Author Topic: Ice shack lock or unlocked?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shack lock or unlocked?
« on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has had issues leaving their shacks locked up with their gear inside. Over the last five seasons I have left my shack empty and unlocked as I would rather people just open the door then smash it open to find out it’s empty. Lately I have been thinking of leaving a few things behind and locking up when I leave but the value of the stuff I’m thinking of leaving is less then the cost of the door.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shack lock or unlocked?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:29 PM »
When I did use my permanent shack I left it empty but unlocked. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:58 PM »
I left mine fully stocked with rods and such and unlocked for years but then again that was years ago (16 years ago) when people respected peoples property. I even left the power auger out most days
Would not do that now

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:29 PM »
I never leave anything that I can't easily replace in my shack. I have a huge lock on it too!

Too many bad people around that have zero respect for property that is not theirs!! >:(

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Unlocked. Nothing of value is ever left in it except the propane heater which I'm a bit nervous about leaving. Most of the time the shack is visible from the cabin  but if it isn't we pull it back home at night with a snowmobile. I agree with the sentiment about the lowlifes.

Offline draft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:56 AM »
bunch of yrs ago left it unlocked. So hadnt been their f/ a few weeks and when we opened the door, holy moly. about a foot of ice on the floor fr people using and well you know the story.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:58 AM »
When I did use my permanent shack I left it empty but unlocked.

Could be in for a surprise. Someone on this site opened up their door and caught a teenage couple doing the horizontal mambo!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I leave mine unlocked with a shovel and a slush tub, surprised that hasn"t been stolen yet!

Offline jignjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Could be in for a surprise. Someone on this site opened up their door and caught a teenage couple doing the horizontal mambo!
I apologise! We were young and crazy back then....

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:32 PM »
My new shack won't stay on the ice, too many chit rats out there with no respect, as has been mentioned.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:36 PM »
If you're leaving it unlocked or locked on Murray or Jackfish with stuff inside, you should also put up a sign, "Free Gear". That's what's assumed around here.

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I keep all my gear inside except my auger and lock er up. I'm at Beaver Flats on Deifenbaker.
Never had a problem.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:06 PM »
I apologise! We were young and crazy back then....

;D

Oh those were the exciting days!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Well it’s been over a month since I put the shack out. Left my gear inside with the door unlocked and so far no issues. Its a lot more convenient not dragging evening thing back and forth. Nice to see that people still have respect for the belongings of others.

gman51

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Well it’s been over a month since I put the shack out. Left my gear inside with the door unlocked and so far no issues. Its a lot more convenient not dragging evening thing back and forth. Nice to see that people still have respect for the belongings of others.
.  Yes there are still some out there left in the world. But leaving some of your gear inside unlocked.... not to keen on that idea. Odds are the bad ones will stop by.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I lock mine up and never leave anything of value. My shack is in an out of the way area by itself and there are always vehicle tracks and foot prints where some one has looked in. Only been broken in once. if I knew people would respect it I would leave it unlocked but have heard to many horror stories from folks that left theirs open

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Had mine broke into and a small amount of equipment stolen a couple years ago at Blackstrap.  Unlocked and empty now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.