Author Topic: Hub shelter staking materials.....  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Paul of Hbg.

• IceShanty Rookie
Hub shelter staking materials.....
« on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:45 AM »
So after acquiring the necessary anchors (8) and ropes, what do you carry all the anchoring devices in as you go to the ice, and what else do you carry along for the purpose of anchoring the shelter?
Also, what strategy do you implement to get the shelter securely anchored?
Paul of Hbg.
A man convinced against his will.....
is of the same opinion still.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hub shelter staking materials.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:38 AM »
My Shappell WideHouse 5500 came with I think 4 (anchors/ropes). They came in a pouch much like tent stakes come in. I screw the anchors in by hand, it’s not that difficult. Then I just toss that bag into the big bag that my shelter goes in.

So I use two anchors and one rope, put them in a pouch inside my shelters bag. Anchor a hub facing the wind (with the rope) and anchor the skirt (through a rivet) on the opposing side. Doesn’t budge. If I absolutely need to I’ll anchor another spot on the skirt.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:18 AM »
The Eskimo anchors are really nice. Get the Eskimo drill attachment and I switched out the normal ropes for cam jams.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:33 AM »
So after acquiring the necessary anchors (8) and ropes, what do you carry all the anchoring devices in as you go to the ice

Eskimo anchor pouch.  It's not listed on their website but they will sell you one if you call them.  I called and ordered an extra.  For my QF6, that means 12 anchors--6 inside and 6 outside for the times we anchor down all the sides on the outside.

and what else do you carry along for the purpose of anchoring the shelter?

A cheap rechargeable drill with 1/4-inch bit.  We predrill holes, many do not.  Personal preference.

Also, what strategy do you implement to get the shelter securely anchored?

All inside anchors first. If it's windy then buddies hold outside walls until inside is done.  Then upwind walls, starting with each anchor rope almost totally extended, then cinching it up tight with the slider after putting the end loop around the anchor.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Keep them in a small tent stake pouch . We use 5 for the windiest days .  First one goes in  the upwind corner with the door straight down wind . The other 4 go one on each strap from the center of each hub .

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:19 AM »
we also pre drill holes, si a drill bit. also i am going to make an adapter for my drill to easily hold the HT shelter stakes while screwing them in. something to go over the t handle design.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:40 AM »
The Eskimo anchor adapter is hard to beat for $15

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.