The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger blades  (Read 1696 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Auger blades
« on: Nov 07, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Can you actually sharpen auger blades so that they hold and edge? We've tried before but we've never been able to get them to hold any kind of an edge. Maybe for one or two holes but not beyond that. It says on the package just to hone the top side of the blade but this doesn't seem to work either. Has anyone done this with success? Thanks
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2005, 03:11 PM »
you can, but if you don't get the exact angle on them, they are ruined.  Lots of bait shops have blade exchanges. 

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2005, 03:21 PM »
So it's a science that takes years to perfect? Greeeeeat! (NOT)

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2005, 03:45 PM »
No, actually it is one of those things you try once, realize after you get to the lake that you did it wrong, it ruins your trip and you decide to let someone who knows what they are doing do it from then on out. 

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2005, 04:08 PM »
No, actually it is one of those things you try once, realize after you get to the lake that you did it wrong, it ruins your trip and you decide to let someone who knows what they are doing do it from then on out. 

LOL...Yup, that about covers it.  ;) ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2005, 09:36 PM »
ive been doing mine for years and my eskimo has 2 blades to do. if you have a large fine sharpening stone and take your time its really not hard at all. just dont do like some guys and take the grinder to them and expect  em' to cut. it wont happen.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2005, 09:38 AM »
The biggest mistake everyone makes when sharpening the blades yourself is they try to sharpen the bottom of the blade as well.  If you touch it with a file your done and it won't cut a thing.  You can file the top across the chipper teeth and then use a stone to hone it to a razors edge.  If you have burs on the bottom take your stone and gently hone them down. 

I sharpen my chipper blade for my Strikemaster once a year and it cuts like a dream all season.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2005, 07:30 AM »
This seems to be a question posted every year. And yes you can do them yourself.
IF you take your time. The first thing you must do is LOOK at the blade and see where the cutting areas are on it Some blades have 2 cutting areas on 1 blade 1 area is for starting it into the ice the other is for shipping or shaving the ice. Between those 2 areas is a point or corner if you do not get that point or corner exact you got a piece of scrap metal. I own a old Normark and I can touch mine up and after 30 years I still have the same cutting head and it still cuts like butter. Getting the right angle is also important so if you want to try it go right ahead but here is what I recommend doing. Go to a woodcrafts store and get a honing tool for wood planes one that adjusts angles clamp the blade to it and adjust the angle to the stone. If your blade is so dull it won't cut paper start with a course stone and make a few passes over it Remember only sharpen the beveled side of the blade! Then switch to a med stone and do the same thing take a few passes till it becomes pretty sharp. Then switch to a fine stone and really add a edge. If you can not cut paper with ease you will not cut ice. After you get a edge you will find a burr on the flat side of the blade take the blade out of the holder lie flat on stone. and just 1 or 2 passes will remove it. DO NOT add any Angle to the back side of cutter as this will put the cutting edge away from ice and leave you with a piece of junk. After all this check to make sure the starter point of the blade is sharp too With a bright light shining down on the edge of blade you might see a shine on the exact cutting edge If you do you have a dull spot and go back and re-hone the blade.  When you get it so there is no shinny areas on the blade you got it. Just a suggestion here is if you have a pond nearby go try it out and another suggestion is get a new set of blades this way if you do screw it up it won't be a lost day on the ice just put the new blades on and  you still can fish then go home and work on fine tuning the other blades. When you finally get it down right you will see how easy it can be. Patience is needed to do this and what ever you do DO NOT use a elect grinder on these blades you will take the temper out of the steel and for sure they will be junk!
Cold Feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.