Author Topic: WV Ice?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
WV Ice?
« on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:32 PM »
I will be moving to Virginia about half way through Jan. and would love to do some ice fishing in WV if possible.  Can anybody point me to some possible places and is there any ice starting to form there?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WV Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:08 PM »
There are a few lakes listed in the MD and WV reports and conditions board that you could try.
Ken                                          

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:02 PM »
There are a few that get safe ice. One decent place is behind the Mercer Mall in Princton, WV. A friend went with a few guys last year and one guy caught a 9lb. rainbow (Brood Trout). It gets stocked in January. Little Beaver State Park out side of Beckley, Summit Lake near Richwood. We can get safe ice on a few different lakes if the temps stay right and it's starting to look pretty good for the next few weeks. What part of VA you moving to??   

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Gwebb,

How's the Ice looking? Wondering if there will be any mountain ice in southern VA? Lookin to take a trip this weekend.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Ill probably live in Wytheville, VA but willing to travel some if the ice is there.

Offline seascout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:17 PM »
can anyone tell me what else lurks in summit lake besides trout , any crappie?    any info would be helpfull   thanks

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I haven't been out looking at any of the local lakes yet, temps this week will help. I will check out Little Beaver State Park on Monday or Tuesday, I did check one of the local ponds wednesday evening and it had around 2 inches but it is fed by a spring and has a hard time making and keeping ice. I'll post any info as I learn it. I'll be heading to Deep Creek Lake in MD on the 8th.   

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Ice should be good on Little Beaver,going to try and check it today.
GOD BLESS

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Little Beaver had about 5 inches of hard ice underneath 1 1/2 soft ice, still covered in snow which should melt off as warm as its getting.This was out in front of the boat docks.Others had been out on diffrent parts of lake.  All i can say is, Bring on the fish!!! :icefish:
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I was over there today also, DOH came in plowing the road while I was there. One of the guys working there told me there was around 6" of ice on the lake. They should stock it this week...hopefully. If not, these temps for the next couple of weeks don't look good. I went out again to the one pond I've fished a few times yesterday, made it about 8 feet out and was just checking the ice, 2 cranks on the auger and I hit a layer of water, 4 more cranks and I pushed the auger through it.  :o Maybe 3 1/2" of junk white ice. I sure was glad when my feet was back on solid ground. I think I'll wait and check it again in maybe late March early April.  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.