Author Topic: ESKIMO QUICKFISH 6 REVIEW  (Read 32952 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ESKIMO QUICKFISH 6 REVIEW
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Thats great you cant have enough room. imo.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:37 AM »
Have you tried to set it up by yourself?  I have a quick fish 3 and for some reason it is a bear to set up, if it weren't for that I would love it.  :tipup:
I have the same. Love it. I dont find it hard to set up. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending how many ice screws I need that day. Did 35 mph winds and she did great.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:30 AM »
I have the same. Love it. I dont find it hard to set up. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending how many ice screws I need that day. Did 35 mph winds and she did great.

Yea I figured out that if you screw in two of the corners first before poping out any sides, that works great when your by yourself in the wind.   I also shovel snow around the overlap to prevent wind from getting under the shelter.
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I believe the Quickfish series all rely on the graphite rods and hub system. A graphite rod on the roof of my Quickfish 3 has broken at the metal end where it connects to the central hub. I have looked on the manufacturers site and they do not indicate that they sell replacements for just the graphite rods. Has anyone successfully purchased these from Ardisam, the manufacturer? 

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I believe the Quickfish series all rely on the graphite rods and hub system. A graphite rod on the roof of my Quickfish 3 has broken at the metal end where it connects to the central hub. I have looked on the manufacturers site and they do not indicate that they sell replacements for just the graphite rods. Has anyone successfully purchased these from Ardisam, the manufacturer? 
There is another tread "ESKIMO QUICKFISH 2 REPAIRS" posted on FEB 17th in here that some guys were talking about a broken QuickFish 2, I believe they mentioned a few places to get the rods.
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:03 AM »
There is another tread "ESKIMO QUICKFISH 2 REPAIRS" posted on FEB 17th in here that some guys were talking about a broken QuickFish 2, I believe they mentioned a few places to get the rods.
Thanks. I'm there.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:28 AM »
Checked that post and voila! You order the rods from Ardisam by phone. Approx. $10 for one rod, $40 for the hub and four rods. I ordered, they are on their way. Thanks.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:31 AM »
Checked that post and voila! You order the rods from Ardisam by phone. Approx. $10 for one rod, $40 for the hub and four rods. I ordered, they are on their way. Thanks.
No problem, hope the fix goes well...

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:17 PM »
For all Eskimo Quickfish 6 owners:  have you experienced any negative issues with the lack of a floor while using heaters inside??

I'm a happy co-owner of a Clam 5600, but let's be honest, it's a biotch to pull in any type of snow.  A 38# shelter is catching our attention to say the least. 

Thanks for any input...

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #39 on: Nov 20, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Having a floor is nice but to your point, they can be a beast to get on the ice unless you have some sort of a sled that you have built.  For most guys, the more effort it takes to get on and off the ice, the less you will fish and the less you will move when you fish.  Suitcase shelters can be great in the right situation, but they have some big trade-offs.  Personally, I am fine going with no floor to have a shelter that I can throw on my back, that I don't need a full size truck to haul, that I don't have to drag and that doesn't break my back to load in and out of the vehicle. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Let me see what I can do I have some pretty good pictures that show the space on the inside.  Like I said before the quick fish 6 is exactly two QF 3's sewn together.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2008, 05:05 AM »
Throw tarp on the floor, she'll stay warmer.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #42 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  We ended up picking one up; now CT just needs more safe ice.

Throw tarp on the floor, she'll stay warmer.

Do you pre-cut the tarp to match the specs of the shelter?  Do you add holes to the tarp, etc?  Also, how do your spikes hold up on tarp?  I would think it would tear up with multiple dudes wearing cleats in there.

Offline DaWaitaz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAAAAG!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 25, 2008, 11:33 AM »
I have a QF6...never used it..bought it to take to the UP this year..can't wait.  Gonna fish three guys in it and as far as frozen toes goes it shouldn't be any different than fishing in a voyager fish trap flip over sled type of thing....you can keep it warm enough to keep the chill off of the feet.....I read on another post that a guy can find those rubber playroom floor pads...yknow the ones that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.....they are about an inch thick...cheap and light...shove a few of those in the tent when you fold it up and you can toss those onto the ice and rest your feet on those sounds like a good idea....good boots help...I splurged after suffering years of cold feet and bought the Sorrel glacier pack boots...best I've ever owned and if your feet get cold in those then you really don't have much other choice....cut your feet off.

The QF6 as far as setting it up and quality of construction gets an A+ from me. Can't complain about the size. The only thing I would add if I could would be window or two on the ceiling...with the velcro covers.....Occasionall y I like natural over head lighting during the day turn off the lanterns conserve gas.  oh....and a wet bar with hot munchies would be nice.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #44 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:37 PM »
I second the wet bar :o

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  We ended up picking one up; now CT just needs more safe ice.

Do you pre-cut the tarp to match the specs of the shelter?  Do you add holes to the tarp, etc?  Also, how do your spikes hold up on tarp?  I would think it would tear up with multiple dudes wearing cleats in there.

Pre-cut the tarp with a couple inches extra. The cleats chew it right up. Its also slippery as snot. I replace it as necessary. But its light, cheap and heats the shanty up nice. I've heard of using the that astro turf outdoor stuff. That would take care of slippery and cleat holes. But, I avoid weight. The difference in heat retention is drastic when you put something on the ice.     

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:50 PM »
I think I'm going to buy some outdoor carpet and precut some holes.   I think the tarp would be too slippery and the heater would melt rite through it.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2008, 01:57 PM »
I got some of those interlocking squares of floor pad material like you would use in a garage or in front of a workbench or something...only tried it once but it seems to work pretty well - good insulation on the feet and the gear wasn't in the slush

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I got some of those interlocking squares of floor pad material like you would use in a garage or in front of a workbench or something...only tried it once but it seems to work pretty well - good insulation on the feet and the gear wasn't in the slush

Are you talking about the 2x2ft ones?   Did you have to put them together everytime.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:47 PM »
yeah I guess they are about that size and look like this and they are not the type with the holes all over...just a solid square with the puzzle piece edges so you can put them together.

Carpet -
  • probably easier to roll out
  • cover more surface area if you cut a 12" circle out for the holes
  • probably won't have much slush or water coming through the middle of the carpet where you could at seams of the pad if it was deep enough!

• Pads -
  • can be rearranged to adapt to different hole configurations
  • maybe easier cleanup since you can just wipe it down?
  • maybe hold less moisture and be less soggy at the end of the day?
  • probably better insulation under your feet

• Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • LIFE=FISHING
    « Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:31 PM »
    Yea I just cant decide.   Usually it's not to slushy where we fish,  I like the idea of being able to just roll up the carpet but it might be a little bulky.  I like how light those pads are, but if your fishing on top of 4-10 inches of snow do they seperate from eachother when you walk on them?

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:36 PM »
    yeah I never thought of that - I will probably have to shovel if it isn't hard packed

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • LIFE=FISHING
    « Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:14 PM »
    I could probably go with just some good old astro turf, sprayed with some wax on the bottom.  That should wrap up into a pretty small package.

Offline fishbum

• IceShanty Rookie
    • hold my beer while I try somthing
    « Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:36 PM »
    We got a quickfish 6 and broke one of our hubs too and all the windows during that cold snap we call and there going to send us new ones free don't buy it just call and talk to costumer service
    Black Ice Syndicate.

Offline Slickfish

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:01 PM »
    I love my Quickfish 6! First time ever i set it up in my driveway at -30 degrees. Package said 60 second set up so after a few beers my buddy decided to time me. I was in a t-shirt and it took exactly 60 seconds......and not much longer to put away in the bag. That was by myself. We broke every window that weekend so i took it back to Sportsmans in the Valley and they apparently had alot back for that issue. These have a 1year warranty and Eskimo is sending replacements to Sportsmans in the valley, so just bring your broken ones in there and get new ones...thats what i did.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
    • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
    « Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:06 PM »
     ;)
    FISH:)mmm good

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:32 PM »
    I've still never seen one here in Fairbanks...don't know why. (If I could afford one I'd be more concerned!!)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • MMMM Fish!
    « Reply #57 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:51 AM »
    Jeremy, SW would send one up if you want from the Valley/Anch. store if you wanted...  I think they charged a shipping fee, but I could be wrong....  Nice shack, but it's a little to big for me and the youngens'.
    TEAM ALASKA

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • theCTyankee.com
    « Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2009, 12:15 PM »

For those of you who wanted to see the QF6 in action.  We are very happy with the shelter so far.  She sets up and breaks down easy, locks down properly in windy conditions, & fits four fishing comfortably with toys...

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2009, 12:50 PM »
    hey there we go! Thanks  ;D

post an interior shot or two if you don't mind - that thing looks great, wish I had the spare cash...maybe next year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.