Author Topic: Ice Update 12-8-2003  (Read 5661 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Ice Update 12-8-2003
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:24 PM »
Had an early day at work, drove around the lake to look around. We had a good glazing last night as the temps were down into the teens, but still not remotely safe to fish on. Some areas in the main lake had patcy thin ice, but mostly open water still. Marsh run finally glazed across in some spots. Yesterday, ice in these areas were not there! Supposed to be in low 20's the next few nights, but above freezing for the next 2 days during the day,until a cold front hits again. Ive added a pic I took at Marsh Run Cove shortly ago. Hope it works.

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
Re:Ice Update 12-8-2003
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:54 PM »
FDC,

Great picture, and thanks for taking the time to post it. I check the Deep Creek Times webcam after sunrise each morning to check for progress.
http://www.deepcreektimes.com/webcam.asp
Looks like the webcam shoots a more exposed portion of the lake.

Bob

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 06:01 PM »
That cam is close to the 219 bridge on lake shore drive. Is shoot a pic of the main lake there going towards the dam. Usally that area freezes later than the rest of the lake (depending on winds). Seems like the main lake is always getting lapped by waves.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2003, 04:45 AM »
Thanks for posting FDC. GREAT PIC. ;D I hope the rain that is supposed to hit us hard does not hit the lake too much. It is a bit colder out your way so it may not due as much damage. Is another cold front supposed to sweep in?

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 02:05 PM »
Well the bad news is that the ice you see in the pic is all gone already, rain has just got here (was melted before then) however, A cold fron is coming Thurday afternoon, with Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays high only in the low 20's, lows in teens, so hopefully it give it a boost again. The water is probably close to freezing already, so who knows what will happen.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:42 PM »
Hey FDC how much is an out of state license?  My uncle has a hunting camp up on Keysers Ridge that I visit once in a while.  How far are you from Keysers?  I would like to make a trip down this year and hear this is a beautiful lake.  A guy on the PA forum said he saw guys setting up tip-ups on Pinchot today.  It won't be long.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:58 PM »
If you are in PA, a full liscense is $35.00. You can get a 3 day, and i think a 5 day for less. To see cost for out of state liscense (it varies by what state you are from) Follow this link http://www.dnr.state.md.us/service/fishingcost.html.

Keysers Ridge is about 5-6 miles from the lake. Just keep south on 219. its not far from the lake at all.I live in Mchenry, which is in the Deep Creek area, not far from there at all, I pass Keysers ridge often.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:33 AM »
Thanks FDC.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:21 AM »
Hey FDC,

Are you guys getting the heavy rain we are getting here this am? I think it is supposed to get colder after the rain goes thru. Let us know if there is any ice left after the storm. We may go fet fish traps after x-mas but if this weather pattern keeps up we won't need it this season >:(  

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:54 AM »
Genz,
  Here in central PA we missed the rain. We had freezing rain over night and then we got a good burst of snow this morning.  West of the Laurel mountains yesterday it got up to 50 degrees in some places, but here in the valleys we never got above 40 degrees.  Most of the lakes that had ice forming still have 5 to 6 inches of snow on them.  The snow will insulate the little ice we have, but hinder making any more.  We have windy days the next few days.  We will be lucky to have safe ice by the beginning of the year.   ???

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:52 AM »
Genz Man and Ice Nutter, I wish you luck with your ice.  This is NOTHING like the good ice making we had in Central Maine last year!  I got out for the 1st time on 12/14.  The first spot I tried didn't work at well.  I broke through while trying to get on the lake over a marshy area! I think the ice on the main lake would have been OK, but I was too wet to continue. I got some dry clothes and tried a different pond. Stayed dry this time.  There was maybe 6" of ice (half black/half refreeze) over the creek channel at 14 feet of water.  It was thinning as I headed further out. I did "break the ice" (probably the wrong term to use) for the season with a mixed bag of 10 fish - good sized picks, largies, and some yellow perch.

Ice making conditions are POOR even here.  I am concerned about the trout opener on the big, deep lakes on Jan. 1.  May not make it even up here.  Be careful down there, boys!

Jim C.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2003, 04:39 AM »
We are waiting till good ice down this way Jim. We are heading to gander this afternoon I think to possibly get our new shanties. :'( Thanks for the info icenutter. I want to go ice fishing cause my fever is at an all time high  >:( Just antsy a little huh?!?! Oh well gotta go to work now. Half day WORKING then off to gander and tons "O" tackle!!! Hey FDC are you making some safe ice for us to head out your way yet ??? :'(  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.