Author Topic: Evergreen Slimer Slam and Surprise  (Read 981 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Evergreen Slimer Slam and Surprise
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:24 PM »
I haven't posted in a while because the start of my ice season has been largely unremarkable.  A couple of trips to South Park haven't produced anything noteworthy, and my pursuit of a trophy ice LMB has been in vain, with many of my front range locations destroyed by the floods.  But yesterday, I went after something else...family time!

The smiles on their faces were all the reward I needed -- no trophy trout, but it was contact action from 9:30am - 12:30 pm when we called it quits.  We landed 25 slimers total, and just as I was reeling in my line to leave, I got the biggest surprise fish of the day:  the BIGGEST sucker I've ever caught.  Kids got a kick out of seeing it after catching slimers all morning.

All fish were released to grow bigger.  All in all, a very good day -- we caught some memories that will last a lifetime.  Anyone with little ones should get a kick out of the hot action at Evergreen right now.

Learning the flasher:

Tons of smiles!

The big sucker, next to my 26" rod:

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Evergreen Slimer Slam and Surprise
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Looks like fun and a nice day.  I don't mind catching suckers through the ice.  They can get big and fight hard.

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:33 PM »
great pics!...thats a $10 sucker at local shops right now!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Thanks!  They sure had a great time.  Would someone really want to pay $10 for an 18" inch sucker?  To catch sharks?  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:46 AM »
Thanks!  They sure had a great time.  Would someone really want to pay $10 for an 18" inch sucker?  To catch sharks?  ;)
I caught an 18" sucker and had it at the Blue Mesa with me. Two guy's were using sucker meat trying to catch Lake trout. I was talking to them and told them about the sucker I caught. They told me the 2 little suckers they had which were 6" long each cost them $6 plus tax. They told me my suck was worth $12 to them. I didn't sell it I used it later that year.
<===Lefty===

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Nice job building family memories, those smiles are literally priceless

My son(only child) is now 18, got his wheels+work+women and lately he is most often too busy to fish  :-( miss those times so enjoy it while you can and interest exists on their part
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline golden rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Nice day out with the fam! That's a nice piece of bait.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Thanks guys -- yeah the sucker could've been kept for bait, but I think the girls enjoyed seeing him swim away better.    ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.