New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread  (Read 102101 times)

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whitney Point Lake Bs thread
« Reply #720 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:21 AM »
i'm  the  only one that  don't work  ...I go to the  mail  box  for that pension check  once a  month then  catch  a  brady  family rerun I  go  fishing ...and  it's really big of  a  39  year old man  to invite a  near 65 year old  out  for  coffee ..... ;D
now  big guy  didn't  "go threw the  ice"  he  stepped  on a  hole .....(stepping  in a hole ...no bun intended)  and   as  far as  sleds and  4 wheelers  that's  county and  state property  it's legal ......no my  friend  your problem is  you can't catch  fish ......I went threw  your old post  your  about  begging  for  info on how to do it ... with  the  award  winning personality of yours i'm sure you'll get lots  of  invites  if  not  I  will be  glad  to take  you out  fishing  right after that  cup of  coffee  and I might even  show  you that hole  big guy stepped in  ;D
Hold on now trap I'm recently retired so I know about the trips to the mailbox too! How do you think I have time to ice fish AND go to the country club?  Ive fished Whitney Point a few times over the years and for my two cents don't think its worth the time already spent here arguing just why it sucks.  Just my opinion though I guess some people catch a few fish there.  I

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #721 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:22 AM »
Probably shouldn't say this either but, I don't like wearing panties..DD.... ;D ;D ;D

that's  good  because  they  don't  go  well  with  fishing boots  or bibs  ....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #722 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Hold on now trap I'm recently retired so I know about the trips to the mailbox too! How do you think I have time to ice fish AND go to the country club?  Ive fished Whitney Point a few times over the years and for my two cents don't think its worth the time already spent here arguing just why it sucks.  Just my opinion though I guess some people catch a few fish there.  I

I  have  fished  it  a  bit  my self  and  truth it's a  nice  local  hole  for people that are  close ....and  they  call it the  dead sea  for  a reason .....  it's  a  good  place  for  a  crappie  derby  where  kids and  families  can have  fun  ...  and  welcome  to  the  world  of  retirement  ^5  I  now  have  a  part  time  job of  keeping bigal and  big guy out  of trouble .....

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #723 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Well on a lighter note.... I caught my PB white sucker at the derby if that's worth anything hahaha, 22" and 4lb. I've never caught a sucker through the ice so that was an experience on its own. Got it on a tiny tungsten jig with a 1" Berkley plastic too, seems crazy! 

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #724 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:30 AM »
well he's  easy  to point out !  he's  the  guy that  sets  on a  empty  bucket on  whitney point   :roflmao:

Not necessarily Trap, that could be me or bigal also!!  ;D
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #725 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Curious how holeman’s hard day at work is going while I read ice shanty... at work.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #726 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Curious how holeman’s hard day at work is going while I read ice shanty... at work.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Matandros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #727 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Hi there new to ice shanty. I'm from the Binghamton area and haven't been up that way in a couple weeks. Did they ever open keible Rd? And how was the ice on the channel? This rain and warm weather has really hurt the ice on the smaller pond I've been fishing lately. Was out last night and only 5 inches left! Rain today makes it a no go.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #728 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Hi there new to ice shanty. I'm from the Binghamton area and haven't been up that way in a couple weeks. Did they ever open keible Rd? And how was the ice on the channel? This rain and warm weather has really hurt the ice on the smaller pond I've been fishing lately. Was out last night and only 5 inches left! Rain today makes it a no go.
welcome to the site. The ice on the lake was  15 plus inches for the derby. As a public employee I was off today for the holiday and got back up to the lake. Too bad holeman had to work. 😁 The lake must have made more ice since Saturday as the holes from the derby were frozen back over. And yes, the back road along the lake has reopened but is not maintained. Oh yeah. My bucket wasn't empty today.  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #729 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Well on a lighter note.... I caught my PB white sucker at the derby if that's worth anything hahaha, 22" and 4lb. I've never caught a sucker through the ice so that was an experience on its own. Got it on a tiny tungsten jig with a 1" Berkley plastic too, seems crazy!
Nice one Mack2..I have never got one through the ice. I heard the announcer mention about a big sucker being caught. I also heard there was some carp caught too. ...one really big one.

Did you win the $ money in the sucker division...or did they lump the suckers and carp in the same money pool?
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Matandros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #730 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:11 PM »
welcome to the site. The ice on the lake was  15 plus inches for the derby. As a public employee I was off today for the holiday and got back up to the lake. Too bad holeman had to work. 😁 The lake must have made more ice since Saturday as the holes from the derby were frozen back over. And yes, the back road along the lake has reopened but is not maintained. Oh yeah. My bucket wasn't empty today.  ;D
Hey thanks for the answer. Glad you caught a couple.  I'll be up this afternoon to give it a shot.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #731 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:42 PM »
was your sucker the one on the derby board until that big carp got hung up?

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #732 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Trapper mentioned about the water releases & drawdowns being part of the problem with the crappie there...very good point. When I was talking to Ed at Davids Bait , I forgot that he mentioned about that might be in the petition too. He said there have been water release drawdowns at some critical times. He said that it is really harmful when they draw down the water at different ,critical times of the year after the spawn etc..... He said they have drawn down water in December too, leaving the shallows and shore line mud and weeds high and dry and susceptible to flash , then solid freezing , which is harmful to the bugs , and critters living in that mud, and roots of the plants.where the tiny young  bait and crappie feed and hide come summer. I did not ask him who calls for the drawdowns...Army Corp ? not sure.

I also forgot to mention that the Broome Cty. area underwater rescue and ice rescue team was there at the crappie derby, giving demonstrations on ice safety and ice rescues and recovery....which hundreds of people found interesting, informative and  i'm sure made some first time ice fishing families feel safer out there. Really nice of those guy's doing what they do, putting there lives on the line to save someone who might get in trouble out on the ice...at any time day or night.

Again, Great family derby,.... a few changes could be made as mentioned earlier... but the organizers did a great job trying to make most everyone happy . ...heck they even had 2 guys with power augers drilling holes for FREE for  families,  first timers who had no auger,  anyone who could not start their auger, or others whose auger was to dull to cut !! They made announcement after announcement about that and they were running around all morning cutting hundreds of holes for folks!!
Looking forward to next year even if the keeper crappie fishing is ...well...crappie. ;)

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #733 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Hey thanks for the answer. Glad you caught a couple.  I'll be up this afternoon to give it a shot.

How’s the rain been there today? Falling hard or just a moderate drizzle?

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #734 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Just something to keep in the back of your mind... dams and reservoirs serve the primary purpose, aside from drinking water, of flood control and are typically managed as such. Recreational purposes like boating and fishing are important considerations, but are secondary to protecting the public downstream. The Army Corp doesn't give a rat's patuty about the bugs in the weed beds like we do... That's not really their job. Can't fault them for that- and since my family's farm is in the river valley downstream, I'm grateful that it is managed the way it is
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #735 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Moderate drizzle most of day. Got me home sooner than I hoped.

Offline Matandros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #736 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:41 PM »
How’s the rain been there today? Falling hard or just a moderate drizzle?
Not bad. A decent bit of water on the ice made for a fun walk but the rain was fairly light. 5 walleye one legal at 19". The ice was still solid and over a foot thick on the channel. This week's forecast has me worried though...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #737 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Heeeessss baaaacccckkkkk 😃😃😃😃😃

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #738 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Just something to keep in the back of your mind... dams and reservoirs serve the primary purpose, aside from drinking water, of flood control and are typically managed as such. Recreational purposes like boating and fishing are important considerations, but are secondary to protecting the public downstream. The Army Corp doesn't give a rat's patuty about the bugs in the weed beds like we do... That's not really their job. Can't fault them for that- and since my family's farm is in the river valley downstream, I'm grateful that it is managed the way it is

that's exactly what it is for ! and I believe it was used to control the flow of water when loggers  were drifting logs down the river to be picked up and shipped over seas years ago

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #739 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Heeeessss baaaacccckkkkk 😃😃😃😃😃
not to worry unless you get invited out for coffee ;D

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #740 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:24 PM »
was your sucker the one on the derby board until that big carp got hung up?

Yeah that was me

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #741 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Nice one Mack2..I have never got one through the ice. I heard the announcer mention about a big sucker being caught. I also heard there was some carp caught too. ...one really big one.

Did you win the $ money in the sucker division...or did they lump the suckers and carp in the same money pool?

No the suckers and carp were in the same division so I didn't have a chance with the sucker.

Offline Matandros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #742 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Does anybody have any luck catching cats or bullhead through the ice here? I got a bullhead last night on a little jig tipped with spikes. Does anyone target them and if so where?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #743 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:53 PM »
 I have never targeted bullheads threw the ice but  late feb and march you do seem to get a few

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #744 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:26 AM »
I stopped my car last week in that pull-off overlooking the dam and saw a few guy's casting from shore a ways downstream of the spillway. Are the same walleye special regulations in effect there as they are in the lake ?
 { 18" and 3} 

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #745 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:06 AM »
I stopped my car last week in that pull-off overlooking the dam and saw a few guy's casting from shore a ways downstream of the spillway. Are the same walleye special regulations in effect there as they are in the lake ?
 { 18" and 3}

Nope! It’s 15” and 5. I’ve heard of guys getting their limits quite a bit this season, too. It’s probably like a tsunami right now with all the water coming out of the dam, though.

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #746 on: Feb 25, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Choo Choo Jay and I fish it. It is usually pretty good if you are not there during flood conditions.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #747 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Nope! It’s 15” and 5. I’ve heard of guys getting their limits quite a bit this season, too. It’s probably like a tsunami right now with all the water coming out of the dam, though.
Thanks gonephisin.

Choo Choo Jay and I fish it. It is usually pretty good if you are not there during flood conditions.
Thanks Tank. Tell Dark Cloud Jay Hi for me.

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #748 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:03 PM »
I saw one lantern this evening below the islands off Keible. Not sure how he got out there gate was closed. I took one look at the shore and headed home .

Offline kabswrangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #749 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Pond area is still accessible and fishable!!! Don't go to the other side of the lake though. The channel is unsafe as are the north and south ends. Just be cautious and use your spud.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.