The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for ice  (Read 6506 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Re: Looking for ice
« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2024, 12:10 PM »
Got a text from a friend around noon. He was heading to Uniondale, drove past Stillwater, said there was a ton of people on the ice. But he didn't know the conditions, just driving by.

Did you know the conditions at Belmont Lake? My son said they are draining it next year and there is unlimited catch. They don't always plow the road and there is a lot of runoff.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 21, 2024, 03:21 PM »
Ya, I heard the same thing about draining it. Also heard they dropped it a couple feet already. Fished it about 4 years ago, If I remember, did pretty decent, my buddy got a really nice smallmouth that day. Went back the following year after about 2 inches of snow overnight. Guys were on the pond. So I figure I'll head down the launch. Wasn't thinking about there were no other tire tracks going down there. Started slowing down but really didn't, there was ice under the snow. Thought I was going to make it on to the lake. Finally got stopped. Tried getting out but no way on ice. I was finally able to get in touch with someone to pull me up the ramp about 2 hours later. Yes there is runoff there, so be careful. It was my fault I didn't pay attention or know the conditions at the launch. Really big learning experience there. Good Luck, Be safe. Keep us informed how you make out.

Offline challmd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 24, 2024, 09:09 AM »

A reliable  source  told me there is about 7 inches of ice on Belmont. He and and another buddie of mine got  three "gills and one perch between theme
Jps854*$!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 26, 2024, 03:18 PM »
Well, made it back to R.I. this afternoon. Finished a 4 day trip back in NE.PA. Started at Alden Thursday, 2 small bluegills and a 20 inch pickerel, on 4 inches of pretty good ice, also found out that was the last day for the lake to be open. Friday went to Fiddle lake good 6 inches, a ton of perch between me and my brother, all kind of small. Saturday went to Belmont a ton of fishermen, met some really good guys and gals. Pretty slow, a couple of perch on tip ups and a couple gills jigging. Sunday hit Prompton. A guy was going on by the boat launch, he checked had 3 inches, said there was a truck by the Old Hawthorn Trail, guys went over the hill. I went to the dam, 2 guys there. A bunch of hit and runs on the tip ups, a couple perch and a bunch of different size panfish.  Called a season. I guess I'll say it was great that I stood on the water but it was fantastic that I caught fish when ever I was out. Figure it was a total of 3 trips , 11 days. Hope for better conditions next year. Good luck to everyone might get another week in back there. Be safe and don't fill your boots.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 28, 2024, 03:46 AM »
Just heard a rumor that 2 people went thru Prompton yesterday, any confirmation on that? If its true I hope they are ok.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 28, 2024, 04:32 AM »
Yep! What were they thinking? 🤨 Still on the ice at 6pm................... it was 52* when I got home yesterday at 5pm.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #66 on: Feb 28, 2024, 09:42 AM »
no little panfish or pickerel are worth falling thru.  Came back from NY on Monday and put all gear away last night.  Hoping for December next ice trip.  Nez

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2024, 09:03 PM »
 Reports of a recovery mission going on now at Duck Harbor  :'( :'( :'(

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 28, 2024, 11:52 PM »
Heard they recovered a body...............VER Y SAD! 😩😩😩🙏🙏🙏
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:10 AM »
So sad, my dad was on there monday ,that afternoon i told him get off of there ,lol only 4 inches and water on top. mid 50's.
Yesterday ugh couldnt have been very good.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 29, 2024, 10:07 AM »
There are conflicting reports now but the latest is they are still looking for him. Truck is parked, gear on the ice and a dog wandering around................ so sad! 😩

But I can’t find anything in the news about it. 🤔
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 29, 2024, 10:44 AM »
There are conflicting reports now but the latest is they are still looking for him. Truck is parked, gear on the ice and a dog wandering around................ so sad! 😩

Same here. A guy who claimed to have first hand knowledge was talking a lot yesterday. Claims his brother was a trooper on scene, and knew the missing person. Then said they couldnt find a hole where he went thru. ??? Then later said they recovered a body. The whole thing is a crapshow. I hope this isnt just some bullcrap story going around. There was also a report that locals called about this on Tuesday saying there was gear on the ice but nobody around.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 29, 2024, 04:41 PM »
Man. I hope this is just a BS story. Haven't heard anything from my contacts back there. Hope its not true.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 29, 2024, 06:37 PM »

I checked the local news sources and haven’t seen anything, either.  I can’t imagine this wouldn’t be big news in NEPA.  I hope is a myth or a rescue.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 29, 2024, 06:37 PM »
Man. I hope this is just a BS story. Haven't heard anything from my contacts back there. Hope its not true.

Wish it wasn’t but I’m afraid it is................a buddy(reliable source) has a relative in the Waymart Fire Department who told him ”my fire captain says he is still missing as of 10am this morning.”
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 01, 2024, 07:45 AM »
It's all just noise until it becomes an official news report, and three days in, there is no official news report about a search and rescue mission going on at DH.   

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Mar 01, 2024, 08:43 AM »
Yes, VERY strange............... ..🤨🤔
Where's the FISH?!

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2024, 01:00 PM »
I take it the guys alright if there wasn’t any report on the news?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 06, 2024, 11:07 AM »
Sadly, the body was found! 😩. At least his family will have closure now........

https://www.pahomepage.com/news/body-of-missing-ice-fisher-found-in-wayne-county/

Prayers to the family and friends! 🙏
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Mar 06, 2024, 11:33 AM »
So sad, didnt hear anything was hoping just a hoax or man lost.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2024, 02:41 PM »
Heard rumors about it a week ago, hoping it was only rumors. Like guys, said there were no news reports. A friend sent me the info today.  Tough news, sad.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 07, 2024, 06:12 AM »
Sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #82 on: Mar 07, 2024, 06:26 AM »
That’s a shame prayers go out to his family god bless.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.