surprised more marina's don't clear parking and charge for winter access to lake places on chaumont do and make good cash flow in the off season.

My theory is the people up there don't want ice fisherman on "their lake" . 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11336 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Most marinas have several ice eaters around all the docks. Would be no access anyways

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11337 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Most marinas have several ice eaters around all the docks. Would be no access anyways

Yup. Easier to pay the electric bill for the bubblers in the winter than pull out the docks each fall only to have to put them in again in the spring

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11338 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:40 PM »
My theory is the people up there don't want ice fisherman on "their lake" .

we have a finite amount of public access and a surplus of folks trying to get on that lake. who can fault the taxpaying landowners on lake george for not wanting to deal with the circus that ice fishing has become on that lake?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11339 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:42 PM »

I'm surprised anyone would think that someone who owns and operates a large marina on lg needs some extra walking around cash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.