Author Topic: Sainte Anne River Tommy Cod Fishing  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
Sainte Anne River Tommy Cod Fishing
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:10 AM »
The wife, 2 year old son & I are fishing the saint anne for tommy cod this Friday 2/15 with the Marchand outfitter.  They provide everything (liver cut bait, and shrimp for an extra charge) but I will be bringing the vexilar, some spikes and a jigging pole as well.  Sounds like a little current their, so I might want a 1/2 oz spoon or sinker to keep me at bottom? 

Any other tips for icing a few more tommy cod?  Different bait, lures, etc.

I've done a bunch of research, but most of the few good you tube videos aren't in english and I can't translate.  What is that sinker called that they use that has line and two hooks coming out of each side of it? 

Looks to me I could expect about 8' of murky water we will be fishing in?

Also, I believe it is illegal for me to have a couple beers in the shanty?

We have the shanty from 8am to 6pm on Friday.

Hopefully FreshwaterPhil has a few answers/tips/suggestions!!

Thanks!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Re: Sainte Anne River Tommy Cod Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Never tried the Tommy cod thing, but my brother did nearly over 20 years ago. They basically give you a bunch of hand lines that you bait with bits of pig liver. Water is shallow with strong current, barely any fight from the fish that are about 5-6 inches long. People land high numbers of them. My brother brought along a jigging rod at the time and hooked a fallfish, which the outfitter was quite surprised about. I think a flasher is a waste of time there. Beers are fine, cabnis are heated and fishing is indoors.

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:12 AM »
10-4.  Will post back on how we did.  Thanks Phil

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:38 PM »
The wife and I caught about 75.  Largest was probably 10 inches.  Most were around 5 inches.  Good morning bite for two or 3 hours and then it died down.  Some here and their after that.  I caught most on a small pimple with spikes and/or cut liver.  They also gave us one bag of shrimp which usually got the few bigger ones we got.  We were in about 7 feet of water, with the transducer about 1/2 way down the ice.  Not easy to clean them when they are alive!  We left about an hour early because it was still snowing and we had got enough fishing in and the 2 year old boy was ready.  We ventured up to Quebec and checked out the winter carnival and went to the ice hotel on Saturday/Sunday.  Lots of snow you or they got in Quebec! 

Cheers, Aaron 

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Glad it worked out for you. We did get 40 cm of snow a few days ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.