Author Topic: Blackstrap 2017-2018  (Read 51756 times)

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2017-2018
« Reply #240 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:44 PM »
  i think the ones that are using that access really don't care if they appreciate it or not. after closing it off to the public.

Agreed! Lol

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Both Saturday and Sunday only a couple white fish on the camera

Keep thinking I should come join you, then I remember that it's colder than a witches big toe and I am catching just as many fish as you in my heated shop! Lol

Offline gibsons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #242 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Keep thinking I should come join you, then I remember that it's colder than a witches big toe and I am catching just as many fish as you in my heated shop! Lol
Either place we can still drink scotch.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I am obviously really out of toon with the south end of blackstrap.. Fished yesterday all day.. mainly on or beside Evans road.. 12-15 ft of water, 20 + ft water, moved 6 times yesterday.. finally caught my first fish a 3 lb pike pretty well dead center of the lake out from the boat launch's.. only stayed there for maybe an hour then had to head home..

Didn't see a perch or walleye all day.. aside from fishing black strap, what am I doing wrong..?!

hearing lots of guys catching jumbo's in the south end.. all I want is 1 jumbo this year..!! is that too much to ask for a guy..!?

if I can bring myself back to trying it again, might try wayyyy in the south end near the highway, but I think I am done with evans road..

anyhow, any advice for someone wanting to talk another blackstrap fisherman off the ledge would be appreciated..

ice is at 33" almost need an extension

(if you guys are on this site)
I pulled a couple guys out of a snow bank who were out there at Evans road in a chevy.. I seen you leave in a hurry shortly after, everything alright??

gman51

« Reply #244 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Keep plugging away.. do some research on whatever lake your fishing....what Lure,s to use, depth of active feeding fish, time of day, its all part of the game. Put your time in and pay attention each time out on weather patterns. building up some knowledge on any lake will catch you more fish. Whatever advise someone gives you today might not work tomorrow .good luck.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Either place we can still drink scotch.

True that!

Maybe this weekend we can make our way down there.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #246 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Fished from 9 to 2:30 today on and around Evans Road.  Low pressure might of had the fish biting better today.  Ended up with over a dozen nice jumbos and a 4 lb Walleye.  Got to windy and blowing snow for us to stay for late afternoon bite.  For people with a good back you still can get away without an extension.  But with the extension on it sure makes it easier on my old back.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Fished from 9 to 2:30 today on and around Evans Road.  Low pressure might of had the fish biting better today.  Ended up with over a dozen nice jumbos and a 4 lb Walleye.  Got to windy and blowing snow for us to stay for late afternoon bite.  For people with a good back you still can get away without an extension.  But with the extension on it sure makes it easier on my old back.

Thanks for the update!  Just need to decide if I wanna fish out of an 8” or 10” hole!  Hehehe!

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #248 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Holly crap....how did you get them in the house.  My wife....opps...the wife won't even let me up the stairs from the garage with my auger....lol

And it looks like you gave the flighting a new paint job.....looks good.

Once you fish in a 10 inch hole, those 8 inch holes look small. 

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Holly crap....how did you get them in the house.  My wife....opps...the wife won't even let me up the stairs from the garage with my auger....lol

And it looks like you gave the flighting a new paint job.....looks good.

They are practically brand new maybe less than 50 holes on each flight. Lol.

Once you fish in a 10 inch hole, those 8 inch holes look small.
//.\\//.\\ark

gman51

« Reply #250 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:27 AM »
beautiful afternoon yesterday but really chilled down around 430 with the wind. not a lot of people fishing the free fishing weekend that i seen.  fished north of the causeway from 3 till 7 moved around to a few areas marking not catching settled in an area and waited it out . finely landed 2 small eyes and a perch at the end.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I was out last Friday and then again this Tuesday.  Tuesday I was the only one on the ice on the South end.

Both days were good for jumbos off of Evans road.  Have to drill a number of holes and move around.  They are still not biting steady.  Go for
a hour without a bite and then they move in and bite in spurts and then nothing, then wait for the next spurt.  All in all can't complain the way the winer has been.  Slower then most years, but the size in this area has been crazy.  People are catching a few on the North end, but the size is pretty small so far.

Starting Saturday it looks like the next 10 days will be really nice weather.  Should see more people posting on here.

Offline Chuckie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #252 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Any word on how badly the snow has drifted on the lake? Might head out tomorrow or Sunday (less wind according to Weather Network Sunday, but they’re not exactly accurate) and if I’m feeling lazy I’ll drive onto Evans road.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #253 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Come in through the park and both boat launches are clear (no snow drifted in, etc).  There are small snow drifts on the lake, but I have seen
cars on the ice the last 3 weeks.  So it is still easy to drive around.  Just have to drive slow.  You can still snake your way around the drifts as there is lot's of clear spots.  I have been driving around in 2 wheel drive with my truck, so no problem at all.

gman51

« Reply #254 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:15 AM »
got out fishing with a buddy late afternoon/evening on Friday in that brutal wind not the best of dissensions that's for sure. north of the causeway hit a few areas marking fish again nothing coming topside. then we were out yesterday on beautiful day and did a fair bit of moving around the lake north and south catching a few here and there. we ended the evening with some perch and a few walleyes to take home and earlier that day buddy landed a 7lb pike on his ultra... ultra lite perch rigging that took awhile  lol     was a great time out with a old friend.   

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Managed some nice jumbos today biggest perch ive ever caught. 8 of me. Pk spoon with mealworms

gman51

« Reply #256 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Managed some nice jumbos today biggest perch ive ever caught. 8 of me. Pk spoon with mealworms
     nice work deringer, march and some steady warmer temps is a couple days away.. should be lots of those jumbo,s being caught over the next month.

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #257 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Does any one know if there is a fish derby at blackstrap this year.
Small town fisher

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #258 on: Mar 01, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Anyone interested in the fishing derby at Blackstrap should contact Big Mur's Tavern in Dundurn.  They put on the derby last year.

The number is 306 492 2369

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #259 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Not many people posting, so I thought I would just let the board know we were out from 2 to 5 this afternoon, and tried a couple spots off of Evans road, and ended up with a dozen nice jumbos.

I was out of town for 9 days, and this afternoon was the first chance I had to get out in awhile.  Going to be a white out by the sounds of things for tomorrow.  Should be good to go Sunday through next weekend.

gman51

« Reply #260 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:09 AM »
yes good to go on the temps for awhile..... but you can probably leave the cars and 2 wheel drives at home..... lol. the good news is that there doesn't seem to be any more snow in the forecast for the next couple weeks for those who have to get their permys off. but again that could change.  we have more snow in the last couple days than we've had all year.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #261 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:41 PM »
yes good to go on the temps for awhile..... but you can probably leave the cars and 2 wheel drives at home..... lol. the good news is that there doesn't seem to be any more snow in the forecast for the next couple weeks for those who have to get their permys off. but again that could change.  we have more snow in the last couple days than we've had all year.

How deep is the snow looking right now after this mini blizzard? mainly interested in the south boat launch areas.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #262 on: Mar 05, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I am going out tomorrow morning and will let you all know how the boat launches area, if no one was out today.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #263 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Both boat launches are good to go.  I used the North one going on and used the South one going off.  I believe the South one has less snow.

The snow if anywhere from 4 inches to 8 to 10 inches.  Do not try to drive on the ice with a car/van/2 wheel truck.  There were at least 10 spots were I was pushing snow with my undercarriage/spare tire.  Had to keep speed up to 25 km in the deep parts.  I did drive both ways off of Evans road.  If the tracks are blown in, it might be better for a person to blaze a new trail, as it seems that is when I get stuck is trying to follow and old trail.

Now for the fishing report.  Had to put in a hour overtime today...from 9 to 6 to catch my 10 jumbos.  And they didn't bite in spurts today, it was all singles, some 2 hours apart  I just finished cleaning the fish, and their mouths/stomachs/track to their bum were just full of blood worms.  So that could be the reason the bite was slow.  March might end up being a slow month like last year the way it is starting out.

Was out there myself, except for one truck that came and checked their shack out and only fished a hour or so.

Was anyone fishing the North end today or yesterday?  How is the entrance?

Offline gibsons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #264 on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Was that you digging out the avalanche? If so that was me that came up on the sled.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #265 on: Mar 07, 2018, 10:34 PM »
Was out at the North end today.  Entrance onto the ice is excellent.  It seemed the snow was a lot softer today to break trail.  Just keep your speed up and you shouldn't have any problems.  Drove off the ice at the back bay by Blackrock.  Again getting on and off is no problem.  Didn't get started until 10 and took a hour off for a good shore lunch and left early.  Ended up with 1 keeper walleye and 4 jumbos.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #266 on: Mar 10, 2018, 02:56 AM »
like my chances of getting to pump house at sheilds from north end in a tacoma (4x4 + winter tires)?

"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

gman51

« Reply #267 on: Mar 10, 2018, 03:45 AM »
like my chances of getting to pump house at sheilds from north end in a tacoma (4x4 + winter tires)?
    GIV'ER...dont look back...lol

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Mar 10, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Dooman.......there should be a trail to follow to the South end of Shields and maybe even the pump house.  You shouldn't have a problem....Just follow advise given my Rip......lol

gman51

« Reply #269 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:40 AM »
got out for a full day yesterday of sledding and fishing, not so much on the fishing but did manage a few perch and a small pike 3lbs. was great weather for getting around the lake on the sled visiting friends and fishing different areas. going out for another tour today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.