Author Topic: Winni Derby Mishaps  (Read 2711 times)

Offline cusker

• IceShanty Rookie
Winni Derby Mishaps
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:42 PM »
       Well, another Winni derby is in the past.  Once again, it was a cluster of unfortunate mishaps.  I truly believe it just wouldn't be the same if all went well,,,just once.  I've been attending the infamous derby for about 20 years now, and have had more than my share of bad luck.  I'll share a story with you.  Please feel free to write about your own derby woes.  It would be nice to know I'm not the only one. 

Last year 2006 had to be the worst.  Friday a windstorm came in that topped anything I've ever seen.  Kind of comical at first.  I was fishing out of Leavitt Park watching all sorts of items blow away from people.  Than it started getting worse.  My tip ups wouldn't stay in the holes.  A bobhouse nearby caught on fire and burned to death, my jet sled flipped over WITH my gear (auger etc.) inside and blew to kingdom come (never did get it).  I saw a guy drive after a bobhouse that was blowing off to OZ and when he passed it, he let it slam into his vehicle.  It stopped and out of the bobhouse walked his son.  Unbelievable!
Bobhouses started flipping over like dominoes.  Our bobhouse stood firm like a rock, and began to sink like one.  We cut the anchor lines and while trying to pull it (POLARIS 6 WHEELER) to thicker ice, got blown backwards to thinner ice!  Drilled a couple holes, anchored it, and left it for dead.  By the grace of God it got bitter cold overnight and we were able to retrieve it the next day.  Saturday was typical for me, NO TROUT.  Sunday I tucked my tail between my legs and went to Salmon Meadow in Moultonboro to catch yellow perch (small ones), LAME.

Things may be improving for me.  I caught a nice 20 inch rainbow this year on Sunday (Long Island). Didn't weigh it, but guesstimated it at about 2 lbs.  Took a pic and let it go.  Saw the results and realize I probably could have collected $100.00 bucks.  Oh well.  What's one more derby tragedy?

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Winni Derby Mishaps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:24 AM »
Did not make it this year and boy was i disappointed. Some of us couldnt make this year but the rest of the gang still made it and finally I think its been 12 or 13 years for us and my buddy took 4th place with a tagged rainbow.He could have made an extra 500 bucks and checked it in right away./He caught it early Sat. morning and nothing had been checked in yet but thats how it goes.I dont know if i would have wanted to pick up and head to the board either not knowing if anything had been boarded yet but still took 150 bucks.Was in 3rd up until some time sunday afternoon what a killer./ But still not bad after 13 or so years fishing the derby.WONT MISS THE DERBY NEXT YEAR.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:50 AM »
do any of you have a copy of the Fosters paper with the picture of the guy holding up a cusk he told the reporter it was a one eyed trouser trout and thats what the reporter called it in the paper we need a copy for the Maine page
in god we trust

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 AM »
do any of you have a copy of the Fosters paper with the picture of the guy holding up a cusk he told the reporter it was a one eyed trouser trout and thats what the reporter called it in the paper we need a copy for the Maine page

LMAO--Iwould love to see that article!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:28 AM »

I loved it!!!!! :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bow: :bow: :clap:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:01 PM »
LMAO--Iwould love to see that article!!!
one of the guys i fish with thinks he still has the paper if he does youll get to see it ;D
in god we trust

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:03 PM »
one of the guys i fish with thinks he still has the paper if he does youll get to see it ;D
I've got a copy coming in the mail hardwatergrampa, in case he doesn't.... ;)

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:29 AM »
I've got a copy coming in the mail hardwatergrampa, in case he doesn't.... ;)
he said that the only thing that caught his attention was that a cusk was caught that set a new state record for NH he thinks the paper is still on his desk if it is he is gonna look for the article
in god we trust

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:32 PM »
the picture and story are posted on the maine site page 1 under   new trout strain  page 4 its there i dont know how to cut and copy a post so unless someone here can do it youll have to go there to see it sorry
in god we trust

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:20 AM »

follow the link for some hilarious comments.....http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=51248.0

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Okay, I have to ask, what the heck is a bobhouse!?
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Okay, I have to ask, what the heck is a bobhouse!?
  LOL.....that's what the guys in new hampshire call an iceshanty... ;D

they call wardens on the ice "fish cops".... :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.