Author Topic: Nils starting problem  (Read 827 times)

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nils starting problem
« on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:44 PM »
My buddy has a nils power auger that has a starting problem. It starts no problem at home but on the ice no go. Now at home 2 things, a lower altitude and a lot warmer. I kinda figure if it was an altitude problem it would at least run like crap at the lake, but no start at all. Does it seem possible that maybe his gas lines are frozen by the time we get to the high altitude lake. At the house the thing starts 2 pulls and runs great. The gas lines are pretty long on those nils according to him. He posted on Fish Explorer for help but never got a single reply last year so the guy just went and bought a new strikemaster lazer mag. Anyhow I got some great help on mine at IS so I told him I'd give it a try.  Any thoughts on this?  Rebelss?

Offline Lip ripr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nils starting problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:17 PM »
What ratio is he running? Mine likes it pretty lean 75:1. And try to find ethanol free gas. Don't know if it will help but worth a shot.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:26 PM »
He's running 50:1, it may have the bad corn squeezin gas in it. I did buy him a can of the trufuel 50:1 but we havent tried that yet since it runs so good at the house.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Bump

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Arkansas, thanks for the link we will check the air filter out. Makes sense for what is happening on the cold starts.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Steve - having same problem with 'Mo i picked up off craigslist - seems to be a vaccuum issue on mine
I've had to open the gas cap a 1/4 turn, hit primer bulb 3x times, then choke, pull start w/care so gas doesn't pour out.  Reseal cap and good to go.

I had replaced the fuel line, filter, and the fuel line gasket at the tank, which has a FAR tighter seal than my older 'Mo has. Just opening the micro-valve @ top of gas cap was not enough to release the vaccuum.  At 2K' lower altitude, it starts right up w/o any other actions required

BTW, good to meet you a few weeks ago out @ the mile (that day we were out @ suckers cove and you came out later that morning)

hope this helps
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Good to meat you also man.  We will give the extra venting a try. Cheap fix if it works. Thanks.  Oh and the bites still been tough up there at the Mile.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Oh and the bites still been tough up there at the Mile.

right?!  I've got 2x weeks more vacation time to burn and will begin working through the topo for structure, flow, and depth variances.  LOL, by then they will probably move!   Too new to the mile to be aware of any known annual patterns (others have made vague references about Dec, Jan, Feb, March (go shallow, deep, shallow, and follow the oxygen flow)

if you want to connect out there send me a PM
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.