Author Topic: ice fishing gloves  (Read 9793 times)

Offline icebreakerbrit

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing gloves
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:19 PM »
can anyone recomend a good pair of gloves for ice fishing   ::)

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice fishing gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:32 PM »
I think some body on this site was selling gloves. I am not sure but it might have been  Skipper.If you look it up in the search section you might find the post. Some of the people who have them liked them.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:44 PM »
check the for sales in the main forum
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Clam Ice shanty and a mr heater heat buddy.  wont need gloves while inside it!   :P

On a serious note though, i found a pair of fingerless wool gloves that are very thin a few years ago. 
I wear them under a pair of ice armour gloves.  The ice armour gloves are great.  They are flexible
warm enough and dry.  The only times they come off outside is when unhooking a fish, or retying
a line.  I find it a pain to tie a good knot with any pair of full finger gloves.   The ice armours run
30 bucks, and can be found at pretty much any place that carries ice fishing gear these days.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I have a pair of ice armor from cabelas. If you don't have good luck on site, you might try them.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2008, 03:23 PM »
don't wear gloves

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:46 PM »
I picked up the new ice armor gloves that came out this year the now have a zipper compartment for a hand warmer or ventilation and they have made them now that a piece extends out and over your arms further.They seem to be very warm so far.

Offline Jello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I picked up a pair of these Head ski gloves for $15 at Costco here in Canada.  I've had them since last season and they've been great.  I've had them soaked, but the inside remains dry.

http://thesocksite.com/head-waterproof-winter-gloves-with-heat-pack-pocket-p-581.html

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:02 PM »
i just got a pair of ice armor glove that fit like work gloves   they are very comfy i dot wear gloves to often but these are very warm and i like the fit   oh yea there water proof until you hit the top of glove they have a neoprene wrist cuff that keeps allot of the snow and water out   just my two cents  oh i got them from dicks sporting goods  :tipup:

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I like the polar gloves made by HT they are water proof, warm and easy to get on and off even with wet hands. plus the wool on the cuffs make a great snot rag
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Fingerless rag wool golves with handwarmer packets in my pockets in case my finggies get a bit chilly

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 01:56 PM »
I like the polar gloves made by HT they are water proof, warm and easy to get on and off even with wet hands. plus the wool on the cuffs make a great snot rag

yep!

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:05 PM »
I don't wear gloves either, pain in the a$$!
When bucket fishing I use a single mantle
coleman to knock the chill off.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Just don't miss the wool or oooooouuuuuch.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Latex gloves from your local drug store, put them on when you get to the lake and put your other gloves over them, get on the ice ,drill your holes set up the shanty and take your outer gloves off, hands will keep warm and dry, good fishing!

Offline Pittsfield Pike Preditor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drill em and fill em
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Fingerless rag wool golves with handwarmer packets in my pockets in case my finggies get a bit chilly

I wear the same thing all winter long no matter what the weather is like and my fingers never get cold. I would never buy anything else.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:56 AM »
Latex gloves from your local drug store, put them on when you get to the lake and put your other gloves over them, get on the ice ,drill your holes set up the shanty and take your outer gloves off, hands will keep warm and dry, good fishing!
I've been considering trying latex gloves...I usually don't wear any gloves and as long as I keep my hands relatively dry (which is hard to do ice fishing) they don't get cold. I figure if I used latex under a light pair of gloves my hands would be fine. When it comes time to unhook a fish or tie a Knot just pull the outer glove(s) off. Gonna experiment with it a bit this winter...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:01 AM »
Fingerless rag wool gloves with handwarmer packets in my pockets in case my finggies get a bit chilly
Yea....They keep your hands warm, just don't get a hook even NEAR one of them or you spend more time digging out a hook than you do fishing!!!!... >:(..WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:11 AM »

Latex?  No kidding.  Who would think of that?  You aren't a proctologist by chance, are you?  :o  Your buddies might get scared if they saw you take your outer gloves off.   ;D
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline Mounter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Be careful with latex gloves near the heater!!!!! My buddy seemed to be in pain when they partially melted to his skin.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:37 AM »
I got a pair of the HT Polar gloves for Christmas.  Can't wait to try them out on a really cold day.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:42 AM »
I could never get a pair of gloves that kept my hands warm, but also were pliable enough for fishing. I need that sensativity and dexterity in my hands and gloves always get in the way. Through the years, I found a good pair of heavy chopper mitts work great. I can wear them during the work times and when out and about, but they fly right off the hands when it comes time to fish. They also work great as knee pads when you get to your tip-up hole and you want to kneel down to play the fish or work the tipup.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline limpbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:21 AM »
leather mittens with sheepskin liners that have guantlets, they drop rite off when you get to your tip up and you can kneel on em, army surplus wool glove liners inside when really cold, old school.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:54 AM »
i have a pair of wool gloves for walking from the truck to the shack and a pair of neoprene duck decoy gloves for working tip-ups warm and water proof plus still have finger mobility
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I use what we call here in maine "lobster gloves"  I get them at the marine store in portland, me..  I love them for Duck hunting and placing decoys in cold water, and ice fishing especually clearing holes and they are great in wet conditions.  Really have good use of your fingers and such with these on. Also if they get a little cut, I fix it with pvc repair glue... same stuff you use for wader or rubber raft repair...
here is a link with the info on the glove.  They are about 12.00 at the store in portland. 
http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1771

Offline Drewbonic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Cabelas has a great pair of  Glommits. They are a newer item, and you can find them on the website. Neoprene palm, flip thumb, thinsulate, etc. I bought a pair and I really like them. Go to the cabelas site and type Glommits in the search bar. They should pop up. They are only about $15.00.
- Good fishing!

Offline ChknChkn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Bought some of these at Bass Pro.......

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=73534&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Work like a charm for me......index finger tips & thumbs can be rolled back and velcroed down when you need to re-tie.....works pretty slick.

One fish at a time...........

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Fingerless ragg wool gloves with handwarmer packets in my pockets in case my finggies get a bit chilly

I'll go a step further if needed - put the handwarmers INSIDE your fingerless gloves against the back sides of your hands. I put on the big mitts for walking or riding on and off the ice. Heavier insulated gloves are more of a P.I.T.A. in my opinion - and mittens will keep you warmer.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:22 AM »
I use just about everything I can find here in Alaska, I had a pair of Ice armour from Cabelas, they worked great for the first few times and then they got water in and they ripped plus the fingers pulled out >:( :%$#!: I sent them back for new ones as an exchange, no problems with that because it was a few months after I bought them when the problem arised. The new pair seem to be doing fine but right now I can't find them in my garage :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: so I have been using a pair of Kenai fingerless flip mitts with neoprene and they work fine along with my Kenai neoprene gloves.

I just wish the Ice armour ones would come up the arms a little higher and I could find mine :unsure:

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:48 AM »
I have several good pairs of large mittens (one pair are military issue with leather palms and wool lining) and I don't have a problem with them because you can rip them off quick to grab a tip-up or leave them on to drill holes etc. I still think I'm gonna try latex underneath a pair if thin glove liners for all around wear...WK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.