The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Columbia Falls area  (Read 664 times)

Offline FinalSwim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Columbia Falls area
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Headed up to Columbia Falls to visit the in-laws at the end of the month first winter up there and hoping to get some fishing in! Any and all waterbodies will be new to me, looking for a little guidance from the fellas in the NW part of the state on a good place to target lakers or bass.

Thanks in advance

Offline IceDuck406

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Columbia Falls area
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:52 PM »
 Whitefish Lake is my go-to for Lakers. 40-60' with large jigs or bait. Focus on the bays as the ice level is variable out in the main lake. Echo lake near Bigfork has nice bass. Try Google earth to find breaks and humps and start there. Both places are only a short drive from C-Falls. Let us know how it goes!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:54 PM »
If I were you, I'd head to Echo if bass is what you're interested in.  Other options to consider would be Lake Five (supposed to have largemouth and smallmouth but can't personally verify) Lake Blaine, Blanchard Lake, or Murphy Lake up near Eureka.  You could also try the sloughs on the Flathead.

Whitefish Lake (ice permitting) would be your closest option for lakers, but you could also hit the bays on the Flathead and Mcgregor Lake (again ice permitting).

Offline FinalSwim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Five would be a very close option I was reading the thread over the last couple years and it looks like most folks run into smaller perch and salmon. will be happy to share info after its all said and done!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:36 PM »
No problem at all.  Echo is a lot of fun...a true smorgasborg of species, both warm and coldwater.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.