Author Topic: Working in Frisco next week need some pointers on a good reservoir nearby  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Cshady143

• IceShanty Rookie
I am going to work in Frisco next week and would love to find a big reservoir nearby for a chance to catch some giant fish I have only ice fished by where I live basically eleven mile reservoir and I've caught some monster fish. I'm looking for a place where I have the potential of catching some giant fish. At eleven mile I fish at a depth of 4.5 fow to catch these hogs I will take any pointers or advice I don't care what species I just love catching big fish. I would like to know what lb test, bait, depth, areas, and mostly what reservoir is nearby that I can hit up for some beast fish.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
If I knew where/how to catch monster fish on a regular basis, I sure wouldn't be posting it up on here.   ;D
Try Dillon.  There's some big browns in there...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
So, Folsom Dam near San Fran just won't do.    :woot: :roflmao:

Oops, sorry.   ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
So, Folsom Dam near San Fran just won't do.    :woot: :roflmao:

Oops, sorry.   ;)2
You nut case!

You can catch Artic Char out of Dillon and there is Turquoise Lake. There are Lakers in it.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
You nut case!

You can catch Artic Char out of Dillon and there is Turquoise Lake. There are Lakers in it.

Sorry Lefty, I think it's Spring fever.     :cookoo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Cshady143

• IceShanty Rookie
Arctic char. Not familiar with these fish what do you use and what depth? Lakers in turquoise lake? Does this lake hold big lakers? Bait and depth again I don't know. I'm used to 4.5 fow catching big cutthroat, cuttbow, and rainbows at elevenmile res.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Deep water for both. 60-100 FOW. Big tube jigs and a piece of Sucker or Shrimp.
<===Lefty===

Offline Cshady143

• IceShanty Rookie
Line? Do go big or light with it?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I don't target Lakers but if I did I wouldn't go anything less that 10 LB test.
<===Lefty===

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dillon would be close or go try green mtn I was there this past weekend I caught many lake trout

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There's some biggish Northern Pike to be had in this State if you're just looking for size. Stagecoach and Williams Fork come to mind up in that area of the mountains and there's still some good ones back at the Mile though they seem shy this year. Lots of different ways to catch them though that shallow water thing you've been doing for trout works for Northerns too. Run back through the Archive posts on pike to learn some techniques.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Around Frisco all you are gonna catch is a big cold.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Cshady143

• IceShanty Rookie
If I knew where/how to catch monster fish on a regular basis, I sure wouldn't be posting it up on here.   ;D
Try Dillon.  There's some big browns in there...

I have caught 2 browns my whole life and both river fishing with rooster tails. Through the ice at dillon what kind of jig and bait would entice a brown? I plan to set one pole up for lakers/ char and another for browns(I hope) and are the Browns at a different depth that the Lakers and char? Like I said new to ice fishing first season this year I'm trying to learn and fishing at the mile all my luck has been in 4 fow the last month and at the beginning of the season it was 13-15 fow with no browns caught all cuttbow and rainbow.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Browns are around Rocky area's. Right on Bottom mostly. But I have caught them in 60 FOW.
<===Lefty===

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
From Bernie Keefe:
"Dillon reservoir is producing some nice browns and catchable rainbows near the shorelines, Char are being caught in 20-50 feet of water."

I'd try near shore in shallows, using standard trout gear.  Easy access at the marina.  Small tubes, ratsos, small tungsten, tipped with waxies.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Fisherguyd

• IceShanty Rookie
Its been a long time since I fished Dillon, but I don't believe there are any lakers in it, but I would try Green Mountain Res. about 45 mins. North of there I know there are lakers in it.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Cshady143

• IceShanty Rookie
Well basically I'm looking for a place that holds some big fish I know there isnt a guarantee I will hook up a big fish but I want to know I'm not fishing in a lake full of stockers. I'm being told by friends that most of the fish in dillon are stockers is that true? I just don't want to waste my time going setting up and catching 12"-14" fish all day. I was in the cabelas March madness tournament at eleven mile reservoir and iced 29 trout that were 10"-16" all day long couldn't catch a fish to weigh in didn't see a fish that would weigh in 3 different locations. I want to have a good time fishing in the evening with the potential to catch some giant fish is all somewhere near frisco, co. Thank you all for your help I do appreciate it very much as I am clueless with these big reservoirs that are 100ft+ deep and different species of fish. Anymore advice before I head up on the 16th would be awesome.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.