The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Grubs in perch  (Read 2398 times)

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Grubs in perch
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Whats your opinion? Eat em or not?
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline sdredhead

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Grubs in perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Everything is good when fried!
My wife can't be mad, it's her uncle that got me hooked!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:59 PM »
I just hold the filets to the light and pick out what I can. Same with Cod when I go deep sea fishing. Cod can be way worse than perch and their grubs are more like 4 inch coiled worms.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I wouldn't eat them.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:15 PM »
I don't mind eating a couple.  I do my best to cut them out.

If I notice a perch is obviously wormy when I catch it, I throw it back.

Once or twice I've found them so wormy when I was cleaning them, that I ended up throwing them out.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I cut them out when filleting. Though they are harmless if cooked well done. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:06 AM »
I try to avoid them.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:06 AM »
I don't mind eating a couple.  I do my best to cut them out.

If I notice a perch is obviously wormy when I catch it, I throw it back.

Once or twice I've found them so wormy when I was cleaning them, that I ended up throwing them out.

DITTO!  :)

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:15 PM »
White ones get cut out or the filets get thrown away if there are too many.  I can't stand the thought of eating those little buggers.  Black dots get eaten all the time, even though those are some sort of parasite as well.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:32 PM »
I filleted 4 perch all caught in the same spot & only 1 had grubs. Anyone know how they get them?

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I filleted 4 perch all caught in the same spot & only 1 had grubs. Anyone know how they get them?
I just looked it up and it's actually a very interesting process! It all starts when a fish eating bird (heron or bittern) eats a fish that has these so-called "yellow grubs" in it. The grubs, which, at this point in their life cycle, are in their adult stage, will then lay eggs in the throat of their host bird. These eggs then mature and the next time the bird dips its bill/beak into the water, some of these tiny eggs are deposited and hatch into a tiny larvae. When in their first Larval stage, these organisms must find a snail of a specific genus to take up as their host. Inside the snail, the tiny parasites multiply up to 1000 fold! Once mature inside the snail, the parasite eventually strikes out in search of a fish host. During these transitions from one intermediate host to another (ex. bird-snail and snail-fish) the larvae only have a few hours before they run out of energy and die! If one does find a fish, and apparently there are no known fish with an immunity to this particular parasite, then it will burrow into the fish's skin where it will grow until eventually, the fish is eaten by a predatory bird. Thus, causing the life cycle of the Yellow Grub to repeat.  A little nasty? Yes. But really fascinating (at least to a teenage boy)!!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Fishing shallower ponds this year, ice fishermen will be finding a lot of them.

Randy

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:02 PM »
I just looked it up and it's actually a very interesting process! It all starts when a fish eating bird (heron or bittern) eats a fish that has these so-called "yellow grubs" in it. The grubs, which, at this point in their life cycle, are in their adult stage, will then lay eggs in the throat of their host bird. These eggs then mature and the next time the bird dips its bill/beak into the water, some of these tiny eggs are deposited and hatch into a tiny larvae. When in their first Larval stage, these organisms must find a snail of a specific genus to take up as their host. Inside the snail, the tiny parasites multiply up to 1000 fold! Once mature inside the snail, the parasite eventually strikes out in search of a fish host. During these transitions from one intermediate host to another (ex. bird-snail and snail-fish) the larvae only have a few hours before they run out of energy and die! If one does find a fish, and apparently there are no known fish with an immunity to this particular parasite, then it will burrow into the fish's skin where it will grow until eventually, the fish is eaten by a predatory bird. Thus, causing the life cycle of the Yellow Grub to repeat.  A little nasty? Yes. But really fascinating (at least to a teenage boy)!!
Thanks for the info.Very intreesting

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:10 PM »
I wonder if I have any in my throat waiting for me to dip my mouth in the water?  Just kidding. But this is why I do not do sushi.

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:36 PM »
I find that champlain perch/sunfish are pretty clean for the most part in broadlake and the most disgusting fish ive filleted came out of colchester pond. looks like someone spilled oatmeal all over the fillets. haha gross

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Yeah, freshwater sushi is always a bad idea. They say you should freeze pike before pickling them to kill off the tapeworms because even the pickling process doesn't kill them.

By law sushi grade tuna must be frozen for a certain amount of time before it can be consumed raw because of parasites.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:46 PM »

Fascinating to a grown man, too.   Wow, I knew there was a multi-host life cycle, but I didn't realize that they actually layed their eggs in the bird's throat!

The black spots have a similar life cycle, I believe.

This is one more fact that makes me thankful to live here in Vermont where there aren't really any harmful organisms.  Studying biology in college, I learned that there are organisms very much like these in other parts of the world (the tropics) that can infect humans, and do great harm.

Yeah, I tend to overcook my perch to be sure.  Actually, I tend to eat crappies instead  ;D  Once I caught a sorry-looking crappie that had one grub.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:21 PM »
I took some of that sushi home and had it breaded and fried. It was good- tasted like fish.  ;D

Randy

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Colchester Pond and Arrowhead Mountain Lake are where I've seen the most disgusting fish.  Wish I never killed those fish to find out they were LOADED with worms.   Colchester Pond was a very nice smallmouth that Perch Bait caught when he was probably 5yo and Arrowhead was a stringer of huge perch that Perch Bait, Mrs Crayfish and I caught.  Had to throw them all away as there was no picking all those worms out! 

We very rarely see worms in pumpkinseeds or bluegills, though, and they typically live in even shallower water than perch.  Not sure why that is.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Colchester Pond and Arrowhead Mountain Lake are where I've seen the most disgusting fish.

Oh man those Arrowhead perch are nasty!  Which is too bad, because the place is full of big ones!  Everytime I've tried trolling to find the crappie in there, I can't keep the perch off my jig-- which makes it impossible to find the crappie. :P

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Informative info. JMailbox8. The lifecycle of the grub. Very interesting. Herons be the mommy.
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I wonder if I have any in my throat waiting for me to dip my mouth in the water?  Just kidding. But this is why I do not do sushi.

??? ::)Sushi is made with rice and sea weed and doesn't necessarily require raw fish??  I love yellow perch fillets and I have no problem with a few grubs if they are to be deep fried in my favorite Butter Flavored Crisco??
Dick

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:38 AM »
Look in their throats when you catch them, really bad grubbed fish will have them there, also look near their tails for the exit holes from the adult grubs. IF it makes you feel any better remember 5% of hamburger can be bug protein..........;-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.