New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread  (Read 102101 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread
« Reply #810 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Probably not the worst thing, not exactly like guys are killing crappies out there this year. Seems like last year they were practically begging for people to turn one in every 15 minutes

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #811 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Crappies don't have a chance with the thousands of juvenile walleye in that lake

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #812 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Crappies don't have a chance with the thousands of juvenile walleye in that lake

Yeah that and the lack of weed beds and baitfish

Offline rca75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #813 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Why don’t they throw brush piles into the lake to make cover for the fish?

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #814 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:24 PM »
The question is who would "they" be? The DEC. That is probably not going to happen. I suppose you could do it yourself but that would probably be frowned upon. This is why.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #815 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I've been told that several years ago there were several brush piles put into the lake. I think it was the sportmans club that did it. I remember not that long ago seeing piles of cinder blocks being put on the ice waiting for the ice to melt. There is also a big area that has stumps in it where they cut trees down when they built the reservoir.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #816 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:45 AM »
There are far more weeds now than there ever was since they are keeping the water up but the only variable I can see from the crappie heyday of the 70's and 80's is the walleye population.  It used to be tip down city out there but there were plenty of fish.  Back then walleyes were few and far between and there were more largemouth and a few nice pike.  People didn't have electronics but you could go out anywhere in the channel or the old pond in the evening and put fatheads down and kill the crappies by the light of a lantern until you had all you wanted.  I don't think it can be both an eye and crappie lake and if DEC is serious about bringing back crappies they need to lower the size limit on the eyes to 15" and let people keep 5 for a while to knock them down and see what happens. 

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #817 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:08 AM »
There are far more weeds now than there ever was since they are keeping the water up but the only variable I can see from the crappie heyday of the 70's and 80's is the walleye population.  It used to be tip down city out there but there were plenty of fish.  Back then walleyes were few and far between and there were more largemouth and a few nice pike.  People didn't have electronics but you could go out anywhere in the channel or the old pond in the evening and put fatheads down and kill the crappies by the light of a lantern until you had all you wanted.  I don't think it can be both an eye and crappie lake and if DEC is serious about bringing back crappies they need to lower the size limit on the eyes to 15" and let people keep 5 for a while to knock them down and see what happens.

Sounds like a plan!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #818 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:25 AM »
That's a good plan there. It gets pretty discouraging pulling out all those walleye that are just under the legal limit as it stands now. I'll be happy to help reduce the population if they lower the size limit.  ;D ;D

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #819 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Sounds like a plan!

I don't see why not.  Just like Canadarago when DEC adjusted the size up to 18" and 3 after the alewifes wiped out the natural reproduction on the eyes why can't they go to the standard state general limit at 15" and 5 for a while and see if it helps.  I think more anglers if surveyed would like to see better crappie fishing as that's what the reservoir has been traditionally known for.   There's also that thing called a "Crappie Derby" that's only been going on for a long time and having people catch more crappies again might make it better. 

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #820 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:21 AM »
That and the dude who was busted a few yrs back with buckets of them. Undersized and way more than his limit.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #821 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:42 AM »
The funny thing about this is the Crappie's are still there but the feeding window's are brief. There was a day three weeks ago I could have caught a limit and another limit. Not a single fish was under 12" It was mid day and made no sense. They feed when they want to feed
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #822 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Sometimes I think ppl want that instant gratification and have no patience.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #823 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:31 AM »
The funny thing about this is the Crappie's are still there but the feeding window's are brief. There was a day three weeks ago I could have caught a limit and another limit. Not a single fish was under 12" It was mid day and made no sense. They feed when they want to feed

Sounds like a great day.  Maybe all the crappies in the lake headed to your spot, Mr. Crappie Whisperer :)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #824 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:46 AM »
All I can say is that it was less than 10 feet of water :)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #825 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:00 AM »

Nice there are still a few in there and every once in a while you land on them.  Keeps you coming back. 

Offline Db

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 607 373 0942
« Reply #826 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:55 AM »
As mono said they are there I have had a great time catching crappies there this year most of them 11 to 13 inches I also did great on them in the summer wife and I take 8 to 10 just enough for dinner and throw the rest back

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #827 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:25 PM »

Now I know your spot!  ;D

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #828 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:38 PM »
hahahahah - Narrows it right down huh? BUT, been there twice since with zero crappies. That's fishing

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #829 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Is everyone still planning on hitting WP on Saturday even without the derby?  How's the shore since the water level dropped?

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #830 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:40 PM »
The shorelines are cockeyed from going up and then back down. But solid. No issues

Offline Jcirigliano3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #831 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Thanks mono!  Let's hope the rain on Friday is minimal.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #832 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Fished the Res yesterday with my son home from college.....pretty good bite from 2-5......Fish fry today!!

Offline wardog695

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #833 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Fished the Res yesterday with my son home from college.....pretty good bite from 2-5......Fish fry today!!

So haven't been in town since the beginning of the month, Is there still fishable ice? And best area to access if there is ice?

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #834 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:33 PM »
I was on lake today. I was the  only one on lake as far as I could tell. Must be at least 16" ice in front of the park. Fished most of morning until wind picked up and it started to rain. Was on North end this past Monday so I'd say you can access lake wherever you want.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #835 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Nice there are still a few in there and every once in a while you land on them.  Keeps you coming back.
yes....landed on a  bunch of nice sized, 11-12 inch class whitey's a few days before the derby was scheduled, but could only get a few to bite over several hours... looker after looker...frustrating

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #836 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:44 AM »
yes....landed on a  bunch of nice sized, 11-12 inch class whitey's a few days before the derby was scheduled, but could only get a few to bite over several hours... looker after looker...frustrating

Nice!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #837 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:13 AM »
The 10 day forecast suggests we are in for the best late season ice conditions you could ask for

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #838 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:55 AM »
The 10 day forecast suggests we are in for the best late season ice conditions you could ask for
let's hope the fish are hungry.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #839 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Feed them candy bars al ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.