Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Perch Lake  (Read 4781 times)

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
Perch Lake
« on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Are there any good recommendations for a quality perch lake in Iowa. I have heard there is some good gill fishing around. Is there anyone who remembers the gills that used to come out of Pelican Lake up at the Refuge in Nebraska.
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Perch Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:18 AM »
Yes..or I've heard about them.  Hard to beat the Waubay perch...I caught 2 last year that sat in a deep freeze for a while as I contemplated a double mount.  Both were 15"+ and caught back to back in less than 2 minutes.  But the pike and perch in refuge lakes are high quality.  Just a lot of regs and lot of leg work...for shame.  LOL
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:14 AM »
I understand the gills that came out of the refuge lakes in Nebraska were considered "world class" . Not sure that is still true today. We open water fished Merritt Res. for eyes during that period. Never fished the refuge .. :'(

Quality perch lake in Iowa...?  Spirit and West O. ...?  The shallow Silver Lake (Ayrshire) has had large numbers of small perch for years. I would suppose it still does. At one time the state record came out of there.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Falcon if your in West Des Moines, go to Maffitt Reservoir.  Do some flashing around in the cove by the handycap dock.  I've caught 14+" perch in Maffitt.  You'll have to use your best skills and be very stealthy but it's worth it.  They seem to be smart fish in that lake.  I use swedish pimples tiped with minnow heads or green/orange tears with waxies hanging off the hook vertically.  They are very picky.  I usually drill several holes and Wait about 15 minutes before dropping a line.   That lake will test your skills but it is very rewarding if you get on em'.   ;)
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:04 AM »
I remember some smaller lakes as a kid I would hit with my buddy and hie dad....Trumball , Rush, High lake, 5 Island (?)....those all had some quality perch depending on the year.  I think they were sensitive to freeze out though...very shallow and I'm sure that silt in and runoff has not helped them any which seems to be happening to many of those small gems.  It's a shame...they were very acessible and productive and saw moderate pressure.  Spirit is very year-class driven.  When it's on, you can have great fishing.  I lived on the South Shore right next to the pump house and used to fill a clip stringer 3 per clip with 11"-12" ers by breakfast just outside the emergent weedline.  Had a little boat I would row out and anchor.  I think my fishing skills peaked at about 14...now I need at least $3000 in toys to get skunked.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Iceaholic

Where exactly is Maffitt at and who makes a swedish pimple?

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Maffitt is just south of West Des Moines kinda in the corner of hwy 5 and interstate 35 ish.  Google map it.  The park opens at 7:00 and closes at sun down but you can fish all night if you park your car outside the gate by the dam.  Not sure exactly who makes swedish pimples.  Just know they work good for pearch.  They look kinda like a castmaster with a tear flash.  Ask your local bait shop if they carry them. 
I live in Arkansas now but will be coming back every 2 weeks for hard water fishing.  It's worth the 350 mile drive for the love of my life.  I brought my Vexlar to the local indoor fishing peer and was catching gills and warmouths like a freakin' wild man.  The local ol' boys thought I was some kind of god with my funny looking flashy thing.  I was loving it.  They have never seen a Vexlar before.  I showed them fish and my jig on the screen and how they follow and they couldn't believe it!  One of them called a buddy to come down and see it.  I guess they ARE pretty freakin' cool.  See ya guys on the ice.   ;D   

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Maffitt isn't in Raccon River Park is it?

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007, 07:06 AM »
Here's a map for Maffitt.  It's real easy to find.   

http://findlakes.com/dale_maffitt_reservoir_iowa~ia01338.htm

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Maffitt isn't in Raccon River Park is it?

NO
 If you were headed south on interstate 35 , you would cross the river and take the next exit which would take you east to the DesMoines airport . After taking the exit off 35 and start heading east , take the first exit to the south. You won't go far and there is a sign that points back west... Maffitt road I believe it says. Take it west and that will take you across 35 and you can't miss it then.
It's a west DesMoines water supply and park.  I think I lost my self .... :laugh:
 Warning ...the lake can drive one to drink !! LOL !!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:48 AM »
True, don't expect to catch a lot of fish but that lake can be very rewarding with lots of patients.  I went there one time and caught 2 pearch over 12" and one over 14".  3 fish and it is still one of the most memorable ice fishing trips I've been on.  Definitely tested my ice fishing skills to the max.  Sometimes it's not all about catching a lot of fish.  That 14" perch was in my opinion a trophy fish of a lifetime.       

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Thanks for the info. I knew that lake was there. I just didn't know what it was called.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:00 PM »
hey falcon cornelia, morse and little wall lake all got perch.  little wall has lots of dinks and cornelia and morse have good perch and its a little closer to you then the igl's are.  morse still holds the state record for perch too.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Maffitt is just south of West Des Moines kinda in the corner of hwy 5 and interstate 35 ish.  Google map it.  The park opens at 7:00 and closes at sun down but you can fish all night if you park your car outside the gate by the dam.  Not sure exactly who makes swedish pimples.  Just know they work good for pearch.  They look kinda like a castmaster with a tear flash.  Ask your local bait shop if they carry them. 
I live in Arkansas now but will be coming back every 2 weeks for hard water fishing.  It's worth the 350 mile drive for the love of my life.  I brought my Vexlar to the local indoor fishing peer and was catching gills and warmouths like a freakin' wild man.  The local ol' boys thought I was some kind of god with my funny looking flashy thing.  I was loving it.  They have never seen a Vexlar before.  I showed them fish and my jig on the screen and how they follow and they couldn't believe it!  One of them called a buddy to come down and see it.  I guess they ARE pretty freakin' cool.  See ya guys on the ice.   ;D   
Iceaholic:
I agree with you sometimes it rewarding to fish a lake like that. On the other hand it can be very frustrating. Do have better luck on certain colors of swedish pimples. I know my experience has been they definitely like certain colors on some lakes. I will have to give it a look its between my work and home. Do live in southern Arkansas? I have been to Little Rock for Falcon aircraft training. The Vexlar is the only way to go in my opinion but its also the only units I've ever used why change when it works so well. Thanks for the info!
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:06 PM »
NO
 If you were headed south on interstate 35 , you would cross the river and take the next exit which would take you east to the DesMoines airport . After taking the exit off 35 and start heading east , take the first exit to the south. You won't go far and there is a sign that points back west... Maffitt road I believe it says. Take it west and that will take you across 35 and you can't miss it then.
It's a west DesMoines water supply and park.  I think I lost my self .... :laugh:
 Warning ...the lake can drive one to drink !! LOL !!
toothfish:
Thanks for the directions it turns out I drive near it daily. I will have to stop when we get ice.
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:09 PM »
hey falcon cornelia, morse and little wall lake all got perch.  little wall has lots of dinks and cornelia and morse have good perch and its a little closer to you then the igl's are.  morse still holds the state record for perch too.
Thanks for the guidance much appreciated!
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2007, 05:16 PM »
I remember some smaller lakes as a kid I would hit with my buddy and hie dad....Trumball , Rush, High lake, 5 Island (?)....those all had some quality perch depending on the year.  I think they were sensitive to freeze out though...very shallow and I'm sure that silt in and runoff has not helped them any which seems to be happening to many of those small gems.  It's a shame...they were very acessible and productive and saw moderate pressure.  Spirit is very year-class driven.  When it's on, you can have great fishing.  I lived on the South Shore right next to the pump house and used to fill a clip stringer 3 per clip with 11"-12" ers by breakfast just outside the emergent weedline.  Had a little boat I would row out and anchor.  I think my fishing skills peaked at about 14...now I need at least $3000 in toys to get skunked.
BojiHawk:
I will have to take a look at them. Thanks for helping me out with some direction. I hear you on the expanded inventory. It seems like every year my sled gets heavier and when the four wheeler cant be used I feel it. :-\
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline bubbaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007, 01:18 PM »
iowa lake on the mn boarder is another good lake for good perch.lil siver by arshyer is good also,and fish after dark for a few walleye
got the best job get paid to talk about hunting and fishing all day

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Falcon:
No, I live in Northwest Arkansas.  Actually about 3 minutes to the Missouri border.  My advice on color for Maffitt, if it's clean water, use white, black or brown.  If it's murky use green and if it's rusty use orange.  That's always been my rule with what I start with.  There are also lots of crappie and gills in Maffitt so experiment.  I've had the best luck in the dock cove about 50-80 yards out from where you park on the south end.  I don't mind posting my spot because that lake doesn't get a lot of preasure and I think it could use a little.   ;)

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007, 05:00 PM »
bubbaboy:
Thanks for the advice on the perch. I will check them out. :)
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Falcon:
No, I live in Northwest Arkansas.  Actually about 3 minutes to the Missouri border.  My advice on color for Maffitt, if it's clean water, use white, black or brown.  If it's murky use green and if it's rusty use orange.  That's always been my rule with what I start with.  There are also lots of crappie and gills in Maffitt so experiment.  I've had the best luck in the dock cove about 50-80 yards out from where you park on the south end.  I don't mind posting my spot because that lake doesn't get a lot of preasure and I think it could use a little.   ;)
Thanks for the information on Maffitt. I will let you know how it goes. :tipup:
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.